Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Board and Dice Games

Old 07-01-2014, 09:54 AM   #1
emhenn

Default [Chupacabra] rule clarification

Rules state "Any player who loses all his dice is out of the game, even if he hasn't attacked yet on that round!"

Does that mean if I have one Chupacabra and all my herds are taken, that I am out of the game, since I haven't yet attacked on this round?

Or do I get to continue since I haven't lost all my dice, greatly increasing the probability that I will go Chupacabra Loco with my single die on the next turn?

This question on boardgames stackexchange site.
emhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 11:34 AM   #2
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Default Re: [Chupacabra] rule clarification

You still have a die in front of you, therefore you haven't lost all your dice.

The Chupacabra Loco! rule is explicitly intended to allow a player with only a couple of dice to have a chance at getting back into the game. Otherwise, the first player to score a big haul can easily run away with the victory.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 10:03 AM   #3
emhenn

Thanks, that's how we have been playing. The phrase "even if he hasn't attacked yet on that round" makes it ambiguous though, because you can't attack without having rolled a Chupacabra.
emhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 11:58 AM   #4
MIB 9966

I think the wording and intention may have gotten muddled up there, based on how the game itself plays out and the quirks of trying to be concise yet complete when writing rules.

If you consider 4 players playing, and Player 4 has 1 die left, which is rolled and comes up with a Chicken, the way the rules are presented, Player 1 can eat the Chicken die, taking Player 4 out of the game. The rules say "After everyone has rolled, the first player may now attack (see below),
or pass. If he has no Chupacabras, he cannot attack, so he must pass.When the first player finishes his turn, the next player to the left may
now attack (if he has any Chupacabras), or pass."

Player 4 has not yet attacked or passed (first sentence quoted), so has been eliminated before they have the option to attack and hasn't attacked yet that round, and I think the phrase was intended to mean that Player 4 can be eliminated even if they have not yet gotten the option to attack yet (even though they would have to pass because no Chupacabras were rolled).
MIB 9966 is offline   Reply With Quote