Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-25-2023, 02:18 PM   #1
CluelessHunter

Default Building Odogaron From Monster Hunter

I'm currently building a creature from the Monster Hunter series. The creature's talents include very long claws (likely going to have Talons) and the ability to induce heavy, persistent bleeding on its victims. It's extremely fast, has a sharp, hardened tail that it also uses, and teeth like a sabretooth tiger.

How would I format this specifically? What would I need to link to the talons to indicate that they cause excessive bleeding? Would it be a Side Effect with the disadvantage of Hemophilia, or perhaps something involving Cyclic?

You can see what Odogaron looks like here for a better idea.

Last edited by CluelessHunter; 08-25-2023 at 02:27 PM.
CluelessHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2023, 04:00 PM   #2
Varyon

Default Re: Building Odogaron From Monster Hunter

The picture link it's working, but I'll note bleeding in GURPS isn't tactically useful, while "Bleed" effects in games very explicitly are, being a specific flavor of Damage over Time. If you want the bleeding to matter during the fight, rather than being a complication you need to deal with later, you'll need some sort of Cyclic damage in play. Innate Attack 1 tox (Follow-Up, claw strike +0%; Cyclic, 1 second, 9 cycles +900%; Accessibility: Only against foes who bleed -20%) [9.8], which rounds up to [10]. I eyeballed the value of the Accessibility, but it ultimately doesn't matter because the base attack is so cheap ([1]) and pretty much all the cost is in that Cyclic modifier. If using Multiplicative Modifiers, of course, it's instead [8]. Cyclic calls for a specific means of stopping it from continuing; I'd say binding the wound enough to stop mundane bleeding would suffice.

If you want the bleeding to be something that the characters have to deal with after the fight, Affliction (Hemophilia) will work; as above, make it a Follow-Up to the claw strike.

As for the claws, Talons or Long Talons should have you covered there. The Tail would be a Striker; whether Cutting or Impaling would depend on the nature of the tail. The teeth you'd handle with Fangs - the Smilodon referenced in the Advantage description is the genus the Sabre-toothed tiger belonged to.
Old 08-25-2023, 04:58 PM   #3
Lovewyrm

Yeah, the bleeding Odogaron inflicts is not actually blood damage, it's just flavored damage over time.

Chances are also that since he already is a pretty cinematic creature (square cube law and all that), and is found in some pretty nasty waste zones, why not redesign him.
Unless you're specifically cloning monster hunter, that is, but in that case, you'll still want to follow the cyclic damage route, yeah.
Otherwise, I'm a proponent of not copying but adapting, as long as the end result is close enough.

Which in this case could mean that you turn Odogaron into a plague hound like creature that opens nasty, diseased cuts with its claws and perhaps even bite.

Then you can still use the optional blood rules from GURPS as a separate stressor after the battle.
Meaning the characters not only have to stop bleeding, but also have to deal with -insert odogaron disease-.

Oh, also, right right, the cinematic creature part.
A regular human would probably not survive a swipe by an Odogaron, making the bleed a bit superflous anyway. Thus, I propose the disease angle for damage over time. That even little scrapes can have a consequence.
Old 08-25-2023, 05:30 PM   #4
CluelessHunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
The picture link it's working, but I'll note bleeding in GURPS isn't tactically useful, while "Bleed" effects in games very explicitly are, being a specific flavor of Damage over Time. If you want the bleeding to matter during the fight, rather than being a complication you need to deal with later, you'll need some sort of Cyclic damage in play. Innate Attack 1 tox (Follow-Up, claw strike +0%; Cyclic, 1 second, 9 cycles +900%; Accessibility: Only against foes who bleed -20%) [9.8], which rounds up to [10]. I eyeballed the value of the Accessibility, but it ultimately doesn't matter because the base attack is so cheap ([1]) and pretty much all the cost is in that Cyclic modifier. If using Multiplicative Modifiers, of course, it's instead [8]. Cyclic calls for a specific means of stopping it from continuing; I'd say binding the wound enough to stop mundane bleeding would suffice.

If you want the bleeding to be something that the characters have to deal with after the fight, Affliction (Hemophilia) will work; as above, make it a Follow-Up to the claw strike.

As for the claws, Talons or Long Talons should have you covered there. The Tail would be a Striker; whether Cutting or Impaling would depend on the nature of the tail. The teeth you'd handle with Fangs - the Smilodon referenced in the Advantage description is the genus the Sabre-toothed tiger belonged to.
That should do well enough. I'm going to adapt its weakness to ice-elemental damage and paralysis as well into its build, and eventually I'm going to make another monster for the Ebony Odogaron, but this is a good starting point for me to jump off of. Thank you very much.
CluelessHunter is offline   Reply With Quote