Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-25-2019, 09:21 PM   #1
Greg 1

Default (DF) Minimum Points for a Dungeon Delver?

How many character points do you think a PC needs to start a career in dungeon delving?

Let's assume that they can't join a party that has members of higher point value than they are.

Does the minimum depend on what class the PC is?
Greg 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 09:26 PM   #2
mr beer

Default Re: (DF) Minimum Points for a Dungeon Delver?

You could scale it to whatever you want really. Just have fewer, weaker monsters. It's about what feel you are going for.

If I wanted heroic cinematic fantasy, I wouldn't go below 150 points unless I intended to emulate a D&D-esque 'pleb to demigod' progression.
mr beer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 09:42 PM   #3
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg 1 View Post
How many character points do you think a PC needs to start a career in dungeon delving?
Depends on the content of the dungeon
Quote:
Spellcasters scale poorly at low point levels.
Old 03-25-2019, 11:29 PM   #4
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
I'm a firm believer in nothing less than 250, but people do not see it my way.

Quote:
Not really, but Anthony is not remiss in noting that that at low point levels casters really get the shaft in GURPS, where at point levels to let them thrive, non-casters often get to 'unspecialized' (as in they can stop being Johnny One-Skill).
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 12:17 AM   #5
SteamBub

Henchmen has 62-point templates, so that is at least the minimum. I would say that is the best for a rags to riches game.
SteamBub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 02:57 AM   #6
mhd

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteamBub View Post
Henchmen has 62-point templates, so that is at least the minimum. I would say that is the best for a rags to riches game.
I used that for a Warhammer game once, and it worked out great. So beyond low-level D&D (or DCC) dungeons, WFRP could server as a good inspiration for adventures below the usual DF starting point.
mhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 05:11 AM   #7
Devil_Dante

my PCs started with 150+ 30 of disadv..
To be honest, this depends a lot by you as GM and the experience of your players.

I'd prefer a slow improvement of their abilities, but i play a long term campaign. If you are just looking for dungeon crawling, could be different
Devil_Dante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 05:35 AM   #8
Bruno

If your dungeon has regular rats, giant rats, modest numbers of unarmed/armored zombies, and a minimal number of deathtraps, I think the 50-62 point range would be fine.

If it has water elementals and puddings, you need more dangerous delvers.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 06:28 AM   #9
Gnome

In my current campaign, we were going for that classic DnD weak start, fast progression model. The PCs started with 125-pt templates plus 5 points of "flavor" traits: language, culture, Area Knowledge, etc. They are now ~800 pts. (earning roughly 10 pts per session).

Survival was definitely a bigger challenge in the early parts of the campaign, due to HT scores in the 11-13 range and lack of Luck. Some PCs died, but everyone had fun trying to stay alive fighting goblins, skeletons, etc. The party had to be willing to run away sometimes. The first "adventure" involved clearing some unwelcome kobolds out of Old Man Withers' barn.

Now, my challenge as GM is making things still seem exciting. A battle with 3-5 death checks is kind of ho-hum and probably an easy fight, given that everyone has HT 16+ and Extraordinary Luck at a bare minimum. Running away is generally not an option, because by the time the fight is looking unwinnable, it's probably too late to make an effective run for it (some party members are unconscious, mind-controlled, reeling from their wounds, etc.).

Everything has become ridiculously over-the-top. Our two most recent stand-alone encounters: a well-defended castle, complete with flying defenders, steampunk turrets, magical traps, and ~150 men-at-arms of various skills levels, including casters; an army of 50 SM+4 giants. The party is currently visiting a spider-themed infernal realm. They are traversing a dungeon composed entirely of spider webbing, battling giant spiders, spider swarms, and spider demons, and about to encounter the demon lord of the realm, all while suffering a slew of horrendous situational modifiers (the worst of which is the lack of holy sanctity).

TLDR: the GM has to use different kinds of creativity at different levels, but basically any level is possible for DF.
Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 09:48 AM   #10
weby

in my current campaign the PCs started at 100 points+30 points disads and that worked well enough for low level dungeon delvers. The seemed a lot like low level D&D characters in ability.

The current 4000 points does not really work that well for dungeon delving.. :)

Tags
dungeon fantasy