Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 01-11-2019, 01:24 PM   #1
hcobb

Default Necropus speculation

When we finally see the Necropus in an adventure she will be revealed as:
  • An IQ 19 Octopus with a fascinating backstory of where she got the 130 million XPs.
  • The IQ 19 Octopus, but the writer didn't do the math.
  • A Halfling using 10 ST boosting wishes and a shapeshift.
  • An IQ 10 Octopus using a nifty animate skeleton item.
  • An IQ 10 Octopus acting as a front for the real necromancers.
  • An illusion of an Octopus cast by the real necromancer.
  • Something else?

Last edited by hcobb; 01-11-2019 at 01:50 PM.
hcobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 06:35 PM   #2
Skarg

Default Re: Necropus speculation

I'm hoping for:

* Explanation of how non-humans have at least slightly different mechanics for using XP to adjust their attributes, rather than basing everything on the same human-oriented experience table.

The new rules have clear issues with all the characters who don't start at 32 points and who don't max out about 40 points, as well as having information gaps and causing logical inconsistencies for NPCs, gargoyles, dragons, etc.

It seems to me the needed thing is to make corrections, not to apply the letter of the rules and suffer the weird consequences.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 10:49 AM   #3
hcobb

How to get 130 million XP:

Have a complete gaming session each weeknight where you earn 100 XPs.

Meet 250 times a year for 25k XPs a year.

In your day job start construction of Stonehenge and you'll have the 130 million XPs now.
Old 01-14-2019, 01:16 PM   #4
larsdangly

I very much like how the new XP rules work for humans, but agree the broader implications for other beings either hasn't been thought through or hasn't been explained. A related issue is the difference between PC's and NPCs from exotic races (e.g., reptile men) - it just isn't clear why it exists or how PC's are supposed to evolve to be like their NPC counterparts.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 01:23 PM   #5
hcobb

I have a house rule that works for this case:

The 54 point Octopus is then only 108,000 XPs over a 45 point Octopus. If we add 500 XPs for at least one spell and say 38 mana the total is 116,100 XPs which is only 194 years at 600 XPs per year. Round up to an even two centuries with a handful of additional high level spells.
Old 01-14-2019, 05:15 PM   #6
Skarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
I have a house rule that works for this case:

The 54 point Octopus is then only 108,000 XPs over a 45 point Octopus. If we add 500 XPs for at least one spell and say 38 mana the total is 116,100 XPs which is only 194 years at 600 XPs per year. Round up to an even two centuries with a handful of additional high level spells.
It seems to me that the issue, however, is that some races have different proportions of ST to DX to IQ, so using a table that only takes into account attribute total is weirdly charging astronomical XP to increase any attribute based on how amazing a human would be if they had developed super-human abilities. But superhuman ST (for example) is just average for an octopus, giant, reptile man or gargoyle, so unless a race is supposed to have a hard time developing other attributes (e.g. giants, gargoyles), the high-for-humans-but-normal-for-other-races attribute totals shouldn't be making them pay many times more XP to develop themselves.

It seems to me that non-human races with non-32-point-starting-PC's and non-base-8 attributes and/or maximum attributes should have adjustments to the XP needed to improve their attributes, proportional to those values.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote