Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-22-2018, 05:12 PM   #171
Flyndaran
Untagged

Default Re: [ATE] Farming example

Written by Zeno. Every few months it gets half done.
Old 07-23-2018, 12:27 PM   #172
tshiggins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Written by Zeno. Every few months it gets half done.
I'd just like to say, this is an awesome comment. :)

That is all.
tshiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 11:00 AM   #173
weevis

I initially ignored this thread because I didn't think I was interested in farming, but this is fantastic stuff. Thank you so much for the time you spent on this, and for sharing it. When I did finally read through it, I read through every post, enthralled. Bravo!

Since you've enjoyed strange questions in the past, here is one if you have time and interest:

I’m working on a scenario involving an AtE gravity disaster. Consider a sci-fi large subterranean mining colony established on a high-gravity world with a hostile atmosphere. Artificial gravity made normal life possible, but a disaster led to the colony being cut-off indefinitely. Gravity tech failed and could not be fixed with the parts on hand. This led to a die-off, but several dozen (?) very hardy colonists survived and started inbreeding.

The survivors are squat, over-muscled types with failed knee joints who sometimes prefer to crawl rather than walk. They’re prone to blackouts, crippling back pain, and covered with disgusting varicose veins held in by improvised compression clothing. Everyone loves swimming. They die young from the infection of their almost universal bedsores.

But how do they feed themselves if I want some sort of ecology? I’ve been thinking about adapting your U.N.W.F.P. SALT and Western Hills. But I don't know how a subterranean food production setup would respond to a gravity disaster. (Or maybe it wouldn’t matter?)

I see that the form of many plants will become unrecognizable as they’ll now be short and have stout trunks whether they used to grow that way or not. Perhaps there is some livestock animal that can go feral, adapt to the high gravity, and become terrifying while remaining tasty. I don’t know what it would eat after the corpses are gone.

Humans are no longer a good source of agricultural labor (or any labor). They’ll want to remain close to the ground since a fall from a ladder can kill you.

Of course I can wave away the crunch with still-functioning high TL equipment or perhaps some big stockpiles. (Of unspoilable nutritionally-perfect rations.) But I like thinking about it.

Note: I'd like the gravity to be as high as I can get away with and still have a possibility that unprepared humans survive. That looks like 1.5-1.8G from what I've read.
weevis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 01:06 PM   #174
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by weevis View Post
But how do they feed themselves if I want some sort of ecology?
Not the estimable (E)... but...

My hot take is that high gravity won't have a large an effect on root vegetables. And water suspension plants* in hydroponics should also do fine.

* IE plants whose leaves float on the surface and the roots are of course in water.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 01:38 PM   #175
(E)

Just off the top off my head there was one experiment where chickens were put in a centrifuge for several months at 2 or 3 G. The chickens adapted to the increased gravity quite quickly. Rapidly increasing muscle mass, bone density etc to compensate though there were side effects. While it's been a while since I read about it my impression was that animals adapt to high G better than Low G. Take that with a grain of salt it has been a while since I read about this topic, I'll refresh my knowledge before committing to anything.

Link

Last edited by (E); 07-24-2018 at 10:05 PM.
(E) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 03:52 PM   #176
weevis

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
My hot take is that high gravity won't have a large an effect on root vegetables. And water suspension plants* in hydroponics should also do fine.
Interesting... ...but also slightly too bad because I was trolling for things to include rather than "no effect." But I appreciate the hot take.

Plants that produce a usable atmosphere were out of scope for the scenarios on this thread I think, but an underground mining colony on a world without usable air might have those. I wonder if there are gravity effects there. (I really have no idea, this is based on an episode of The Expanse.)

Or maybe there are nutritional needs related to the high gravity. Everyone would have high blood pressure. I guess I could put everyone on an anti-hypertension diet but if the cause of the high blood pressure isn't what they eat but rather a sudden increase in gravity I'm not sure if that would help anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by (E) View Post
my impression was that animals adapt to high G
It would definitely be cool to have some super-brawny farm animals wandering around. I guess animals like giraffes would not adapt so well but they are so rarely raised for meat in underground complexes.
weevis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 05:28 PM   #177
Flyndaran
Untagged

Square cube law means that smaller organisms will likely adapt FAR better than larger ones. So lots of low lying plants rather than tall spindly grains.

Potato plants are rather short, so would probably do well as a staple crop.

People wouldn't have high blood pressure as it's normally defined, because it would heavily depend on body position.
No sudden getting up or placing the head lower than the heart.
Old 07-24-2018, 08:08 PM   #178
dcarson

I posted on this before. There is a book called The Great Mambo Chicken and the Transhuman Condition. Link to my post.

http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.p...2&postcount=34
dcarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 09:29 PM   #179
(E)

I progressed a bit on the "coming out of the bunker to irradiated soil" example, now know as "Site Zeno"
Oddly enough the plants seen in the games Fallout one and two seem to be the most likely.

One other thing has anyone used these examples or information found in this thread in a game? If so I'd quite like to know what worked, what didn't and so forth.

-added to the to do list, farming in orbit.

Last edited by (E); 07-25-2018 at 10:19 PM.
(E) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 06:44 AM   #180
Jonas

Quote:
Originally Posted by (E) View Post
I progressed a bit on the "coming out of the bunker to irradiated soil" example, now know as "Site Zeno"
Oddly enough the plants seen in the games Fallout one and two seem to be the most likely.

One other thing has anyone used these examples or information found in this thread in a game? If so I'd quite like to know what worked, what didn't and so forth.

-added to the to do list, farming in orbit.

I'll be lifting some bits as inspiration for New Dawn Reloaded once I'm able to run that soon(ish).
----
Per ardua ad astra "Through hard-work to the stars."
Jonas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
after the end, ate, climate, farming, livestock.