Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS > GURPS Character Assistant

Old 01-28-2018, 09:11 AM   #1
Wobberjockey

Default GCA v4 - Was working on Win 10, now crashes on start w/ runtime error 380

So I've put sever hours of effort into troubleshooting this already, and the tech support email directed me to try making a thread here. so here we go, and thanks in advance.
-------

The GCA will crash with a runtime error 380 on program start, and I seem unable to find any sort of information that will help me resolve it.

I did have the GCA working successfully on this system earlier last year (Late summer, maybe July or August). Since then there have been several OS updates (but it's still Windows 10), and I believe that something in those updates either broke or uninstalled a necessary GCA component.

My PC is currently running the Win 10 insiders preview, Slow ring
https://i.imgur.com/ynl8ZUM.png
http://i.imgur.com/neGUA16.png

Per the program I am installing v 4.0.432, which, from what I can gather is the latest patch
https://i.imgur.com/KCorG72.png
https://i.imgur.com/bOydS2B.png

I have tried the following so far:
  • Complete uninstall, registry cleaning, and reinstall of the GCA and it's associated patches and data files
    • I even went so far as to remove all file associations in the registry
  • I have tried using the CGAClearAppData.exe as some users on various forums suggested
    • Clear app data didn't seem to do anything. no indication it even launched
    • I also tried clearing the virtual store, which was not found
    • I also manually cleared out the files located at %APPDATA%\Steve Jackson Games\GURPS Character Assistant 4\
  • I have tried installing the program to various directories on my computer, and have insured that I have full read/write access to those directories
    • I tried installing to a data only drive (Ex: my 'steam drive' where all my steam games reside)
    • I've installed in the default location (C:\\Program files (x86)\)
    • I've installed to folders completely within my user profile (eg, the desktop)
  • I've ensured that I have administrator permissions while installing
    • Tried a reinstall as administrator
    • Tried running the reinstall running in Win7 and Win 95 compatibility modes
  • Tried running the GCA as Administrator
  • Tried running GCA with the various compatibility modes

Given the fact that the program was working but has stopped after a period where I wasn't using it, I have to assume that the runtime error is referring to a component that was removed/altered by one of the various OS updates that have occured in between. Unfortunately I have no way to isolate what that might be, nor can I find any sort of logging from the program that might indicate what might be failing.

In digging around the web, I've found indications that Runtime error 380 could be caused by everything from missing C++ redists, to a missing font, to needing to have the program recompiled, depending on the program/runtime.
Obviously, that is an exceedingly wide net of possibilities, and puts it well outside the realm of reasonable trial and error.

Any assistance you can provide in getting my copy of GCA working again would be greatly appreciated.
Please let me know what other information, is needed, if any.
Wobberjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 01:58 PM   #2
Armin
GCA Prime

Default Re: GCA v4 - Was working on Win 10, now crashes on start w/ runtime error 380

Wow, you've already tried almost everything that it's possible to try. Congrats on your time and patience. And on your research, because yeah, 380 is not a helpful error when it comes to finding the problem.

After all the time and work you put in, the only thing I can think of left to try is this: make sure that you have a printer driver installed, and that you have a default printer set. If you already do, try a different one. (The component used for QuickView is sometimes too picky and crashy about printer settings.)
Old 01-29-2018, 03:52 PM   #3
Wobberjockey

Default Re: GCA v4 - Was working on Win 10, now crashes on start w/ runtime error 380

If it wasn't obvious, Tech Support is my day job, so there's about a 50/50 shot of rage quitting, or getting what you saw up there :P

the tricky thing is that I don't actually have a home printer. Normally i just 'print' to PDF using Foxit Reader (It is set as a default printer though)

I could try installing a random driver though to see if that helps anything.

EDIT: tried installing an epson driver. that was a no go. i suppose i could try reinstalling, but i'm not sure that wouldn't just get me to the same spot.
Is there any sort of event log or something that would help nail this down?

Edit 2: I could also try opting out of the insider builds. that is also wreaking havoc with some other programs i have been trying to get running, so i wouldn't be doing it just for the GCA

Last edited by Wobberjockey; 01-29-2018 at 04:15 PM. Reason: Updated information
Old 01-29-2018, 04:50 PM   #4
Armin
GCA Prime

I don't have a printer hooked up right now, either. Even when I do, I usually have a PDF printer set up as my default printer, so there's nothing wrong with that.

As for logs, I'm afraid that there's not anything there. GCA4 is written in ancient VB6, and there's not a lot of run-time logging that was available for inclusion with apps, so far as I can recall.

I'm afraid I'm stumped on this one.
Old 01-29-2018, 05:21 PM   #5
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armin View Post
Wow, you've already tried almost everything that it's possible to try. Congrats on your time and patience.
Yeah, that was my thought. The only other thing I can think of is the batch file for registering dependencies, which has fixed issues with Runtime error 430. At any rate it can't hurt to try it.

http://www.misersoft.com/gca/docs.php

Or right click and "Save as..." from the direct links below:
Fix for 32-bit OS
Fix for 64-bit OS
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 05:34 PM   #6
ericbsmith

The other sneaky thing which has caused issues in the past is Data Execution Prevention (DEP). GCA is incompatible with DEP and crashes out when DEP is enabled for all programs. You can check out the FAQ entry on DEP as well as the linked thread with more information.
Kaboom-baya.
Old 01-30-2018, 02:27 AM   #7
johndallman
Night Watchman

The DEP problem is presumably due to VB6? Will GCA5 suffer from it?
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 03:46 PM   #8
Wobberjockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbsmith View Post
Yeah, that was my thought. The only other thing I can think of is the batch file for registering dependencies, which has fixed issues with Runtime error 430. At any rate it can't hurt to try it.

http://www.misersoft.com/gca/docs.php

Or right click and "Save as..." from the direct links below:
Fix for 32-bit OS
Fix for 64-bit OS
Unfortunately, no joy there.

Quote:
The other sneaky thing which has caused issues in the past is Data Execution Prevention (DEP). GCA is incompatible with DEP and crashes out when DEP is enabled for all programs. You can check out the FAQ entry on DEP as well as the linked thread with more information.
DEP is not enabled for all programs currently, and the reg key mentioned in one of those threads doesn't exist.

I have to wonder, is there some sort of VB redist somewhere that i can try installing to see if that's it?
Old 01-30-2018, 05:47 PM   #9
Graey

I ran into this problem too. It was working yesterday, and today it was not. In between, I switched the network printer (on another PC) from USB mode to ethernet mode. The default printer on the GCA computer had been set to that printer while it was in USB mode, and apparently that threw GCA off enough that it gave the "invalid property value" error. I set the default printer to the new network printer setup.

Make sure your default printer is set to something that exists.
Graey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 05:52 PM   #10
ericbsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobberjockey View Post
Unfortunately, no joy there.

DEP is not enabled for all programs currently, and the reg key mentioned in one of those threads doesn't exist.
Those were stabs in the dark, given that you hadn't yet tried them yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobberjockey View Post
I have to wonder, is there some sort of VB redist somewhere that i can try installing to see if that's it?
Armin may be able to point to or make one up, but everything that's needed is part of the main program Installer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobberjockey
Given the fact that the program was working but has stopped after a period where I wasn't using it, I have to assume that the runtime error is referring to a component that was removed/altered by one of the various OS updates that have occured in between.
It's not just windows updates. It's possible another program you installed overwrote one of the dependencies with a "newer" version (which may or may actually be newer) and which doesn't play nice with GCA.
Kaboom-baya.