Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-31-2015, 04:22 PM   #1061
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Default Re: List Of your favorite Custom Perks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blood Legend View Post
@Rocket; this is why you guys are my people. Achievement: Reference Get [10].
:) As it happens, you picked one of my favorite plays of all time. And one that I just performed in last February.

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 12:32 PM   #1062
tachyonic

Hey I have a question: Anyone have a good idea of a Perk that is the opposite of the quirk "Dull"? I'm looking for a watered-down version of Versatile [5] that doesn't have the potential drawbacks and dangers of the quirk "Imaginative", but that doesn't have as broad a bonus as Versatile. Any ideas folks? I'm thinking of calling it "Creative", but I don't exactly know what a balanced but worthwhile game effect would look like...
tachyonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 12:45 PM   #1063
johndallman
Night Watchman

"I've got a great idea!" +1 to influence rolls to convince people that an idea you just thought of is a good one.

Creative <skill>: +1 to a specific skill for the same things as Versatile.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 02:14 PM   #1064
tachyonic

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
"I've got a great idea!" +1 to influence rolls to convince people that an idea you just thought of is a good one.

Creative <skill>: +1 to a specific skill for the same things as Versatile.
I especially like that first one. Do you think it would be play-balanced to impose Unreliable on Versatile? You're not *always* creative enough to warrant a bonus...but you sometimes get inspired.
tachyonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 02:52 PM   #1065
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by tachyonic View Post
Hey I have a question: Anyone have a good idea of a Perk that is the opposite of the quirk "Dull"? I'm looking for a watered-down version of Versatile [5] that doesn't have the potential drawbacks and dangers of the quirk "Imaginative", but that doesn't have as broad a bonus as Versatile. Any ideas folks? I'm thinking of calling it "Creative", but I don't exactly know what a balanced but worthwhile game effect would look like...
Maybe limit it only to skills above a certain value? Versatile boosts all imaginative skills and situations even if you barely know anything about them.
Old 06-20-2015, 03:18 PM   #1066
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by tachyonic View Post
Do you think it would be play-balanced to impose Unreliable on Versatile?
The -80% you need to get Versatile down to a perk reduces it to working on a 5 or less on 3d. Which is pretty much guaranteed not to work at the appropriate time.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 04:55 AM   #1067
dfinlay

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
I'm having trouble seeing why this is a perk, rather than quirk-level Phantom Voices.
My understanding was that the utility is in that another player has official permission to check your thinking and provude advice, though only based on the info you have. Seems useful and worth a point to me.
dfinlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 09:12 AM   #1068
aesir23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Maybe limit it only to skills above a certain value? Versatile boosts all imaginative skills and situations even if you barely know anything about them.
Yes, a variation on this would be fine, I think. You could be a "Versatile Writer", "Versatile Artist", of "Versatile Film-Maker." These would grant +1 only to creative or imaginative uses of that skill (e.g. you don't get this bonus to draw a picture of a suspect or write a grant proposal.)

I think it balances well with other other perks that improve skills (e.g. Equipment Bond and Hyper-Specialization.)
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 06:52 PM   #1069
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesir23 View Post
Yes, a variation on this would be fine, I think. You could be a "Versatile Writer", "Versatile Artist", of "Versatile Film-Maker." These would grant +1 only to creative or imaginative uses of that skill (e.g. you don't get this bonus to draw a picture of a suspect or write a grant proposal.)

I think it balances well with other other perks that improve skills (e.g. Equipment Bond and Hyper-Specialization.)
Oh, that's much better than where my mind was wandering. Not to mention, it sounds even more realistic than across the board Versatile.

Semi-OT: My drawing skill is near that of my artistic girlfriend. But her artistic versatility leads to prettier products, especially when I don't have my subject(s) in front of me.
I guess I might have a zero point quirk: Hidebound Drawing. ;)

Last edited by Flyndaran; 06-23-2015 at 06:58 PM.
Flyndaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 10:41 PM   #1070
WaterAndWindSpirit

Can eat what they want without getting fat.: Self-explanatory really. Reimu Hakurei from Touhou Project explicitly has that perk. I might use it in an Ultra Tech game with an "Advanced Sugar Furnace" military gene mod.

"Originally developed by civilian geneticists to fight obesity by allowing most absorbed sugar to be burned regardless of physical activity (even if that sugar is "wasted" during periods of low activity), it had the side effect of allowing more efficient sugar burning during physical exertion and made people much harder to tire. Military applications were obvious, though it is still used in the civilian world. It is banned in athletics competitions though."

Advanced Sugar Furnace:

FP +2 (limitation: cannot be spend for missed meals, drinks, or sleep -40%) [4]
Perk: Can eat what they want without getting fat. [1]
WaterAndWindSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
house rules, perks