Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS > GURPS Character Assistant

Old 12-04-2017, 05:38 PM   #1
Jesster

Default Fast question on HP and Fatigue house rules

Hey all,

Long time GURPS player, trying to move to 4th ed. Reprogramming GCA 4 with some house rules and having a little problem.

HP in our house rules is ST+(HT-10)/2 (so you get one extra HP for every two HT above 10.
Fatigue is the opposite stats (so you get one extra Fatique point for every two ST above 10).

In GCA I put in these lines
Hit Points, basevalue(ST:ST+((ST:HT-10)/2)), step(1), maxscore(1000000), minscore(0 - me::syslevels), up(2), down(-2), symbol(HP), mods(Size HP), mainwin(5), display(no), disadat(-1), initmods(Size, -10%, group(Size HP)

For some reason, when I increase ST, it puts too many points into HP and actively spends some levels into increased HP. For example when I set ST 15 it sets HP at 21 (and auto spends 10 points into extra hit points) and sets Fatigue points to 19.5 (and auto spends 15 points into extra fatigue). Now I know I need some @INT (integer) setting in the line so I don't get a .5 stat, but I don't know why it's auto spending points.

I'm thinking it's that minscore value but I don't know much about GCA4 and so that 0-me::syslevels thing is new to me.

Help?

-Jesse

Last edited by Jesster; 12-04-2017 at 05:54 PM.
Jesster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 10:39 PM   #2
Armin
GCA Prime

Default Re: Fast question on HP and Fatigue house rules

I must be misunderstanding something, because I don't seem to be seeing what it seems like you're saying that you're seeing.

If I start with a blank character, and only adjust the basevalue() for Hit Points to ST:ST+((ST:HT-10)/2), and then adjust ST, all I see happen is that Hit Points goes up with ST. Nothing else seems to happen. If I then adjust HT, Hit Points goes up by a half point per level. This all seems to be what you want.

Are you sure that there's not something else going on here?

FYI: 'syslevels' refers to the bonus value the trait is receiving from system level bonuses (which is a score bonus for attributes). So, in order to allow the attribute to be set to a score of 0, even when it's receiving bonuses, the bonus value is subtracted. Without that, the lowest base score allowed would be 0, and then any bonuses would raise the score back up again. (I hope that makes sense.)

If you don't care about that effect, you can just set minscore(0) instead.

Last edited by Armin; 12-05-2017 at 10:03 AM. Reason: ETA: 'by a half point ' instead of 'by half'
Armin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 05:49 PM   #3
Jesster

Hey Armin, thanks.... yeah, you're not getting what I'm getting. Everytime I put points in the ST attribute, the system spends points into HP and Fatigue Points in addition to using the new calculations. I must be messing something up somewhere.
Jesster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 11:26 AM   #4
Armin
GCA Prime

If you want to email me an example character with this problem, I can take a look at it when I have time, and perhaps see what's going on.

You can send it to me at gca4 at misersoft dot com, and please reference this thread so I know what it's about.