Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-30-2011, 02:16 PM   #11
Purple Haze

Default Re: Multi-barrelled Guns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verjigorm View Post
Probably similar to any other rotary auto-cannon, stats for which can be found in High-Tech. But rotary cannons dont fire all their barrels at once...because they cant.
Well there was a Luftwaffe research project that fired two diametrically opposed barrels simultaneously. The US Navy weaponized it in the 50's, retired it after Vietnam.
Purple Haze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 09:44 AM   #12
Phex

Default Re: Multi-barrelled Guns

Thanks everybody for the opinions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexington
Oh, and looking at Low-Tech the canonical answer to multiple barrels that fire at once is to treat it like a shotgun with RoF 1x(n).
Thats a good hint! I totally missed that one and only checked for such guns in High-Tech!

I will copy an example for a multi-barrel gun out of the Low-Tech book for anyone who is interested:

"Flintlocks: Duck’s Foot Pistol (.40 caliber). Developed in 1720 for crowd control, this bizarre handgun has four barrels spreading out from a single lock that fires them all at once. At up to 2 yards, it acts as a RoF 1x4 weapon that can engage one target. At 3+ yards, it works like four RoF 1 guns! Pick a 30° arc (as for Spraying Fire, p. B409) and attack one foe there with one shot; he need not be in the center. Then use Hitting the Wrong Target (p. B389) for everyone else in the arc. Roll in order from right to left or vice versa – your option. If you somehow manage to hit four targets total, immediately stop rolling." (Low-Tech p. 93)

In the weapon table the RoF field is given as "spec.", probably to avoid confusion with a regular shotgun. Shots are listed as "1(20i)", which could be argued about since it uses four barrels. I am nevertheless really satisfied with this solution, it seems all reasonable is not too complex and can easily be modified for similar guns. By the way I think the Duck's Foot Pistol ist the only multi-barrel weapon mentioned. But that doesnt matter much, it therefore seems even more impressive. As already mentioned, the psychological impact of one or two of those must have been immense for a crowd of people.
Phex is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
multi-barrel, multiple shots, rof, volley gun