Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 09-23-2020, 02:26 PM   #91
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: DreadStormers (OOC)

Wow these dice! everything is happening at once!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomesofZurich View Post
Okay, Day is going to keep hold of the cook's hand and try Mental Surgery again (at a -1 penalty and 1 FP) to give him Delusion (Day did not just try to alter my brain).

[87] 20-09-23 18:27:26 CEST

Mental Surgery (at -1 for repeated attempt) to give Delusion (Day did not just try to alter my brain)

3d6 <= 16
6 + 6 + 1 = 13 ... success by 3

If this doesn't work, he'll have to resort to Suggestion to have the cook keep his mouth shut.

Mind Control uses different rules for repeated attempts: by default, you can't repeat a use of mind control on someone who resisted it for 24 hours.

however... Suggestion has a "Pressed Attack" Technique that lets you ignore that, but at a pretty hefty penalty. (-7 in this case, see page 64 of psionic powers). If you want to apply that to mental surgery instead of suggestion that's fine. You will probably want to spend a bit of FP in that case. Please roll a new attempt rather than using the 13 above.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 02:53 PM   #92
GnomesofZurich

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Wow these dice! everything is happening at once!

Mind Control uses different rules for repeated attempts: by default, you can't repeat a use of mind control on someone who resisted it for 24 hours.

however... Suggestion has a "Pressed Attack" Technique that lets you ignore that, but at a pretty hefty penalty. (-7 in this case, see page 64 of psionic powers). If you want to apply that to mental surgery instead of suggestion that's fine. You will probably want to spend a bit of FP in that case. Please roll a new attempt rather than using the 13 above.
Sorry, didn't see this. I'll continue this in the IC thread.
Old 09-24-2020, 03:34 PM   #93
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
OOC: On the plus side, he will have a use of Luck on each of those days to help deal with failures or poor rolls.

ehh... not really. Luck is weird in play by post, but I'd like it to apply to "out of game time" rather than "in-game". I've been counting the number of posts between uses. The count for luck recharge is between 20 and 40 posts (I haven't decided yet, and you haven't made me decide yet), provided something weird doesn't happen that justifies double counting or excluding posts from counting. If I settle on 30 posts as the number, that means 1 post is about 2 minutes of play, which sounds about right.

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
Old 10-02-2020, 05:54 AM   #94
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

I think we are waiting on TGLS

Old 10-02-2020, 07:39 AM   #95
TGLS

I'm not sure how to move forward. The scenario seems to imply I should do something, but I can't come up with an excuse that wouldn't become suspicious. Unless the answer is Hua's transportation, that's her job.
TGLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 08:19 AM   #96
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
I'm not sure how to move forward. The scenario seems to imply I should do something, but I can't come up with an excuse that wouldn't become suspicious. Unless the answer is Hua's transportation, that's her job.

That's fair. I suppose I'm looking for an social response rather than a tactical one, as well as a general plan for what she will do the rest of the night. Will she report in to fight the fire again? will she go to bed and say "I already fought a fire tonight, wake me up if it gets out of control?" Will she engage in speculation with folks in her mess?

Old 10-10-2020, 05:54 AM   #97
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
OOC: If I knew then what I know now, I would have allocated my skills quite differently - dropping some that I've never used and boosting Filch, Holdout, Acting, etc.
I'm curious what you regret taking...

but I did feel like a struggled to get people to take proper "undercover saboteur" skills.

Old 10-12-2020, 07:07 AM   #98
GnomesofZurich

Quote:
I'm curious what you regret taking...

but I did feel like a struggled to get people to take proper "undercover saboteur" skills.
Well, some of the skills may yet be used and we just haven't reached that phase of the campaign yet, I likely would have been better off dumping skills like Disguise (while it's an "undercover skill", it's not one that has come up, nor that seems likely to come up at this point), Driving, Hazardous Materials, and Hiking. I might also have dropped the points put into Judo and Karate, and am questioning the utility of my two Fast-Draw skills. These points could have boosted Acting, Fast-Talk, Filch, and Holdout.

I'm hopeful that my various EVA skills (Astrobatics, Battlesuit, Free Fall, Vacc Suit) will come into use, and also my piloting/navigation skills (in the later phases of the game).

In terms of struggling to get people to take undercover saboteur skills, either providing some recommended skill lenses or setting minimums in certain skills might have helped to get characters more in-line with your vision. For me, the scope of the role meant I emphasized breadth over depth; most of my skills were taken at the 1 point level. Apart from psi and background skills, the only ones I took at the 4 point level were Beam Weapons (Pistol), Karate, and Judo, and since I've yet to see combat I am somewhat questioning those decisions.
Old 10-12-2020, 10:02 AM   #99
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Disguise was a off choice, I'll give you that. It think most of the others were reasonable.

I'm pretty sure this game will end in a giant fight. If its doesn't, color me impressed. Judo and Karate probably aren't skills you should feel bad about though: if you get your cover blown, they may end up quite useful.

Old 10-12-2020, 01:22 PM   #100
TGLS

Hm... I don't know how useful either of the acro/aerobatics skills are. Really wish I put more than 1 point in Traps. Probably should have put Comp Ops in Background.

--

So a big fight; I might be a little paranoid, but I'm thinking it's a big trap, maybe related to:

Quote:
The second cook resists the effect. Beyond resisting the effect, his eyes immediately go wide. You can tell he knows exactly what you just tried to do to him. You also notice that he's done the exact opposite of what spacers are trained to do, which is to not react at all.
TGLS is online now   Reply With Quote