Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-10-2019, 04:15 PM   #1
AlexanderHowl

Default More efficient ghosts

I was curious if it would make more sense to have ghost existing physically on another plane and projecting their consciousness into the Material Plane? For example, a ghost could have Clairsentience (Projection, +0%; Increased Range 9, +90; World Spanning, +50%) for only 120 CP, which is a bit more useful and less complex than Insubstantiality (Always On, -50%) [40], Invisibility (Accessibility, Material Only, -10%; Affects Machines, +50%) [56], and Dark Vision [25]. In the former case, it takes you a minute to start, but then you can reposition within a 10 km radius with a second of concentration. In the latter case, you have to move yourself anywhere you want to go.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 04:19 PM   #2
Refplace

Default Re: More efficient ghosts

Depends on what you want. With the Clairsentience build ghosts are less vulnerable and alot of the effects described in myth and fiction arent as doable.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 05:16 PM   #3
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
I was curious if it would make more sense to have ghost existing physically on another plane and projecting their consciousness into the Material Plane?
It's reasonable for a game that is primarily set in the realms of the dead (or wherever you put ghosts), but it's a general property of telepresence-type builds that the GM will introduce problems that apply to your actual body.
Old 06-10-2019, 06:38 PM   #4
Flyndaran
Untagged

It would be an unusual campaign to seek out a path to the realm of the dead in order to kill the body of the ghost plaguing your village.
Old 06-10-2019, 08:33 PM   #5
AlexanderHowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
It would be an unusual campaign to seek out a path to the realm of the dead in order to kill the body of the ghost plaguing your village.
A projection can be killed by anything that can target insubstantial beings.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 01:08 AM   #6
Plane

Quote:
I was curious if it would make more sense to have ghost existing physically on another plane and projecting their consciousness into the Material Plane?
I can think of one example from a TV series with the initials LQ, but it is a different concept from most ghosts and comes with its own vulnerabilities, such as the projecting body being attacked.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 01:23 AM   #7
Rupert

The Clairsentience version is unable to affect the material world it's viewing. For that it needs the +140% version. Also, unless you take Second Nature it takes a second of concentration just to rotate one's POV or move it a few yards.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 03:47 AM   #8
The Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Unusual, but would seem congruent with a lot of real world traditions - or at least having a shaman send out his spirit body to the otherworld to kill a hostile ghost might well be...
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 10:09 AM   #9
Flyndaran
Untagged

I meant unusual in the sense of novel, not unpleasant or untenable for gaming.
Old 06-12-2019, 04:02 PM   #10
Astromancer

Quote:
I was curious if it would make more sense to have ghost existing physically on another plane and projecting their consciousness into the Material Plane? For example, a ghost could have Clairsentience (Projection, +0%; Increased Range 9, +90; World Spanning, +50%) for only 120 CP, which is a bit more useful and less complex than Insubstantiality (Always On, -50%) [40], Invisibility (Accessibility, Material Only, -10%; Affects Machines, +50%) [56], and Dark Vision [25]. In the former case, it takes you a minute to start, but then you can reposition within a 10 km radius with a second of concentration. In the latter case, you have to move yourself anywhere you want to go.
As long as there is somekind of feedback in damage for breaking the rules. Say scanning a daylight area full of people could damage or kill a ghost. Ghosts need to have somekind of vulnerability.

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote