Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2019, 10:22 PM   #91
b-dog
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Default Re: Nordlond: The Citadel at Nordvorn

Nice job! I really enjoy the factions and the faerie are well done. I would have liked one more faction especially to see how you would have fit it into your world. I would have liked some sort of monotheistic faith that came from the desert lands and is pushing out the pagan gods and magic and establishing dominion over the land. This religion would be able to turn the faerie just like the undead are turned. The Norse gods would have to battle the monotheistic god to try to keep their power. During these battles the Infernal and the dragons could use it to their advantage.
b-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 02:53 PM   #92
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics
 
DouglasCole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Burnsville, MN
Default Re: Nordlond: The Citadel at Nordvorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-dog View Post
Nice job! I really enjoy the factions and the faerie are well done. I would have liked one more faction especially to see how you would have fit it into your world. I would have liked some sort of monotheistic faith that came from the desert lands and is pushing out the pagan gods and magic and establishing dominion over the land. This religion would be able to turn the faerie just like the undead are turned. The Norse gods would have to battle the monotheistic god to try to keep their power. During these battles the Infernal and the dragons could use it to their advantage.
Seems like you've got a great campaign idea. There are several cultures to the far west in the background. There's the "Mongol Horsemen" alluded to who have been trying to invade the south of Nordlond for 200 years or so (the Neveri are their names; this may have been excised from the book to keep it generic-ish). There are also the Inthriki, the totally-not-Asian realm based on the history of Kamakura-era Japan from which traders bring in "exotic curved two-handed swords" to sell at market.

But there's a reason I didn't overdefine the locale: you can have your fifth faction simply by introducing it. And Bob over there can play it straight, or add their own faction, easily.

Glad you're pleased with the PDF. If you got print, you might be interested to know it'll be 14mm thick with a lay-flat, sewn binding: it's going to be a big-ol' chunk o' book.
__________________
Gaming Ballistic, LLC: Home of Dragon Heresy, Hall of Judgment, and hand-made viking shields.

Pre-Order on Backerkit: Four Perilous Journeys: New Adventures plus physical accessories for The Fantasy Trip. FIVE adventures for TFT, written by David Pulver and the team of Christopher R. Rice and J. Edward Tremlett.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 08:45 AM   #93
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics
 
DouglasCole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Burnsville, MN
Default Re: Nordlond: The Citadel at Nordvorn

Citadel at Nordvorn: Preliminary Financials
__________________
Gaming Ballistic, LLC: Home of Dragon Heresy, Hall of Judgment, and hand-made viking shields.

Pre-Order on Backerkit: Four Perilous Journeys: New Adventures plus physical accessories for The Fantasy Trip. FIVE adventures for TFT, written by David Pulver and the team of Christopher R. Rice and J. Edward Tremlett.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 10:02 AM   #94
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics
 
DouglasCole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Burnsville, MN
Default Re: Nordlond: The Citadel at Nordvorn

For what it's worth, I approved the printable files - cover and interior - at my printer today. So the process of printing Nordvorn, Hall of Judgment (2nd Edition), and Fantastic Dungeon Grappling is underway.

I've been told - but not updated - that the books should land in the UK in the middle of the 2nd week in June. That should put UK delivery in the third week, EU and USA some time thereafter, depending on the vagaries of mail times and rates.
__________________
Gaming Ballistic, LLC: Home of Dragon Heresy, Hall of Judgment, and hand-made viking shields.

Pre-Order on Backerkit: Four Perilous Journeys: New Adventures plus physical accessories for The Fantasy Trip. FIVE adventures for TFT, written by David Pulver and the team of Christopher R. Rice and J. Edward Tremlett.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 12:56 PM   #95
b-dog
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Default Re: Nordlond: The Citadel at Nordvorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
Seems like you've got a great campaign idea. There are several cultures to the far west in the background. There's the "Mongol Horsemen" alluded to who have been trying to invade the south of Nordlond for 200 years or so (the Neveri are their names; this may have been excised from the book to keep it generic-ish). There are also the Inthriki, the totally-not-Asian realm based on the history of Kamakura-era Japan from which traders bring in "exotic curved two-handed swords" to sell at market.

But there's a reason I didn't overdefine the locale: you can have your fifth faction simply by introducing it. And Bob over there can play it straight, or add their own faction, easily.

