Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 03-17-2013, 12:59 PM   #1
porkchpexprs

Default Initial Character Creation Question

Hi. I'm new to Munchkin and really think I'll get into the game, but I do still have questions after playing my first couple games. For starters, the rules sheet says that during everyone's opportunity to create their starting characters, before the first turn of the game is actually taken, that players can put down races, classes, and "usable items." It's the "usable" part that leaves me unclear. Are you not allowed to put down items that you can't use because of class or race restrictions? Can you put down one-shot items? And, what about cards like "Really Impressive Title?" Technically, that's not even an item.
porkchpexprs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 01:18 PM   #2
Blazinjsin

Default Re: Initial Character Creation Question

You can play any items that you can legally carry (any amount of small items, and only 1 big item unless you also play a dwarf card), and any card with a continuing effect (such as classes, races, and things like Really Impressive Title).

Check out my trades ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) 🍕
Blazinjsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 03:54 PM   #3
Clipper

Default Re: Initial Character Creation Question

I'd definitely allow Really Impressive Title, using the rule for charging ahead and doing it when in doubt. Hireling would also be OK. As Blazinjsin stated, it has been clarified elsewhere that anything that forms part of your character and sticks around on the table is acceptable to play during this stage (note: that does not include Curses and GUALs, wait until the first player's turn to play those).

However, you do make a good point about only being able to play Items that are usable. There is no real benefit to playing such Items until your turn anyway, so perhaps it's best to keep them. The only benefit you would get from playing them during Character Creation is if somebody who is playing before you wanted to trade with you, which seems unlikely. One-Shot Items would count as usable, so you could play them during Character Creation, but why would you want to? It's usually better to keep them hidden in your hand. Note that Charity won't happen until the end of your turn, so there is no real need to reduce your hand size during Character Creation.

Last edited by Clipper; 03-17-2013 at 03:57 PM.
Clipper is offline   Reply With Quote