Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Board and Dice Games

Old 03-31-2019, 05:14 AM   #1
revshafer

Default Root vs. Vast

If you only have money for one, which one?
revshafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 06:58 AM   #2
Namtranek27

Default Re: Root vs. Vast

I personally prefer Vast, although to be fair I should disclose I only played Root once. Although Root came with a clearer instruction book and a very helpful tutorial/walk-through guide, I simply enjoyed the game play more with Vast. I very much prefer the tile-placing and exploring elements of Vast to the open-faced Root game board.
Vast feels more like an old-school dungeon crawl, with more movement options than Root. After playing Root once, I do not understand why it is so popular. My options seemed way too limited, and the cutesy animal meeples didn't do anything for me. After one play of Vast, however, l couldn't wait to get my own copy and learn all the roles.
I also believe Vast is the more truly asymmetrical of the two games, if that matters to you. In Vast, each role has a unique winning condition as well as unique methods to achieve them. Root's roles certainly have unique methods, but everyone really has the same goal.
I encourage you to get more opinions from someone experienced with both games. I just wanted to share some positive thoughts on Vast, since Root is getting so much attention these days. Hope this helps

Last edited by Namtranek27; 04-06-2019 at 07:55 AM.
Namtranek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 05:36 AM   #3
revshafer

Thanks! That’s exactly the kind of analysis I was looking for.
revshafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 06:07 AM   #4
RogerBW

I've not played Root, though I'm broadly familiar with it, but I did play Vast on Saturday.

It seemed to me that in Vast every player can impair every other, and it's a matter of choosing whom to go after and how it'll help you. Something several reviews of Root have said is that for each player there's one other player who needs to be doing the job of stopping them from winning, or they'll just run away with it.

Another thing said about Root is that you can often get a clear winner half-way through, and it can become anticlimactic to play it out. In my 5-player game of Vast, we were all within a turn or two of winning by the time somebody did.
RogerBW is online now   Reply With Quote