Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-04-2011, 04:34 PM   #31
Dammann

Default Re: Spaceships: Chance of a space combat aid. But is there a need? 2D or 3D?

I know graphics are in an early state of development, but I must say that I like having the hex field simply to give a visual sense of scale.
Dammann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 01:12 AM   #32
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Re: Spaceships: Chance of a space combat aid. But is there a need? 2D or 3D?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dammann View Post
I know graphics are in an early state of development, but I must say that I like having the hex field simply to give a visual sense of scale.
Problem is, the grid is not to scale. And I foresee several ways I might implement an adjustable grid, each with its own problems:
  • Use a single object to keep a grid texture on it, and then scale the object and change the number of texture tiles on it, depending on how big a grid is needed. Might run into bugs once object scale becomes large enough (perhaps around 100 units, perhaps 1000).
  • Use a plane object with a texture for every x units worth of grid required, where 100>=x>=10. Runs into the problem of spawning too many polygons for little effect, and the difficulty of of making sure the hex tiles match (this would be trivial for a square grid, but I'm not so sure about hexes).
  • Use actual line renderers to draw a grid. This gets out of hand fast, since this means handling an object (or at least a real 3d-vector) for each and every vertex of the grid.
So I'm inclined to pick #1, or maaaaybe #2.
Old 11-05-2011, 01:10 PM   #33
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

UPDATE!

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B2r...1ZmY3&hl=en_GB

Now, the automatic formation builder is functional, as is the Ship Info dialogue box.

Press I when you have a ship selected to edit its info. You can change its name, notes etc.
But the more interesting feature is picking a number for the formation, and clicking apply - the fleet will be built automatically, flying in a wedge/pyramid after the leader-ship.
Do not edit the formation type number yet, only the fleet size, because right now only one formation is supported.
Old 11-06-2011, 01:04 AM   #34
Dammann

Cool!

So far everything is working fine on my machine.
Old 11-06-2011, 01:05 AM   #35
Dammann

I really look forward to using this in game play.
Old 11-08-2011, 03:39 AM   #36
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Update:
GSB 0.03 now can both add and remove ships, names ships randomly upon creation to avoid confusion, and can have its grid adjusted (so you can have from 10 to easily 100 hexes across). Hexes are to scale (1 unit per hex).

Mac:
https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B2r...5MTcx&hl=en_GB

PC:
https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B2r...0MDBl&hl=en_GB
Old 11-08-2011, 03:04 PM   #37
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Features Currently Worked On (most likely to be implemented next):
  • 'Altitude lines' - lines drawn from the grid to the ship to make its 3D position more obvious (almost done, just need to make sure they always update).
  • Vector triangle - a triangular 3D helper for visualizing vector position and 3D angle relative to ship (not visible in 2D mode due to having zero height).
  • Target lines (actually trivial/almost done, but require the targeting interface to be of use outside a dev/debug assembly).
  • Alternate square grid for Rogue Trader.
Old 11-10-2011, 12:38 PM   #38
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
Features Currently Worked On (most likely to be implemented next):
  • 'Altitude lines' - lines drawn from the grid to the ship to make its 3D position more obvious (almost done, just need to make sure they always update).
  • Vector triangle - a triangular 3D helper for visualizing vector position and 3D angle relative to ship (not visible in 2D mode due to having zero height).
  • [ . . . ]
Update.

Altitude lines and Vector Triangles seem to be working fine now (fixed a silly mistake this evening). [edit]No, vector triangles are not precise enough, and I have no idea where the error comes from.[/edit][edit]Yes they do, in v0.06 in the next post![/edit]
New version here (remember, you must join the group to download it).

Also: selected ship, its vector etc. are now coloured differently. Colours will be customizable, but later (and likely will be written in plain RGBA format).

I noticed a weird bug that prevents me from moving (but not selecting) ships and vectors when the camera is situated noticeably below the ship. I'll see what can be done, but it may be caused by improper normals in the models of either.

[Edit] Found more bugs, fixed most; https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B2r...iZTgw&hl=en_GB

Last edited by vicky_molokh; 11-12-2011 at 12:13 PM.
vicky_molokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 11:39 AM   #39
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Re: Spaceships: Chance of a space combat aid. But is there a need? 3D?

Update. v0.06, now the triangles are fine.
PC, Mac.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCurwen3 View Post
As far as importing from Excel, the COM / OLE automation force is strong within me, so if that becomes something desirable, I'd be happy to do the coding to add support for that.
I just successfully alpha-tested a save of ship data to an xml, and I generally know how I will implement loading as well.

I'm planning to later write a class/classes for ship systems, and that will be kinda inconvenient unless we can import data from ship files. Now, the current most popular way to store ship files is ericbsmith's xls sheet. Are you or anyone else up to the task of finding a way to export xls into xml-formatted files in the nearest future (say, next month)? The format should look roughly like this:
Spoiler:  

Last edited by vicky_molokh; 11-12-2011 at 12:14 PM.
vicky_molokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 06:26 AM   #40
ClayDowling

I can't help but notice that the ship file you have there only includes two items that would come from the ship spreadsheet: the name and the hit points. It seems like it would be more work to load the spreadsheet and export than it would be to write a quick dialog that inputs a name and hit points.

Tags
game aid, gurps spaceship battles, spaceships