Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 07-13-2013, 10:18 AM   #151
FJCestero

Default Re: The unofficial new units thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokke View Post
Cheerleaders.
<snip>
But when do they, you know, cheer? Do different cheerleaders have different cheers? And what effect do they have?

+1 to attack rolls on the CRT? -1 to movement as units slow down to watch? Does it affect both sides equally?

And what if they start dancing to Carly Rae Jepsen's "Call Me Maybe" ? What then???
FJCestero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 11:06 AM   #152
lokke

Well, I'm no great expert on American Football, but I've always assumed that they only cheer when they're on the pitch or in a gym, both of which have limited LOS.)

Still, if you want dancing cheerleaders, add:

4: Practice! Increase reaction range to 3 hexes.

(Though in my experience women would much rather chat than practice.)

Does anyone have a counter?
lokke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 01:57 PM   #153
Macunaima

Here's a unit I use in my "Luftpanzer" Ogre/GEV variant.

The Infantry Fighting Vehicle.

This is an interrim unit for countries like Nova Brasília which don't have quite the techological level of the Combine or PanEurope, but which also aren't third world. It's a cheap way of getting infantry into combat alongside armor.

It uses modern technology (if very basic modern technology) and can carry three squads of militia. Power armor can't ride in it, but a squad of power armor can ride ON TOP of it (as per Light Tanks) if it carries no militia.

It has Attack 1, Range 2, Defense 2, Move 3 and deals with terrain as if it were a Light Tank. It costs three VP or 0.5 AU.

The Militia can fight normally from inside the vehicle and can disembark into overrun as if they were being carried on a GEV-PC or armor unit. However, they are INSIDE the IFV's armor. This means they are not treated as "stacked" units on the defense, but instead suffer whatever combat result their carrier suffers. If a carrier IFV suffers a "D" result, one militia unit inside is eliminated (no battlesuits means someone is going to be disabled by a near miss). Disabled IFVs can neither embark or disembark militia. Surviving militia inside the IFV is considered disabled as long as the carrier is disabled.

This is mostly a "color" unit: I don't think it's necessary. But seeing as how I play in 3mm with modern units painted up as sci-fi - and seeing as how no one has yet made 3mm power armor - I felt I needed a different sort of non-power armor infantry.

This gives militia some "oomph" without making them TOO nuclear.

So what do you all think?
Macunaima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 07:32 PM   #154
HeatDeath

From the "Cars vs. Ogres" thread in the Car Wars forum:

The Scavenger Highway Car

Wheeled movement, A1, R1, M4 (or M5), D1

In the first years after the collapse of PanEurope and the Combine, before the AI-controlled Factory and Ogre states had fully consolidated power over their territories, the remaining highways of North America and Western Europe were a no-man's-land of refugees, scavengers, and survivalists. Many of these individuals operated salvaged civilian cars or trucks, modified with salvaged military hardware (usually the BPC panelling and hand weapons from destroyed infantry powersuits) to give them defensive and offensive abilities roughly equivalent to a Last War infantry platoon (though nowhere near as mobile).

These scavenger vehicles were found in many roles, serving as the primary armed vehicles of independent gangs, local governments, and shipping companies. While the firepower of these vehicles was insufficient to threaten Last War military equipment or Factories directly, there were significant numbers of these vehicles in the hands of lawless gangs, and their nuclear armament presented a significant threat to towns and villages, prompting many to form similarly armed militias and defence forces of their own

As the Factories and Ogre-controlled fiefdoms grew in power and influence, bringing these elements under their control became a major priority. Nevertheless, significant areas of both North America and Western Europe remained the domain of these ramshackle independant forces well into the 22nd century.
HeatDeath is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 09:38 AM   #155
Macunaima

Well, this one will go into Luftpanzer for sure, Heatdeath. I have some 3mm technicals done up as rebels armed with ad-hoc weapons and your Scavenger car fits them perfectly.

I think I'll give them a move of 2 when off-road and in the clear, however.
Old 07-31-2013, 03:19 PM   #156
Miuramir

Assault Howitzer
Atk 4 / Rng 6, D2, M3 (Hvy Tank)
12.11 VP, 2 AU

Intent was to provide a bit of extended reach for a "Heavy Strike" force, specifically able to keep up with a force mainly of Heavy Tanks led by an Ogre. Ground rules therefore would be minimum Move 3, "heavy tracked" terrain effects (specifically the ability to crunch through forests and over streams without slowing), minimum Def 1 and preferably 2, costing 2 AU, adds useful range to a MK. III + HVYs deep strike battle group, and with numbers that aren't unreasonable for OGRE.

Fluff-wise, I imagine this as something looking like an Ogre-verse-ified PzH 2000 or M109A6 Paladin (for the minis types, these figs should be out there in 1/300). The lower hull and tracks would be derived from or at least have considerable parts similarity to the HVY; but the upper works would have a much longer gun in a high-angle turret, necessarily rather less armored.

Would these be interesting enough trade one or a few pairs of HVY for these in a scenario similar to that described? (Say, the Appalachian forests of the US, or the Rhenish Palatinate forests of Germany, etc.)

What about other situations? The normal GEV maps are more open, would this still be useful?
Miuramir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 07:02 PM   #157
Macunaima

I like the assault howitzer, but you're giving it an effective range of 9 (Mv + Rng) makes it un balanced. It can take out a HWTZR!
Old 12-23-2018, 11:37 PM   #158
DSumner

Bumping this up, as it's been a while, and I want to "tinker" with some stuff I've posted.

"Death is certain, life is not."

"No one assails me without punishment"
DSumner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 12:25 PM   #159
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSumner View Post
Bumping this up, as it's been a while, and I want to "tinker" with some stuff I've posted.
Tinker with things you've already posted here, or new ideas?
Old 12-24-2018, 03:53 PM   #160
DSumner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranitePenguin View Post
Tinker with things you've already posted here, or new ideas?
few things I've already posted, and some "new" ideas.

"Death is certain, life is not."

"No one assails me without punishment"
DSumner is offline   Reply With Quote