Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-03-2020, 07:41 AM   #11
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: Warp without needing to prepare +25%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
I wouldn't think it unreasonable to think a Warp destination is more like choosing a weapon target, a negligible factor tossed in after doing the work. But that doesn't really fit my mental image of what the ability typically does or how it's usually described in fiction.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbwarrior View Post
I think that would make for a perfect limitation, maybe -5% or -10%. I generally don't trust fiction to how gurps does things (no offense to the writers, mechanics do come first).

I don't think Gurps mechanics say if you declare the destination at the beginning or end of the process. I personally lean towards the beginning, but that's just me.

In the past I've played around with reliable (time only) +2.5%/level. And reliable (distance only) +2.5%/level as well. Which would make +25% for negating time penalties just fine (but I'm not too sure if the approach is legal), and declaring where you want to go a really quick option.

Also note that you only have a -5 for a one second teleport.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 10:35 AM   #12
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbwarrior View Post
On the note of Onset, another variant is you do all the rolls and such upfront, but then you must prepare the amount of time that would convert your failure into a success.

That would likely come out to -0% (you convert failures but not fumbles to successes) but you can't not do it without outside interruption.
No chance at failure (wasting FP or time) edges pretty close to No Roll Required, I may not be understanding the drawback here.

"can't not do it without interruption" = "can do it without interruption" .. not entirely sure what you mean here.

A contrast here is taking a penalty up front to get a potential benefit vs taking no penalty but getting a benefit if you have a big MoS. Like the difference between an optional 3E rule (trained by master inflicting defence penalties equal to half attack MoS) vs 4E's Deceptive Attack (take penalty up front, lowering chance of attack success, for those penalties)
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 07:30 PM   #13
kirbwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
"can't not do it without interruption" = "can do it without interruption" .. not entirely sure what you mean here.
I was pretty tired when I wrote that. What I mean is that you can't not prepare. If it's mid combat and you fail by 10, you have to focus for 30 seconds unless someone else finds a way to stop you. It's great when there is no time crunch, but gets worse and worse the more time matters.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 04:24 PM   #14
Humabout

I like the idea. You're not getting a bonus to your roll, just a lack of penalty. That feels commensurate to reflexive use in a random direction.

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

My Blog: Above the Flatline.
Humabout is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blink, warp