Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 06-08-2015, 04:05 PM   #1
negru08

Default New to Munchkin and board games completely....kinda...

Hello all. Me and my friends have been playing Smash up for the last few months and are starting to get burned on it. We are waiting on the expansions packs to comes out. One of those packs is Munchkin which got me looking into this game. It seems like a very fun game to play with 4-5 people.

But I am new to buying games like this and dont know where to even start. I see that munchkin has so many versions/expansions of the game and I dont know what I need to buy or what pack expansion works with what or if they all work together like smash up.

If anyone would be willing to help me and point me in the right direction or give me a brief explanation of what versions I need/should buy and how all these other expansions work with the main game. That would be great. Also I read somewhere that the older rules were kinda broken and if I had a game prior to a certain date I had to update it? What is that all about?

Thank you for your time :)
negru08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 04:12 PM   #2
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Default Re: New to Munchkin and board games completely....kinda...

Unless your game store has more than half an inch of dust on its shelves, any sets you buy now should have updated cards and rules. (If you want to be SURE, look for a printing date later than 2010.)

Each core game stands on its own and may be enjoyed without any other games or expansions. If you're a new player, I would suggest either original Munchkin or Munchkin Legends as a starting point.

We've posted a Flash demo that gives a brief introduction to the rules of the game: http://www.worldofmunchkin.com/game/demo.html Wil Wheaton's show TableTop also had a Munchkin episode, although some of the specific situations seemed to run contrary to the rules because of the way the show was edited. (Cutting over two hours of game into a 20-minute episode left a lot on the floor...)

The folks here on these forums are happy to answer any questions you might have.

Welcome to Munchkin -- I wish you fun gaming and much looting!

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 04:32 PM   #3
negru08

Thank you! I will have a look at that. Just a bit confused as to like Munchkin 2 Unnatural Axe. It says requires original game. So it doesn't stand by itself. But Munchkin Cthulhu or Munckin Quest do?
Old 06-08-2015, 05:40 PM   #4
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Generally, expansions go only with the game they expand. So Munchkin 2 is an expansion for Munchkin and Munchkin Cthulhu 2 is an expansion for Munchkin Cthulhu. There are a few exceptions, but stick to this rule and you won't go wrong.

Munchkin Quest is its own beast, and none of the other Munchkin games are compatible with it. I also would not recommend it to brand-new board gamers; it's a more complex game and the rules assume some familiarity with playing games in general that you may not have.

If you're looking for a true "starter set," let me recommend Munchkin Treasure Hunt. It's a simple game, rated for ages 6 and up, and it has just enough Munchkin-type mechanics to be a good introduction to Munchkin. It's currently available at Toys"R"Us but will be going into the general hobby-game market this fall.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 06:32 PM   #5
negru08

Thank you :) problem is the game store here doesn't have it so I will have to buy online. How can I tell if it's the new rules?
Old 06-08-2015, 07:06 PM   #6
MunchkinMan

You could tell someone at your local store what you want and see if they can order it or you. We can't tell you what some other online retailer would have, but I would be extremely confident in saying that Warehouse 23 has only new product. So, if your local game store can't or won't order something for you, and you don't have access to a Barnes & Noble (all three in my area usually have a fair amount of Munchkin product, but only base sets, no expansions), you could go the online route.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 10:30 AM   #7
negru08

Gah there are so many Munckin decks....Its overwhelming. It states that it is a standalone game but can be used with the original. How does that work. Im just lost on which decks I need to buy to enjoy this game. Just buy Munckin 1-6 and none of the expansions like cathulu or skull crushers.
Old 06-10-2015, 11:16 AM   #8
MunchkinMan

Andrew suggested earlier in this thread that you consider Munchkin or Munchkin Legends, since those games are rather basic in comparison to some of the other genres. It's best to learn how to play with a core game before adding an expansion. Anything with a number as part of the name is an expansion (Munchkin 2 is an expansion for Munchkin, Munchkin Cthluhu 2 is an expansion for Munchkin Cthulhu). If it doesn't have a number, it's a standalone core game, so Munchkin Cthulhu is not an expansion, but it can be combined with another standalone game to make a "mashup" game. That, however, is an advanced topic we won't cover here.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 11:24 AM   #9
negru08

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunchkinMan View Post
Andrew suggested earlier in this thread that you consider Munchkin or Munchkin Legends, since those games are rather basic in comparison to some of the other genres. It's best to learn how to play with a core game before adding an expansion. Anything with a number as part of the name is an expansion (Munchkin 2 is an expansion for Munchkin, Munchkin Cthluhu 2 is an expansion for Munchkin Cthulhu). If it doesn't have a number, it's a standalone core game, so Munchkin Cthulhu is not an expansion, but it can be combined with another standalone game to make a "mashup" game. That, however, is an advanced topic we won't cover here.
Well our group currently plays Smash Up so we are familiar with the concept of additional cards that bring there own rules...like the Cthulhu smashup introduced madness cards. I am sure we can handle a few expansions at a time like Munchkin 1-6. My question more or less it for example Munchkin Cthulhu is stated as a standalone game but can be added to the munchkin series. Would that be like the same that happens in Smash up? We get new cards with unique rules but still follows the core game design and rule and then just become extra cards you can pick and play with?
Old 06-10-2015, 11:56 AM   #10
Devin Lewis
Munchkin Associate Dev

Practically speaking yes. There are some slight rules variances, but combining two core sets of Munchkin just means there are more cards to choose from.