Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-16-2018, 08:25 PM   #21
Fred Brackin

Default Re: propulsion system for star wars speeders?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
I

In the EU yes, and in the canonical cartoons as well. Who knows why they need them.
What I remember from Rebels is just atmosphere helmets.
Old 01-16-2018, 09:30 PM   #22
Lord Azagthoth

Maybe spaceslugs create their own gravity and artmosphere (within its body just like a spaceship).

Dark Lord Azagthoth

Star Wars - TRPG
Lord Azagthoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 09:52 PM   #23
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
What I remember from Rebels is just atmosphere helmets.
IIRC an episode of Clone Wars has space troopers.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 09:54 PM   #24
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Azagthoth View Post
Maybe spaceslugs create their own gravity and artmosphere (within its body just like a spaceship).
A key element of that sequence is that they were surprised by it being an animal (they weren't at all surprised by there being enough pressure).
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 04:00 AM   #25
muduri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabufu View Post
It often seemed to me that keeping a vehicle floating, and propelling it forward were separate systems in most Star Wars vehicles. Most speeders seem to have jet engines for forward thrust, and repulsorlifts (that are never made very visible in any form) for keeping them off the ground, and to park one they just shut down the jet engines.
Just wanted to say thanks all for the responses - based on the feedback, looks like it'd either be 1) Contragrav + Jet Engine or 2) I could make a new system called Reactionless Engine, Repulsorlift with max speed on the order of, hmm, maybe Drivetrain, Wheeled per system but doubled accel.

Hopefully there are some ways to play with cost / power requirements / handling / stability / coping with terrain for the latter that would make it a viable choice without negating the other options. Thanks for the input!
muduri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 06:52 AM   #26
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by muduri View Post
Just wanted to say thanks all for the responses - based on the feedback, looks like it'd either be 1) Contragrav + Jet Engine or 2) I could make a new system called Reactionless Engine, Repulsorlift with max speed on the order of, hmm, maybe Drivetrain, Wheeled per system but doubled accel.

Hopefully there are some ways to play with cost / power requirements / handling / stability / coping with terrain for the latter that would make it a viable choice without negating the other options. Thanks for the input!
You should note that there are things that _look_ like jet engines but they don't seem to burn jet fuel. Also, on things like X-Wings they appear to work in space. I think these things only "look" like jet engines while actually being something else probably best described as a reactionless thruster.
Old 01-17-2018, 07:53 AM   #27
Anaraxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
You should note that there are things that _look_ like jet engines but they don't seem to burn jet fuel.
That's okay. Jets get thrust from reaction, just pushing air out the back. You just need to spin a turbine, not necessarily burn anything.

(Though you might rather call it a "ducted fan" at that point. I'm not an aeronautical engineer, but at least some people seem to prefer the word "turbine" to mean the rotating bladed thing that extracts energy from a moving fluid, while a "fan" is the rotating bladed thing that adds energy to a moving fluid. Hence words like "turbofan" versus "turbojet", and throwing in "turboprop" just to cause further hair-splitting arguments :)

One benefit of calling the magic pusher a "reactionless thruster" is that you avoid all the problems of jet exhaust wreaking havoc on nearby objects.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 08:38 AM   #28
Celjabba

I would have to watch TFA again but I think the X-wing assault over water ruled against jet engine propulsion with exaust. Not sure.

Last edited by Celjabba; 01-17-2018 at 10:40 AM.
Celjabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 08:49 AM   #29
Kabufu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
One benefit of calling the magic pusher a "reactionless thruster" is that you avoid all the wreaking havoc on nearby objects.
But what will become of my speeder window and glass replacement empire without jetwash?
Kabufu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 09:25 AM   #30
RogerBW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabufu View Post
But what will become of my speeder window and glass replacement empire without jetwash?
Start with this:

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/...Spaceball1.jpg

and replace the bumper sticker with "Broken windows? Call Kabufu's Transparent Flat Stuff Inc."
RogerBW is online now   Reply With Quote