Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-31-2010, 09:10 AM   #1
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Default Deflect Missle spell and Rapid Fire

I've be trying to think of a Blocking spell that useful against RoF weapons.

Normally the Margin of you Dodge success determines how many projectiles hit you. But none of the Block spells seem to be combatle with RoF weapons.

Any ideas?
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 10:53 AM   #2
raven_walker

Default Re: Deflect Missle spell and Rapid Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl View Post

Normally the Margin of you Dodge success determines how many projectiles hit you. But none of the Block spells seem to be combatle with RoF weapons.

Any ideas?
I would simply substitute the margin of success on the spell. (YMMV, but Missile Shield would avoid all RoF attacks, so it wouldn't be terribly unbalancing compared to Dodge.)

(You could also simply allow Deflect Missile to affect an entire burst, but that may depend on how you interpret the physics of the spell effect.)
raven_walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 05:27 PM   #3
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl

Well, Blink works, but maybe that is not the way you want to go. You probably need to invent a new spell, maybe an improved version of Deflect Missile.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 07:51 PM   #4
Gudiomen

I'd have to review the spell descriptions, but it's been my understanding or ruling in the past that the "one attack" that they defend against is the result of one attack roll, which may very well be a burst of fire. Deflect Energy for example is useful in defending against a dragon's breath, which can very well be stated as having a RoF (it can be hosed, after all, like a flamethrower or machine-gun).
Gudiomen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 08:23 PM   #5
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudiomen View Post
I'd have to review the spell descriptions, but it's been my understanding or ruling in the past that the "one attack" that they defend against is the result of one attack roll, which may very well be a burst of fire. Deflect Energy for example is useful in defending against a dragon's breath, which can very well be stated as having a RoF (it can be hosed, after all, like a flamethrower or machine-gun).
That sounds reasonable. Got anywhere I should look for the one one attack roll ruling vs Burst? For RAW purposes. (I like it and will probably use it as a house rule anyway, but i prefer to know when I'm doing so or not 8) )
Old 06-01-2010, 09:22 PM   #6
cccwebs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudiomen View Post
Nope. Deflect Missile states that it deflects one missile, not one attack, and that it counts as a Parry. I'd say that in this case, Deflect Missile can only be cast against projectiles that could normally be parried, which usually leaves most high RoF weapons out. As for Deflect Energy and a dragon's flame attack, if that dragon's flame attack is a Jet, then the caster will have to cast Deflect Energy for every second he stands inside the flame. Besides, most dragon's breath weapons are cone attacks, which are incompatible with jet (though alternative attacks could model a "flamethrower" breath and a cone breath).
cccwebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 09:49 PM   #7
copeab

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl View Post
I suggest you go all out and use Reverse Missiles. I know in 3e it was the easiest and cheapest way to kill enemies with automatic weapons ;)

(Grimoire had a blocking version, which we never used, that might have ended up in 4e)

GURPS 3e stuff: http://copeab.tripod.com
copeab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 09:59 PM   #8
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Originally Posted by copeab View Post
I suggest you go all out and use Reverse Missiles. I know in 3e it was the easiest and cheapest way to kill enemies with automatic weapons ;)

(Grimoire had a blocking version, which we never used, that might have ended up in 4e)
4e has Return Missile, but has the same Parry wording that cccwebs is complaining about in Defect Missle. but with out the italics on the "one".

While I do know the Regular spell will work, but I wanted a Blocking spell that work when the spell caster use when the enemy gets a drop on him.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:29 AM   #9
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl
While I do know the Regular spell will work, but I wanted a Blocking spell that work when the spell caster use when the enemy gets a drop on him.
LIS, you should just invent one. Something like:

Improved Deflect Missile
Blocking

As for Deflect Missile, but the subject may deflect additional missile attacks that turn, one extra missile for every two the success roll was made by [ex.: Mage casts Imp. DM on himself with effective skill of 16. His success roll is 11, making the roll by 5. He can deflect up to 3 missiles that turn].

Cost: 2
Prerequisite: Deflect Missile

I dunno how balanced that would actually be, but it should be in the ballpark of fairness.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 11:42 AM   #10
vitruvian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccwebs View Post
Nope. Deflect Missile states that it deflects one missile, not one attack, and that it counts as a Parry. I'd say that in this case, Deflect Missile can only be cast against projectiles that could normally be parried, which usually leaves most high RoF weapons out.
While you're right about the spell description saying one missile, I don't agree that Deflect Missile is not meant to work against bullets, even though those cannot normally be parried. After all,

1) it says it counts as a Parry, not that it works in every respect like a Parry, and

2) there are ways to enable characters to parry bullets
vitruvian is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blocking spells, rof