Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-05-2018, 06:54 AM   #21
Kelly Pedersen

Default Re: [Basic] Advantage of the Week (#53): Extra Head, Extra Mouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otaku View Post
If it is, I missed it even with Control + F.
You might be limiting the search a bit too much - "Born Biters" is on p. 115 of Martial Arts, bottom right of the "Teeth" box.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 09:18 AM   #22
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post
You might be limiting the search a bit too much - "Born Biters" is on p. 115 of Martial Arts, bottom right of the "Teeth" box.
He doesnt have Martial Arts, not in his sig line.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 09:29 AM   #23
Kelly Pedersen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
He doesnt have Martial Arts, not in his sig line.
Ah, you're right. Apologies, Otaku. I guess you were searching Power-Ups 2: Perks.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 12:39 PM   #24
Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post
Ah, you're right. Apologies, Otaku. I guess you were searching Power-Ups 2: Perks.
S'okay; GURPS Martial Arts is on my Wishlist, I just haven't made a lot of progress on it myself for various reasons. ^^'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
I realize that using extra mouth for pincers also requires an enhancement that the mouth doesn't have a jaw hit location.
Does it? I'm really quickly glancing at the Hit-Location stuff on p. B398, where "jaw" is part of the "Face" Hit-Location. If this is something handled in more detail in other supplements, okay: feel free to give us a page reference when you have the chance. Otherwise, I'm really not sure how to handle it; I'd go with what you say by default because that seems to be the "safe" approach, but an Extra Mouth gets wonky. I mean, your real jaw is what it is because it is on your face. An Extra Mouth on your hand, in your torso, on a tail, etc. still probably has teeth, might have a tongue, but if it is located close to your brain you've probably got an Extra Head situation.
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 12:44 PM   #25
Anthony

Quote:
Does it?
Jaw is a specific location in MA, and Born Biter interacts with it, so probably.
Old 03-05-2018, 12:54 PM   #26
Refplace

Quote:
Jaw is a specific location in MA, and Born Biter interacts with it, so probably.
Yeah but for Pincers I would treat them as an arm or hand for hit location purposes. A creature like this probably has a modified hit location table anyway.

I have usually used Extra Arm with No Fine Manipulators for pincers and add claws if thy can do damage. But the Extra Mouth idea has some merit, if only because its a simpler build.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 02:32 PM   #27
Otaku

Quote:
Does it?
Quote:
Quote:
If this is something handled in more detail in other supplements, okay: feel free to give us a page reference when you have the chance.
Okay. So when someone has a chance, a page number would be really handy.

Just to test my understanding, the idea is that both your original and any Extra Mouths are assumed to be located in a manner where being hit in the Jaw will produce certain results, so an Extra Mouth somewhere else needs an equivalent drawback or else this acts as an Enhancement.
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 02:43 PM   #28
Anthony

Quote:
Just to test my understanding, the idea is that both your original and any Extra Mouths are assumed to be located in a manner where being hit in the Jaw will produce certain results, so an Extra Mouth somewhere else needs an equivalent drawback or else this acts as an Enhancement.
Yes, though looking at extra mouth, which explicitly permits 'anywhere on the body', makes me uncertain. Part of the problem is born biter, which has an explicit tradeoff of making the jaw and nose easier to hit, and without that would be an advantage instead of a 0p feature.
Old 03-05-2018, 04:03 PM   #29
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Okay. So when someone has a chance, a page number would be really handy.
Pg 115 Martial Arts, box text labeled "Teeth".

Basically it details what you can bite based on you relative SM, frex if it's equal or smaller no biting your opponents skull. This is why the Born Biter feature is listed there, that alters the mouth for purposes of SM (making it bigger for biting and being hit).

Also other possibilities in combat are detailed, like worrying on follow-up turns, that teeth grapples are treated as two-handed, interaction with a few specific hit locations (nose and ear), throat bites are automatically strangles, etc.

Basically it really makes doing a Crab Claw as an Extra Mouth a great way to go...
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 05:28 AM   #30
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanny View Post
That should give you a free bite attack against any fist which punched the back of the skull.
This Does Not Follow. The mouth on the front of your head doesn't give you a "free bite" against people who punch your face, and you get to see THAT one coming.

Nothing in the description says that you get a "free attack" against someone who attacks a hit location with a mouth on it, and there's no precedent for that with a regular mouth.

The closest is the aggressive parry technique, which woudln't apply because you can't defend against attacks from behind.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advantage, advantage of the week, bruno, extra head, extra mouth, otaku, week, [basic]