Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-16-2014, 11:29 AM   #531
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Default Re: Gaming Ballistic - GURPS Content Posts

Giant wall of text alert! In writing up the Why Grapple? and now "How," I realized that I had a major post even dealing with only the "grab him" part of the four-step sequence earlier. So here's a treatise on the 'grab him' part of the sequence.

I'll be moving on to "grab him better," "improve your position" and "win" in upcoming days.

Also, an open call for this coming Thursday: what's your favorite in-game grappling move (ANY game), and why? Melee Academy returns!
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 10:09 PM   #532
DouglasCole

Get grabbed? Bust out. A few words on Breaking Free using both Rules-as-Written as well as Technical Grappling.

I didn't even try and be super thorough on this one, so I might well have missed a few tricks. If so, let me hear about it!
Old 11-20-2014, 10:30 PM   #533
DouglasCole

Thursday is GURPS-Day, and welcome to Melee Academy. Despite writing a book on grappling for GURPS, this look at Arm Lock uses almost only the Basic Set and Martial Arts, showing why in limited situations, Arm Lock is an incredibly powerful move.
Old 11-23-2014, 03:12 PM   #534
Kalzazz

This has got to be one of my favorite blog posts in the record of blog posts, thank you! Simple easy to follow step by step explanation!
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 09:02 PM   #535
DouglasCole

Christopher goes for a two-fer in his article Dungeon Fantasy Video Gaming, in that either the Imitator template or the video game achievements sub-sections are basically complete article concepts as stand-alones. The Imitator concept takes multi-classing to a mechanical extreme, allowing selection from a number of templates. The video game sub-section presents several (more than 10) plot devices from games and implements them mechanically in GURPS.
Old 11-23-2014, 09:17 PM   #536
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
Get grabbed? Bust out. A few words on Breaking Free using both Rules-as-Written as well as Technical Grappling.
I don't understand the part about Escaping Parry. What are the two things you're doing simultaneously?

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 09:29 PM   #537
whswhs

Quote:
Thursday is GURPS-Day, and welcome to Melee Academy. Despite writing a book on grappling for GURPS, this look at Arm Lock uses almost only the Basic Set and Martial Arts, showing why in limited situations, Arm Lock is an incredibly powerful move.
How can Mr. Lockenkey roll his Arm Lock in his turn one, when he responded to Mr. Dodeca's attack in his turn one by making an All-Out Defense? Doesn't Mr. L have to either delay the Arm Lock to his turn two (letting Mr. D attack him one more time, at a minimum—does the "parried" status even carry over?) or forgo All-Out Defense and not get the +2 to parry?

Bill Stoddard
Old 11-23-2014, 09:32 PM   #538
DouglasCole

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
I don't understand the part about Escaping Parry. What are the two things you're doing simultaneously?

Bill Stoddard
You're both avoiding his attack (which is an attempt to achieve a better grip, or add Control Points to his grapple on you) AND removing a few control points farther.

Example time: You're grappling me by the torso and have 6 CP on me. You roll to attack and add more. If you miss, nothing happens, you still have 6 CP. If you hit, you roll CP based on your ST.

However, if you hit and I do a regular parry, well, you still have 6 CP.

If you hit and I do an Escaping Parry, i can actually reduce your current hold to fewer than 6 CP, depending on how strong and skilled I am (but it's based on half of Trained ST, so it's less effective than a direct attempt to Break Free). This can result in (for human levels of Trained ST of 8-20, or half ST of 4-10 or so) the removal of 1d-5 (ST 4) to 1d-2 (ST 10) from the parry itself.

I won't break a 6 CP grapple that way shy of a critical success, but you could wind up with a weaker hold.
Old 11-23-2014, 09:34 PM   #539
DouglasCole

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
How can Mr. Lockenkey roll his Arm Lock in his turn one, when he responded to Mr. Dodeca's attack in his turn one by making an All-Out Defense? Doesn't Mr. L have to either delay the Arm Lock to his turn two (letting Mr. D attack him one more time, at a minimum—does the "parried" status even carry over?) or forgo All-Out Defense and not get the +2 to parry?

Bill Stoddard
You're right - technically Mr. Lockenkey declared AoD in Turn 0. I "started the clock" with Dodeca's first attack. This is based on my experience of actually playing with guys who just stood around AoDing until they got a chance to parry an attack. Unwarranted shortcut on my part. Does that make it more clear?

I've edited the post itself to add that clarification.
Old 11-23-2014, 10:23 PM   #540
whswhs

Quote:
You're right - technically Mr. Lockenkey declared AoD in Turn 0. I "started the clock" with Dodeca's first attack. This is based on my experience of actually playing with guys who just stood around AoDing until they got a chance to parry an attack. Unwarranted shortcut on my part. Does that make it more clear?
Yes and no. Rereading the Arm Lock rules on p. B403, I see that you parry in turn N and then attack for the lock in turn N+1, which works with your sequence. But I also see that it says "you may attempt to capture your attacker's arm if he is still within one yard." In your turn N, you attempted a parry, and got bonuses from AOD and from retreating. And since your parry succeeded, you were not stopped from retreating. But (a) your attacker presumably struck from one yard away and (b) you retreated, so (c) it seems that you are now no longer within one yard by your own agency and thus cannot attempt the Arm Lock.

Of course you can not retreat and not get a parry on a 15 or less, but on a 14 or less, which is still pretty good.

Bill Stoddard

Tags
blog, blogs, committed aim, dungeon grappling, modern firepower, pass limb