Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-24-2020, 02:43 PM   #1
Aurore

Default Support for Virtual Tabletops like FG2 and Astral

Just a question.

I use FG2 and Astral for to play a wide variety of RPG's. Both support far more obscure games than GURPS.

So I am wondering why it is that there is no Gurps support in FG2 apart from one player written one that doesn't actually include any data. Surely GURPS is still well known enough for there to be one. Astral supports a lot of games, many of which I have never heard of. But not GURPS. Then HERO labs, admittedly only a character generator, also does not support GURPS.

I don't get it. Why is that? I have a group of friends wanting to play gurps online during this lockdown and were likely to end up playing something else simply because other games are supported.

Is this a copyright issue? I know there is a gurps character generator and perhaps that's why HERO labs doesn't support gurps, but no one is goint to pay for an out of date and unsupported character generator especially when there is a player written one that IS up to date.

Am I missing something? Has someone got a virtual table top somewherw with full gurps support out of the box? Don't mind if its payable.

Aurore
Aurore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 03:10 PM   #2
Aurore

Default Re: Support for Virtual Tabletops like FG2 and Astral

In fact didn't the original FG, FG1 as opposed to FG2, support gurps 4e?
Old 04-24-2020, 03:16 PM   #3
Refplace

What do you mean by "full Support"?
FG does have a nice character sheet tool.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 08:09 PM   #4
seycyrus

I agree with refplace.

The Gurps ruleset in Fantasy Grounds is awesome. I wish that it would be allowed to do more, but it's pretty nice just the way it is.
seycyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 09:08 AM   #5
mook

Hi Aurore,

I feel like the critical part of this is the "data" (as in the Fantasy Grounds and Roll20 GURPS rulesets don't "...actually include any data.")

If you mean "the mechanics of how the rules work," both of those VTTs have character sheets and combat trackers that allow implementing the game just as you would face-to-face.

If you mean "the full copyrighted text of every skill, trait, etc." then it is true, those are not included, but also aren't really necessary assuming you already own the GURPS Basic Set anyway.

I don't believe there is currently any VTT with a SJG license to do that.
mook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 12:14 PM   #6
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by mook View Post
If you mean "the full copyrighted text of every skill, trait, etc." then it is true, those are not included, but also aren't really necessary assuming you already own the GURPS Basic Set anyway.

I don't believe there is currently any VTT with a SJG license to do that.
Nor would I expect or want it. VTT that automates the common math, like entering distance assigns the appropriate penalty without having to look it up and import from GCA should be plenty. The names and point costs of traits as a drop down plus ability to add your own (to cover later material and modifiers) would also be good.
But typing in the traits or copy/paste from your written character sheet works fine now in Roll20 and FG.
My GURPS Wiki entries
Old 04-25-2020, 12:47 PM   #7
Gigermann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
…automates the common math, like entering distance assigns the appropriate penalty without having to look it up and import from GCA should be plenty. The names and point costs of traits as a drop down plus ability to add your own (to cover later material and modifiers) would also be good.
These that aren't already there are coming to the FG ruleset.
Gigermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 12:52 PM   #8
Aurore

The data is critical though. I have no issues paying for it and already own many of the books. FG2 supports other rulesets WITH data and it makes it so much easier. Having the need for the GM and every individual player input the data by hand is unacceptable. Why won't steve Jackson make a deal, the way all these other rpg companies have, and make the data available? Anything that makes life easier for players is good. Not all of us, in fact most of us, don't have hours to spend typing data in. If you've every used FG2 with say D&D 5th ed you will understand how brilliant it is to have it all there for you. Makes life so much easier.
Old 04-25-2020, 01:08 PM   #9
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurore View Post
The data is critical though. I have no issues paying for it and already own many of the books. FG2 supports other rulesets WITH data and it makes it so much easier. Having the need for the GM and every individual player input the data by hand is unacceptable. Why won't steve Jackson make a deal, the way all these other rpg companies have, and make the data available? Anything that makes life easier for players is good. Not all of us, in fact most of us, don't have hours to spend typing data in. If you've every used FG2 with say D&D 5th ed you will understand how brilliant it is to have it all there for you. Makes life so much easier.
What do you mean by data? You haven't explained and its a key detail. The names of traits? That would save time, though copying is as I said easy enough from a character sheet.
If you mean the wording and explanation of each trait, thats a LOT of material and why would people buy the books then? Also I think it would be extremely laggy, GURPS has far more depth and options than the others on the list.
My GURPS Wiki entries
Old 04-25-2020, 01:16 PM   #10
Aurore

The names would be enough yes. The explanations would be nice. But effectively having to type in the whole sheet from the ground up is enough to put off some of my players. names of traits, advantages, skills etc.

Now the data as in the explanations and the maths would be even better. No its not too much, some game systems are larger and supported. People would buy the books because FG sells the data and gives part of the money to the license holder. So people buy the books and the data usually. It works for dozens of other game systems. It feels really backwards and is a real hurdle for gurps not to do it.

Im not trying to be rude or to troll. But companies big and small have made a workable arrangement that allows more people to play and to play together online. It seems like a real omission here.

Aurore