Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-23-2019, 05:45 PM   #1
AlexanderHowl

Default A Modern World of Supers [Supers]

Since there are more than a few questions about historical divergence with my previous world of supers, I want to posit a modern world of supers. The premise of this setting is that a mutation of the flu virus triggers the expression of latent super genes within 0.1% of the human population in 1994. While the source of the super genes in unknown, the most popular hypotheses is alien genetic engineering during the distant past, though it is impossible to find evidence to support that hypothesis.

Genetic testing after the initial wave showed that a further 0.9% percent of the population possesses latent super genes. Over the past 25 years, the percentage of humanity that expressed super genes increased by 5% per year, meaning that 0.34% of humanity currently expresses super genes. While research has been conducted to deliberately express super genes, they have largely been unsuccessful, resulting in injury or death of the participants.

Of the 0.34% of the human population who expresses super genes, 90% have 100 CP in abilities and talents, 9% have 200 CP in abilities and talents, 0.9% have 300 CP in abilities and talents, and so on. Expressed abilities and talents include every advantage except for Jumper, Snatcher, and Ultrapower. The most valuable supers are supers with Warp, especially for the national space programs.

So, imagine that the divergence has only been in the past 25 years. The 9/11 attacks never succeeded, the warnings of the precogs were taken seriously by superheroes who bought tickets for the right flights, so the Wars in Afghanistan and Iraq never occurred. Super hero registration occurred throughout the developed world during Clinton's administration, allowing for licensed supers to function as a form of law enforcement with federal jurisdiction. Super villains exist, but the majority of them avoid direct confrontations with super heroes, preferring to go into business or politics.

What other changes would you expect? What type of character would you want to play in such a setting? Would you want to play a super hero, someone born with latent super powers, or a super normal, someone pushed to excel due to competition from supers?
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 03:00 PM   #2
ronwit

Default Re: A Modern World of Supers [Supers]

I had a similar idea a few years back. Some form of Wild Card virus piggybacked on to the Spanish Flu in 1917. Their children would be coming of age just in time for the onset of WW II. Since some of the theories about the flu have it starting in Kansas, this would explain why the majority of early supers were American with the mutation spreading thru the population over the next few generations. Going with the idea from Al Schroeder that Kal-el was both Clark Kent and Philip Wylie's Hugo Danner, the mutation occurs when the virus comes into contact with Kal-el or those who have received blood transfusions from him.
ronwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 03:05 PM   #3
Refplace

I created a setting where Supers started appearing in the 60's with multiple power sources and origins but everything is really connected.
Cant go into details though as at least one of my players reads the forums.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 03:43 PM   #4
smurf
Banned

I working on a noir project on many tropes of supers. Spliced with alien stuff too.

Writing this thing is monumental.
smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 04:19 PM   #5
khorboth

Assuming that distribution is based on population, I would expect to see a power shift toward more populated nations. China and India would be more ascendant and the US and Japan less so.

I would pick a couple of big technological developments to have been made. A think-tank of 20-30 gadget or science oriented supers could move the dial substantially and would probably do so. Maybe a space elevator , undersea colonies, extreme recycling, fusion power, excellent carbon recapture, memory metals, cloned organ farms, or some other real jump forward.

The UN and several major countries would operate humanitarian super groups for disaster relief. A precog for positioning and then a team to protect and evacuate civilians. This would probably be in place for hurricanes, floods, earthquakes, etc.

If telepathy exists, the three-telepath system is probably used some places (US) while in others (Europe) it's strictly voluntary and in others (China) it's compulsory.

Everybody is working on super-dampening technology. If it exists, they're working on making it better. Otherwise, how do you hold teleport-man in a cell after he steals the Mona Lisa? Or in handcuffs? Can you make a building-sized exclusion zone?

Charlatans are everywhere. Books on unlocking the gene. Hucksters promising to read your TRUE future. A black market in super sex cells (maybe even a real one)

Saving folk is great, but what about making money? How do Hollywood and Wall Street use illusionists, precogs, and gadgeteers? I'm running out of steam, but someone downthread will pick it up.
khorboth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 04:56 PM   #6
David Johnston2

[QUOTE=AlexanderHowl
Of the 0.34% of the human population who expresses super genes, 90% have 100 CP in abilities and talents, 9% have 200 CP in abilities and talents, 0.9% have 300 CP in abilities and talents, and so on. Expressed abilities and talents include every advantage except for Jumper, Snatcher, and Ultrapower. The most valuable supers are supers with Warp, especially for the national space programs./QUOTE]

Geez where are the guys who got 50 points. Or 15?
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 05:16 PM   #7
AlexanderHowl

Each level should be considered an average. For example, 90% have an average of 100 CP, ranging from 1 CP to 149 CP, 9% have an average of 200 CP, ranging from 150 CP to 249 CP, and so on.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 08:32 AM   #8
Whitewings

Supers in China aren't going to be tolerated. The central government cannot endure the existence of anything that suggests the existence of a power greater than themselves, and tolerates established religious organizations only because trying to shut down such would result in massive uprisings.
Whitewings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 09:02 AM   #9
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

If its possible to intentionally identify and trigger supers genes via technological means, wealthier nations may be able to maintain their edge via seeking out and triggering individuals with super genes. You also probably have a supers equivalent of a "Brain Drain" as Supers are invited to richer nations and given larger amounts of money.

How common a given power is will matter. +10 ST is impressive, but its not all that useful in the modern world. Not when compared to precog or telepathy.

Your curve is a mathmatical puzzle that's going to eat away at my brain all day. Thanks.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 05:58 PM   #10
CeeDub

Quote:
Originally Posted by khorboth View Post
If telepathy exists, the three-telepath system is probably used some places (US) while in others (Europe) it's strictly voluntary and in others (China) it's compulsory.
Um, what's the three-telepath-system, please?
CeeDub is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
supers