Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 09-07-2020, 01:38 PM   #1
C-Moon

Default How We’ve Changed TTRPG Worlds

In TTRPGs we all (for the most part) play heroes! We fight evil and we save the day, but for those who are in long-running campaigns or play in settings like Suzerain (has the Legends Awakened initiative where player sessions can affect canon lore of the universe, more info on that on the Savage Mojo site).

What’s the biggest change or affect you/your party has had in a TTRPG? (be it scripted campaign event or ‘party-gone-wild’ events that the GM has had to deal with! :D )

Savage Mojo
C-Moon#4331 at Discord
Kickstarter coming October 4th 2020. Join our mailing list and get a FREE Shane Hensley adventure
C-Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 04:25 PM   #2
whswhs

Default Re: How We’ve Changed TTRPG Worlds

When I co-ran DC Realtime, a campaign using DC Heroes that assumed that the DC superheroes had their origins in the years when they were first published and aged realistically since then, there was one scenario involving the protagonists being turned into circus freaks with their true identities suppressed. The sourcebook I used for that (White Wolf's Midnight Circus) said the circus was under a "veil of delirium," and at the end the protagonists did some investigation that brought in the Endless. So Delirium came into the waking world, took one look, and said, "You found it! I didn't even know I losted it!"—and as she reached out for it, her eyes became the same color, because Delight had come back to the cosmos.

I can't imagine ever running an event bigger than that.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 05:20 AM   #3
Michael Cule

Hmm, you took that circus from an X-Men comic didn't you?

I've run two different campaigns through killing the Demon Emperor of Megalos in GURPS BANESTORM and one of these years I'll run the game where the PCs are agents of the new Emperor cleaning up the demon's mess.

I also, purely by GM fiat, transformed the Christian Church of Yrth so that women clergy had always been a thing since the time when Mary Magdalene replaced Judas and not what's his name. ("And the Lot fell upon Matthias": yeah that's right.)

One of my PCs when we were playing Fourth Edition PENDRAGON was a Christian Magician. He cast a Blessing of fertility upon Arthur and Gwen's wedding which resulted in twins.
Michael Cule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 08:55 AM   #4
Randyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Cule View Post
One of my PCs when we were playing Fourth Edition PENDRAGON was a Christian Magician. He cast a Blessing of fertility upon Arthur and Gwen's wedding which resulted in twins.
That would definitely change the course of the Arthurian Cycle. :)

"(GURPS) isn't a game but a toolkit for building games, and the GM needs to use it intelligently" - Kromm
Randyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 09:40 AM   #5
Anders

We sort of merged all the Great Lakes into one large lake in our Scion campaign. So... I hope you didn't live in Detroit because that's gone.
Old 09-14-2020, 10:55 AM   #6
ak_aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Moon View Post
What’s the biggest change or affect you/your party has had in a TTRPG? (be it scripted campaign event or ‘party-gone-wild’ events that the GM has had to deal with! :D )
Let's see, a player successfully made all the rolls needed to stop Arthur from disinterring Bran's Head (as required in the Pendragon Boy King campaign). This caused Arthur to go mad temporarily, run off, get a random woods encounter as they pursed him, and when they got to him, he'd been gored by a boar... to death. "The King is dead! Long Live King Mordred!"

In Traveller, I had a party that, by careful information shaping, triggered an Imperial Marine Intervention Action. (That is, the marines drop in and shoot anything that even looks slightly hostile.) Given the existence of an ongoing on-planet war, and the disinformation they sent upchain and to the world, and a bit of use of the MT mass combat system, the planet's UWP changed the population digit.
ak_aramis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 01:05 PM   #7
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)

How 'bout one of each?

--

We had the BattleTech game, where the party infiltrated the Chancellor's residence on Sian, killing Maximilian and Romano Liao in 3027, and putting a pro-Davion Candace Liao on the throne. Needless to say, vast chunks of the metaplot had to be thrown out as they occurred (this was in the late '80s to early '90s).

That wasn't their plan, but funny how it worked out.

--

We had the post-apocalypse, GURPS survival game where one of the characters, as a mutation, had two heads and three arms. In a Zardoz-esque moment, he decided, after being struck by a gold brick, that he was none other than Zaphod Beeblebrox. The survival game took a turn into questing fantasy as he led the party in search for a lemon in an attempt to reconstruct the recipe for the Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster. (They had a gold brick, they just needed a lemon to wrap around it--he was sure being struck in the heads by that would return his memory.)
Mark Skarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 12:12 PM   #8
Black Leviathan

My players never understood what they did but they were in a campaign where there was an open tear between the Victorian Era and a time almost 10k years in the future. While traveling back through the tear to speak to one of their patrons they were attacked by a group of men employed by a conspiracy to take control of the passage and they threw their leader off an elevated train, killing him. They traveled back through the door and found that a nearby village had completely vanished and several named NPC were completely different people because they had wiped out hundreds of generations that were consequential to events in the future.
Black Leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 09:16 PM   #9
David Johnston2

Well the player characters basically eliminated Christianity on Ytarria as anything more than a fringe faith known as the "Old Religion". There was a brand new religion worshiping them after they basically absorbed the power source of the Banestorm and apotheosized.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 03:56 PM   #10
sgtcallistan

There's this city at the centre of near-worldwide trade, sort of Novgorod at the middle of the Silk Road: in five years, PCs have:

- re-directed a horse-tribe warlord toward a different empire than our own,

- dealt with a pirate island / enclave that was disrupting trade, reducing the budget for defence of trade significantly,

- set up a colony elsewhere on a subsidiary trade route across the continent, putting us at the centre of three major trade routes,

- protected a southern horse-tribe under persecution by aiding them to recover their holy city / shrine, which has prevented a war between Sassarya and Umarya (factions of proto-Islam), but turned Sassarya's attention to the home city,

- and on a more personal level, improved relations with the Queen of the Lakelanders, attracted new ambassadors and traders.

I get this feeling the GM is using his Babylon 5 game-books...
sgtcallistan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
savage mojo, savage worlds, suzerain, suzerain legends, swade