Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-30-2020, 06:43 PM   #41
AlexanderHowl

Default Re: Mage Blade

Considering how useful Will is compared to Striking ST, I would never allow such a substitution in my games.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 08:11 PM   #42
Plane

one take on a 'will based weapon' might be to make it an alternate ability to your will: so while your will is focused on making the sword, you can't focus as well on other stuff
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 08:28 PM   #43
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
The weird thing about that is how it seems to function like 'free points' to anyone who steals your gear. You could have PCs thieving from each other and getting instant improvements.
It’s more like transferring points (the original user can’t make use of the Gadget while someone else has it). If I had players constantly abusing this, however, I’d give them a warning and, if they didn’t heed it, have the gadget malfunction and break at an extremely inopportune moment, as I referenced earlier when noting the Gadget will stop being available if a PC keeps using it without paying for it.
Old 12-30-2020, 08:34 PM   #44
AlexanderHowl

In RPM, magical gadgets lose 10% of their effectiveness every day unless the new owner attunes to them though spending character points. They retain their magic, but they only work for people who attune to them.
Old 12-30-2020, 09:04 PM   #45
Pbuckley

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
Considering how useful Will is compared to Striking ST, I would never allow such a substitution in my games.
A good point. But it is only ever thrusting on a damage type with no wounding, or half wounding.

If your looking at my post.

Plus I have been thinking it will cost FP to activate, and count as a "spell on" for casting and concentration... Or even lower the casters will while active, that could be kind of neat... Probably tick the player off something fierce though.

At this point I am basically just redesigning my version of these things to be more balanced so I can drop one in my current game.

Last edited by Pbuckley; 12-30-2020 at 09:08 PM.
Pbuckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 09:31 PM   #46
Plane

you can base Warp's carrying capacity on Will instead of Lifting ST but that's non-damaging and Lifting ST is cheaper than Striking ST
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 03:17 AM   #47
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
you can base Warp's carrying capacity on Will instead of Lifting ST but that's non-damaging and Lifting ST is cheaper than Striking ST
Basing damage on a different attribute is a perfectly RAW option, worth a mere +10% (see this discussion, particularly the end). Any GM is, of course, able to disallow (or charge extra for) any and all shifts he feels would be problematic.
Old 12-31-2020, 07:44 AM   #48
AlexanderHowl

I do not believe that anything from Pyramid was technically RAW, as the stuff from Pyramid did not have the rigor of the books (digital or physical) because it was not formally play tested. It should probably be considered equivalent to the house rules that people post here unless it was included in later supplements (even then, they would usually be equivalent to cinematic rules, highly optional rules that changed game balance by quite a bit). As it stands by the stuff that is RAW, the stuff that made it into the books (digital or physical), I do not believe that I have seen a single instance of substituting attributes for damage purposes.

Anyway, the standard 'substitution' for damage by RAW is the ST-Based modifier, which is a +100% enhancement and only applies to crushing, cutting, impaling melee attacks. Of course, it is not that much of a stretch to combine ST-Based (+100%) with Based on Will (+20%), though that is +120% in modifiers, but it would only apply to crushing, cutting, and impaling melee attacks (it probably would not be too unbalanced to allow it for other types of attacks though, especially with Based on Will). In that case, it would still cost quite a bit even with No Wounding.

A simpler build would be to allow mages to purchase Innate Attack with up to a maximum dice of damage equal to (Will/4) plus Magery. Thus, a character with Will 15 and Magery 3 could purchase a melee Innate Attack with a maximum damage of 7d-1. They would still need to pay for it though.

Last edited by AlexanderHowl; 12-31-2020 at 07:50 AM.

Tags
fantasy, ideas to share, weapons