Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V. > Ogre Video Game

Old 10-12-2017, 01:53 PM   #1
Mack_JB

Default Another infantry thread.

Not relating to rules or anything other than appearance. I know it's not truly canon, but I'd still like to see them 'jump' two hexes rather than walk ...walk for just one hex, jump jet on two.
Mack_JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 01:56 PM   #2
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Default Re: Another infantry thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack_JB View Post
Not relating to rules or anything other than appearance. I know it's not truly canon, but I'd still like to see them 'jump' two hexes rather than walk ...walk for just one hex, jump jet on two.
LOL, yeah... that would be a nice visual
Old 10-12-2017, 02:09 PM   #3
selenite

Yeah, that would be cool, but then we'd be giving up the squishy sound effects when walking through the swamp.
selenite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 02:29 PM   #4
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by selenite View Post
Yeah, that would be cool, but then we'd be giving up the squishy sound effects when walking through the swamp.
true, but it can be replaced with big squishy splashes when they land.
Old 10-12-2017, 03:43 PM   #5
Tim Kauffman

Page 3 of OGRE Reinforcements shows the back/side view of two Combine infantry...all I see is enough hardware space on their tiny backpacks for the power supply for their weapon. No indication of a actual jump jet at all. Same with page 14, you get a side view, but no real indication of a jump jet at all.

I can give that all a fnordish hand wave and pretend they have them, or I can assume there are two sorts of infantry. Infantry (without jump capability) as shown in the mentioned artwork and Airbourne Infantry (with jump capability) as shown in previous artwork that you can actually see the jump jetpack...but that's just not right.

So, I'll just have to fnord it...
Old 10-12-2017, 04:47 PM   #6
Steve Jackson
President and EIC

Art has varied, as art has a tendency to do when you don't sit on it very carefully. The intent is that regular infantry in Ogre can jump short distances. Clearly they cannot jump a whole hex, because they cannot jump over rivers or craters. But they spurn lesser obstacles beneath their rockety little boots.
Steve Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 05:42 PM   #7
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jackson View Post
Clearly they cannot jump a whole hex, because they cannot jump over rivers or craters. But they spurn lesser obstacles beneath their rockety little boots.
Good point. Maybe little Moon-walk bounding across the hex instead of trudging...

Still, I'm pretty happy with the look overall. I'd rather see the big stuff fixed than nitpick what INF looks like while moving. :-)
Old 10-12-2017, 10:10 PM   #8
Tim Kauffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jackson View Post
Art has varied, as art has a tendency to do when you don't sit on it very carefully. The intent is that regular infantry in Ogre can jump short distances. Clearly they cannot jump a whole hex, because they cannot jump over rivers or craters. But they spurn lesser obstacles beneath their rockety little boots.
The boots...of course! As techy as those powered Battlesuits are, they could easily have some sort of gyrostabilizer working in tandem with them and not be as bulky as a jetpack on the back. Now it all makes perfect sense. Hurray for nitpicking the minutiae. :)

I luv the varied artwork. Leaves some wiggle room for the imagination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranitePenguin View Post
Good point. Maybe little Moon-walk bounding across the hex instead of trudging...
haha...that should be a Victory animation for the squads that survive if they Xed the last enemy target.

...body surfing just to show-off would be kinda cool too. Maybe have that as a Marine Infantry maneuver.

But seriously folks, I do like the sound of the marching infantry and the sloshing through the swamp. That was a very pleasant surprise to hear.

Last edited by Tim Kauffman; 10-12-2017 at 10:18 PM.
Tim Kauffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 02:13 AM   #9
Miuramir

Back when we were working on GURPS Ogre, getting the infantry to be able to jump, without using a consumable fuel, but not be able to just fly around, was a considerable balancing act that eventually got given up on. All the suits have at least 1 hour of flight capability. The reason for not just zooming about was targeting & cover; but logically non-Marine infantry crossing water hexes are flying across it. They were limited by a minimal trickle-charge from the RTG to the flight batteries, which made GEV-PCs important in long-term ops for recharging the suits as well as giving them better strategic mobility.

A different / additional logical explanation given real-world characteristics of and further developments in high-output electric motors, which IIRC wasn't something that GURPS Vehicles took into account, is that electric motors can be run at *much* higher output levels than their continuous rating for short periods. (Consider the starter motor in a traditional car, for example.) One could easily claim that the ducted fan motors were only good for, say, 5 minutes before they started to overheat, and a less than 50% duty cycle. Most soldiers would want to keep a few minutes in reserve, so in addition to the being silhouetted against the sky issue that should keep the suits in nap of the earth short jumps as desired.

(Say, 2 seconds cooldown for every 1 second of operation (2:1) in ordinary conditions; 1:1 in the arctic, 3:1 in particularly hot or high altitude conditions, 4:1 in hellishly hot or both hot and high altitude.)
Miuramir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 07:18 AM   #10
Eugee

When I bought this in my teens, infantry could sure as **** jump! :)

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....1socr9gqSL.jpg
Eugee is offline   Reply With Quote