Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Warehouse 23 > Pyramid

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2018, 12:12 PM   #41
Fred Brackin
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Default Re: Public Announcement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
We intend to treat issues of Volume 3 of Pyramid – that is, those released as PDFs on Warehouse 23 – as standard items in our permanent library. They will not disappear. In the past, when things have disappeared, they've been either licensed (and the license expired) or limited-time bundles. Pyramid issues are neither.
Thank you. That's what I expected but being sure is nice.
__________________
Fred Brackin
Fred Brackin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 12:55 PM   #42
mehrkat
 
mehrkat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Austin Texas
Default Re: Public Announcement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
We intend to treat issues of Volume 3 of Pyramid – that is, those released as PDFs on Warehouse 23 – as standard items in our permanent library. They will not disappear. In the past, when things have disappeared, they've been either licensed (and the license expired) or limited-time bundles. Pyramid issues are neither.
I am also glad of the issues staying in the catalog. I wasn't really in a financial position to get a subscription until issue #66. I've been slowly filling in my library but I'm still 30 issues from completing my back catalog. These might take a year or two but they are definite purchases for me because I want my collection to be complete.
__________________
He stared out in the distance to see the awesome might of the Meerkat war party.
mehrkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 01:17 PM   #43
Jonas
 
Jonas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Default Re: Public Announcement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
We intend to treat issues of Volume 3 of Pyramid – that is, those released as PDFs on Warehouse 23 – as standard items in our permanent library. They will not disappear. In the past, when things have disappeared, they've been either licensed (and the license expired) or limited-time bundles. Pyramid issues are neither.
Thank you. I was just asking about this on the Discord a few minutes ago and I am quite relived to hear that. I recall the grumbling that happened then the origional Pyramid archives were shut down before the current PDF format was launched and didn't wish to see history repeate itself.
__________________
Waiting for:
Gurps VDS
Gurps Armory (One can dream)
----
Per ardua ad astra "Through hard-work to the stars."
Jonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 03:22 PM   #44
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor
 
Kromm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Montréal, Québec
Default Re: Public Announcement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas View Post

Thank you. I was just asking about this on the Discord a few minutes ago and I am quite relived to hear that. I recall the grumbling that happened then the origional Pyramid archives were shut down before the current PDF format was launched and didn't wish to see history repeate itself.
The difference is that Volume 2 of Pyramid was not a series of discrete products with product numbers, sold individually; it was a horde of html documents that subscribers could see and non-subscribers could not see on an all-or-nothing basis. Just as issues of Volume 1 were sold individually on paper and are now available as individual PDFs, issues of Volume 3 were sold individually as PDFs and will continue to be sold that way. Volume 2 was a victim of its medium; Marshall McLuhan would feel vindicated.
__________________
Sean "Dr. Kromm" Punch <kromm@sjgames.com>
GURPS Line Editor, Steve Jackson Games
My LiveJournal [Just GURPS News][Just The Company]
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 07:32 PM   #45
lachimba
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sydney
Default Re: Public Announcement

Thoughts on the decision and this thread:

Sorry to hear as I quite liked many of the things Pyramid did.

and more positively:

(Standard disclaimer about knowing nothing about internal SJ Games Decisions)

1. Maybe there is now a small space for a dedicated DF (I'd say DFRPG, but I doubt that) subscription. It wouldn't necessarily be announced now even if it was going to be Pyramid rebranded a "DF Mag", but even as a different model (eg curated Monsters once a week for $1) that would be interesting.


2. Maybe there is now more space for projects like "Halls Of Judgement" That sort of thing, and by extension Doug actually contracting other writers, would be a (very) small space for other talent to do something different than even what they could do in Pyramid. i.e. actual in print books through Kickstarter getting GURPS out there more than a single issue of Pyramid (unfortunately) ever could. (Even point 1. could be tried out as in a Kickstarter with a one year subscription to a DFRPG series... potentially in print no less!)

Maybe the hands will be taken off the reigns a little more and there is room for others than Doug to move into this space as well.


3. Maybe there will be a huge sink into updating some pretty amazing older GURPS Pyramid (and why not extracts from books?!) into GURPS 4E. Do I want a good new article in Pyramid or an updated amazing Pyramid article from 2000 that I missed or never have time to update?

Last edited by lachimba; 07-25-2018 at 07:47 PM.
lachimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 08:48 PM   #46
Dominator
 
Dominator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: KC-1
Default Re: Public Announcement

Thanks for this insight into why this might not hurt GURPS in the long run.

It still seems like some horrible mistake, but obviously good things are still happening for GURPS/DFRPG like the "Hall of Judgment" kickstarter (proud backer!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
For those wondering what this development means for GURPS, and how GURPS could be doing okay while Pyramid is being cut:
__________________
In failed campaigns, selfishness always demands that someone bears the blame. Had it not been for that someone, we would have been successful in everything.
- Helmuth von Moltke
Dominator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 10:42 PM   #47
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics
 
DouglasCole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Burnsville, MN
Default Re: Public Announcement

Quote:
Originally Posted by lachimba View Post

2. Maybe there is now more space for projects like "Halls Of Judgement" That sort of thing, and by extension Doug actually contracting other writers, would be a (very) small space for other talent to do something different than even what they could do in Pyramid. i.e. actual in print books through Kickstarter getting GURPS out there more than a single issue of Pyramid (unfortunately) ever could. (Even point 1. could be tried out as in a Kickstarter with a one year subscription to a DFRPG series... potentially in print no less!)
I like offering print, so anything I do will appear that way as well as in PDF.

I could see a few ways of bringing new authors along in the absence of Pyramid, but I need to get my head out of my . . . project . . . before I can give this proper thought.

Fortunately, the project needs to be done in PDF form by July 31 for me to meet my promised PDF delivery date of August 1, so I will be able to think on this soon enough.
__________________
The Deadly Spring "...probably the most infamous Pyramid article of all time."-Jeffro's Car Wars Blog
Gaming Ballistic: Home of Gaming Ballistic, LLC and my blog.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 12:22 AM   #48
Refplace
 
Refplace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Yukon, OK
Default Re: Public Announcement

Quote:
Originally Posted by lachimba View Post
3. Maybe there will be a huge sink into updating some pretty amazing older GURPS Pyramid (and why not extracts from books?!) into GURPS 4E. Do I want a good new article in Pyramid or an updated amazing Pyramid article from 2000 that I missed or never have time to update?
See this Illuminator the call to update old articles from prior incarnations is already out.

Also while a lot of the content seen in Pyramid may have never seen the light of day without it I can see a lot of that type of content being expanded into full supplements. Look at the Wishlist and some books can be as short as 12 pages. I can think of several settings and adventures that would be great at that size.

And an idea to toss out there. How about an annual Collection issue?
Once a year (or quarter and keep with the theme idea) produce a supplement of several articles that are interesting but not big enough to fit into a full supplement by themselves. That also could be an entry point for new authors.
__________________
Looking for group in my area
My GURPS official contributions
My GURPS fan contribution and blog:
REFPLace GURPS Landing Page
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 12:49 AM   #49
lachimba
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sydney
Default Re: Public Announcement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Also while a lot of the content seen in Pyramid may have never seen the light of day without it I can see a lot of that type of content being expanded into full supplements. Look at the Wishlist and some books can be as short as 12 pages. I can think of several settings and adventures that would be great at that size.
Well I know, for example, that there is at least one 4E fantasy adventure in Pyramid volume 2 that can be updated to the new format and perhaps expanded a little.

I make no comment on the workload or likely sales, but that's a way to get one more adventure added to the DF adventures.
lachimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 01:13 AM   #50
Derrick_rp
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Default Re: Public Announcement

I, for one, would love a full Roma Universalis book. Most of the work has been done.
Derrick_rp is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.