Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-30-2017, 05:04 PM   #1
Drakyrias

Default Random Mutants and powers

I'm trying to find a good chart/generator for random X men style mutants for my supers game to encounter. Something simple so that I can generate mutants that can be encountered on occasion (usually needing to be helped from mutant hate groups).
Drakyrias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 05:23 PM   #2
Culture20

Default Re: Random Mutants and powers

GURPS stats or just some random mutants with powers in any game system? There are a lot of random generators for TSR MSH on the ‘net.
Here’s one:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/javamcc/

I know there’s a random character generator for GURPS, but it’s *very* random. The quirks are fun though.
http://ayinger.no-ip.info/NPCGen/NPCGen

Last edited by Culture20; 11-30-2017 at 05:31 PM.
Culture20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 05:23 PM   #3
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Supposedly the Ultimate Powers book for Marvel Super Heroes had the most extensive tables of any random powers system.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 05:45 PM   #4
AlexanderHowl

It is an interesting book, but it does not translate well to GURPS because of the nature of the powers. I would suggest a different approach for random mutant power assignment.

I would suggest that every mutant possesses (1d+2)/2 (rounded down) Powers, with each mutant rolling (1d+2)/2 (rounded down) for their level in the Talents for their Powers (meaning that mutants would have between 1-4 Powers, with between 1-4 levels of Talent for each Power). Each mutant would possess (1d+2)/2 (rounded down) Abilities within each Power, with each mutant rolling (2d*10) for the number of character points invested in each Ability (meaning that mutants would have between 1-4 Abilities per Power, with between 20-120 points per Ability). I would roll 1d to determine if the mutant possess Super Strength, with a '6' meaning that they would end up with ST 20 and 2d-2 levels of Super Strength. Finally, I would roll 1d to determine if the mutant possesses Damage Reduction, with a '6' meaning that they would end up with DR 10 and Damage Reduction 2d-2 (Damage Reduction 1 is meaningless, so I would suggest increasing DR by 10 on a result of Damage Reduction 1).
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 06:18 PM   #5
Flyndaran
Untagged

I don't think number of powers should matter as that tends to be more an issue of specific system. I think for supers, it's more about total power level within themes. Having more than one theme should be the rarity, for example.
Old 11-30-2017, 07:36 PM   #6
Drakyrias

Specifically I'm just trying to have a chart to determine stuff like Mutant X has Barbed skin and burrowing, or is Blink from the Gifted with strange eyes and ears.

I want to be able to determine with a couple random rolls if a given mutant has obvious features, or is undetectable.

I can always reroll or assign an associated power if I don't think its appropriate (like giving a fish character earth control)

These are mostly for NPCs that I shouldn't have to have incredibly detailed.
Drakyrias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 07:40 PM   #7
whswhs

GURPS Powers: The Weird has a table for rolling random effects of mutagenic radiation, with different options for rolls from 3 to 18. But I don't think it's exactly what you're looking for. I'm afraid I can't think of anything else, though. No, wait a minute: You might take a look at the first volume of After the End, which has a treatment of mutated characters, though I don't think there's actually a "random abilities" table there.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 10:26 PM   #8
PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
GURPS Powers: The Weird has a table for rolling random effects of mutagenic radiation, with different options for rolls from 3 to 18. But I don't think it's exactly what you're looking for. I'm afraid I can't think of anything else, though. No, wait a minute: You might take a look at the first volume of After the End, which has a treatment of mutated characters, though I don't think there's actually a "random abilities" table there.
True, but there is a random mutation table in Pyramid #3/90: After the End that works with the existing mutations from GURPS After the End 1: Wastelanders and also adds several new ones.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 02:08 AM   #9
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK View Post
True, but there is a random mutation table in Pyramid #3/90: After the End that works with the existing mutations from GURPS After the End 1: Wastelanders and also adds several new ones.
I don't recall if I've seen that, but it sounds exactly the thing, at least as a model for how to create a table, even if the specific mutations aren't quite what's needed for a supers campaign.

Bill

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 07:24 AM   #10
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

This site is clumsy and you have to tweak the results a little, but it feels right.

Just putting as many options out there as possible.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote