Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-28-2015, 07:15 AM   #31
cptbutton

Default Re: How to cripple a WWII army

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
I suppose. Though the ocean is suddenly impassible does give you the units cut off from home all over the world effect T2K uses a lot of.
For a less supernatural closing of the oceans, maybe a really big tsunami wrecks most if not all of the ports or the North Atlantic?

On a larger scale fragmenting comet could drop chunks in various oceans causing tsunamis in a lot of places, and destroying much of the world's shipping. Or a mysterious outbreak of major earthquakes around the world.

(Did I just reinvent Lucifer's Hammer?)
cptbutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 07:42 AM   #32
SRoach

An Archangel says "No".
Suddenly everyone is using more "appropriate" weapons.
Bows and swords for rifles.
Chariots and team drawn siege weapons replace the tanks.
A dove cote replaces the radio shack.
Not that anyone knows how to USE these anachronisms.
SRoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 12:17 PM   #33
fredtheobviouspseudonym

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptbutton View Post
For a less supernatural closing of the oceans, maybe a really big tsunami wrecks most if not all of the ports or the North Atlantic?
The Canary Island mega-slide starts a tsunami that trashes most of the US East Coast and, I presume, much of the European Atlantic ports.

Liverpool would have to get a side-swipe effect (the tsunami would have to swing around Ireland) but if the original tsunami was big enough it would take out the port. Any port at the head of a narrowing estuary could have a really dramatic effect -- the rising sea bed and the high land on both sides would confine the tsunami and make it really high. Apparently the Thera/Santorini tsunami hit some narrow inlets on Turkey's south-eastern coast and the wave left traces some 600+ feet above high-tide level.

See http://rense.com/general13/tidal.htm for some scientists' ideas on the subject.
fredtheobviouspseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 08:41 AM   #34
acrosome

The non-nuclear winter has a lot of potential. One would suppose that demons might be able to arrange a megavolcano. But an even worse influenza epidemic- possibly engineered, though that would be hard to justify at TL6/7- is a good one, too. A superfatal plague is IMO the best apocalypse scenario for post-apoc gaming in general.
acrosome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 07:06 PM   #35
RyanW

Okay, now that I have some time, I can give a little more detail and respond to a few of these.

When Hitler gave his Nero Decree in March 1945, instead of giving the authority to Speer (who historically subverted the order), he gives it to Himmler. Himmler talks it over with his people and the Ahnenerbe say they have exactly the solution. The resulting flood of demons are what I want to result in a scenario somewhat like Twilight 2000.

Since WWII gear is a significant part of the desired game, the "it all just quits working" ideas won't really work. But the idea of the oceans being quite dangerous would work nicely, the leviathan gives sea demons plenty of precedent. Plague and fire-and-brimstone (Volcano? Meteor?) would be perfectly reasonable for a mass die off. Demonically enthralled humans (zombies, minus the being dead part, in all but name) could be a threat.

The tricky part is coming up with a way to make it break an army, but give small groups a chance at survival.
Old 10-29-2015, 07:27 PM   #36
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
The tricky part is coming up with a way to make it break an army, but give small groups a chance at survival.
An army without logistics will soon cease to be an army. WWII armies are too numerous to live off the land (even if working the land is feasible) even for food and depend on a supply line for fuel and replacement of manufactured equipment and parts as well to maintain anything like normal functioning.

A small group has a chance to 'forage' enough food, at least. Equipment and fuel for any vehicles would be very much catch-as-catch-can, of course.

Though in an apocalypse, I'd think that any remaining government in Britain would have an interest in getting surviving troops back home. They can use the bodies and the equipment both. America might be cut off by the demon-haunted Atlantic, but the channel is probably not entirely impassable.

Tags
wwii