Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Other Munchkin Games

Old 05-21-2015, 07:17 PM   #1
jrichview

Default Monster color DUH question

I must be dense. To me the monster color roll is unclear.

When I first read this monster rule:

Quote:
5. Newly explored rooms always have a monster! Draw the top
Monster card and find the monster’s standie. Roll the Monster Die to see
what color its base is (the player of that color gets a DxM). If no bases of
the rolled color are available, you get to choose the base – but the player
of the chosen color does not get a DxM! If no bases at all are available
... I assumed the colored die only had 4 possible colors. Had I considered that assumption for an extra 10 seconds or just examined the die I would have realized quickly that you can't fairly represent 4 colors on a 6 sider.

We have only played this game once, but we figured we should just reroll util we got one of the 4 colors. Is that what everyone does? If not, what happens when one of the other two colors comes up for monster color?

Seems like it could be stated more clearly one way or the other.
jrichview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 08:23 PM   #2
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Default Re: Monster color DUH question

Kevin is correct. If you roll a color with an available base, use it and that player draws a DxM. Otherwise, pick a base color and no one draws a DxM for the color.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 03:10 AM   #3
TheRaven81

Those colors aren't just there to fill space on the die, either - all of the 6 colors exist. If you purchase Munchkin Quest 2: Looking For Trouble, it includes additional play pieces to expand to 5 or 6 players, and they are - you guessed it - Orange and Purple, which are the 2 other colors on the die besides the 4 that come with the base set.
TheRaven81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 07:37 AM   #4
jrichview

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRaven81 View Post
Those colors aren't just there to fill space on the die, either - all of the 6 colors exist. If you purchase Munchkin Quest 2: Looking For Trouble, it includes additional play pieces to expand to 5 or 6 players, and they are - you guessed it - Orange and Purple, which are the 2 other colors on the die besides the 4 that come with the base set.
Thanks, that is good to know! It's often 3 of us, but once in a while 5 or 6 would come in handy!
Old 03-01-2016, 07:40 AM   #5
jrichview

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
Kevin is correct. If you roll a color with an available base, use it and that player draws a DxM. Otherwise, pick a base color and no one draws a DxM for the color.
I think we may enact a house rule on this one. Given the cards that give immunity to a particular color, I think picking is a little too powerful. Randomness would be helpful for balance.

What I may do is get the expansion so I have all the colors (I plan to get it regardless), and then if a base color is rolled for which there's no player, nobody gets a card, but we go ahead and use the color. Otherwise what happens is the immunity to color X card becomes 100% completely useless for any color which does not have a player.
Old 03-01-2016, 08:46 AM   #6
jrichview

Oops, spoke too soon. Apparently there's a serious lack of availability of MQ2. I want it but I'm not paying gougers for it.

Hope SJ puts it back into print.
Old 03-01-2016, 11:59 AM   #7
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrichview View Post
What I may do is get the expansion so I have all the colors (I plan to get it regardless), and then if a base color is rolled for which there's no player, nobody gets a card, but we go ahead and use the color.
We toyed with this, but it lets WAY too many monsters on the board. A max of three monsters per player is about the right difficulty for the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrichview View Post
Oops, spoke too soon. Apparently there's a serious lack of availability of MQ2. I want it but I'm not paying gougers for it.

Hope SJ puts it back into print.
There are copies at some of our distributors, and of course many game stores will still have copies available. We always encourage people to try special ordering from their FLGS or asking around to other nearby stores before paying eBay scalper prices.

You could also order it directly from Warehouse 23; I just went out and confirmed that we have stock on hand.

Currently, we have no plans to reprint MQ2 once it goes away.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 12:12 PM   #8
jrichview

Quote:
We toyed with this, but it lets WAY too many monsters on the board. A max of three monsters per player is about the right difficulty for the game.
Hm, an excellent point I hadn't thought through. Maybe we could let the person of lowest level make the color choice. Or stick with our re-rolling approach we've been using. Can be annoying when you repeatedly get an invalid color, but works.

Quote:
There are copies at some of our distributors, and of course many game stores will still have copies available. We always encourage people to try special ordering from their FLGS or asking around to other nearby stores before paying eBay scalper prices.

You could also order it directly from Warehouse 23; I just went out and confirmed that we have stock on hand.

Currently, we have no plans to reprint MQ2 once it goes away.
Very helpful tip, thanks! I wish I had found that out sooner. In a flurry of googling I found a Canadian store that had it in stock. I'm paying a little more on shipping, and perhaps waiting longer, but I already ordered it.

If something falls through I will go there though.