Glad you're pleased with the PDF. If you got print, you might be interested to know it'll be 14mm thick with a lay-flat, sewn binding: it's going to be a big-ol' chunk o' book.
Too bad nobody is interested in a setting like Arabian Nights or Sinbad the Sailer. I love the idea of adventuring into exotic lands. Or maybe something like a southeast Asian adventure. Since traveling to Thailand and Asia I really think that is a setting that would be really cool to game in. I like your Norse setting a lot but i just would really love some adventures in exotic lands too.
b-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 02:25 PM   #96
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics
 
DouglasCole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Burnsville, MN
Default Re: Nordlond: The Citadel at Nordvorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-dog View Post
Too bad nobody is interested in a setting like Arabian Nights or Sinbad the Sailer. I love the idea of adventuring into exotic lands. Or maybe something like a southeast Asian adventure. Since traveling to Thailand and Asia I really think that is a setting that would be really cool to game in. I like your Norse setting a lot but i just would really love some adventures in exotic lands too.
Given my history in Korean martial arts, I think a totally-not-the-Three-Kingdoms setting would rock. In fact, someone did it recently for D&D: http://www.hallofadventures.com/
__________________
Gaming Ballistic, LLC: Home of Dragon Heresy, Hall of Judgment, and hand-made viking shields.

Pre-Order on Backerkit: Four Perilous Journeys: New Adventures plus physical accessories for The Fantasy Trip. FIVE adventures for TFT, written by David Pulver and the team of Christopher R. Rice and J. Edward Tremlett.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 02:40 PM   #97
Dalin
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Saint Paul, MN
Default Re: Nordlond: The Citadel at Nordvorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-dog View Post
Too bad nobody is interested in a setting like Arabian Nights or Sinbad the Sailer.
Who says? The first GURPS supplement I ever bought was GURPS Arabian Nights. I wore that book out in the '90s and had to replace itótwice. My next most used world books were GURPS Egypt and GURPS Aztecs. So it's not nobody. But, there may not be enough of us to make such products profitable.

Quote:
Or maybe something like a southeast Asian adventure. Since traveling to Thailand and Asia I really think that is a setting that would be really cool to game in.
In the same game world that I based on the Arabian Nights, I set an archipelago loosely modeled on Indonesia. Lots of fun adventure to be had there. Would you consider trying your hand at a supplement? There are a number of locations in Southeast Asia that would be great for the Hot Spots series. Or, alternately, we have only one entry in the Dungeon Fantasy Settings line. I could see a supplement there that draws on non-western cultural tropes. (We do, after all, have the Pagoda of Worlds in the DF Encounters series, which is non-western.)

One of the many reasons that I miss Pyramid is that I was hoping to submit my first articles this year. As things stand right now, there's quite a chasm to cross from being a "passionate fan" to being a "published writer." For the time being, I'm focusing my efforts on recruiting new players and being an active member on these and other forums.
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 03:44 PM   #98
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics
 
DouglasCole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Burnsville, MN
Default Re: Nordlond: The Citadel at Nordvorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalin View Post
One of the many reasons that I miss Pyramid is that I was hoping to submit my first articles this year.
I sent you a PM.
__________________
Gaming Ballistic, LLC: Home of Dragon Heresy, Hall of Judgment, and hand-made viking shields.

Pre-Order on Backerkit: Four Perilous Journeys: New Adventures plus physical accessories for The Fantasy Trip. FIVE adventures for TFT, written by David Pulver and the team of Christopher R. Rice and J. Edward Tremlett.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 06:55 PM   #99
Refplace
 
Refplace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Yukon, OK
Default Re: Nordlond: The Citadel at Nordvorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
I sent you a PM.
Good for you!
__________________
Looking for group in my area
My GURPS official contributions
My GURPS fan contribution and blog:
REFPLace GURPS Landing Page
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
Refplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 10:28 AM   #100
Pmandrekar
Careful Wisher
 
Pmandrekar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Oregon, WI
Default Re: Nordlond: The Citadel at Nordvorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-dog View Post
Too bad nobody is interested in a setting like Arabian Nights or Sinbad the Sailer. I love the idea of adventuring into exotic lands. Or maybe something like a southeast Asian adventure. Since traveling to Thailand and Asia I really think that is a setting that would be really cool to game in. I like your Norse setting a lot but i just would really love some adventures in exotic lands too.
Ha! I'm preparing to run a campaign using some of the work from Citadel of Nordvorn for the summer, but am gearing up to eventually run something in this type of world. I've done it already. I ran a Medieval Urban Fantasy campaign in the equivalent of Sword and Sorcery's Shelzar in GURPS 3E, where all the PCs were locals at the gaming house who took rogue missions on the side.

I spent part of my weekend gluing together Crewmen by Northstar Miniatures specifically to have some 'Sinbad style' sailors in a box.

There's a lot of territory to cover, but adaptation of other game worlds to GURPS isn't that hard, really.

-P
__________________
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
P. Mandrekar, Geneticist and Gamer
Rational Centrist
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts"- Daniel P. Moynihan
Pmandrekar is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.