Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-01-2016, 06:22 AM   #1
CeeDub

Default Kleptomania - how have you handled / roleplayed it?

Salutations!

The description says you feel compelled to steal "anything you can get away with" and to make a self-control roll whenever you have "a chance to steal". Which could be interpreted as "any time no one's looking and there's stuff around what ain't nailed down". That's a lot of SCRs; but I think that's a too-literal interpretation of the wording.

As far as I know, real-life kleptomaniacs experience a sense of relief after stealing something that often lasts several days. Some might say that this is quirk-level Kleptomania, but the social and legal consequences of getting caught are quite serious. Then again, it has a base cost of a hefty -15.

So, players, what do you consider "an opportunity"? How have you played Kleptomania? GMs, would you allow players to not feel compelled to steal from their favourite restaurant? How much petty theft do you "require" of players?Let's assume Kromm's "house rule" about other PC's being largely exempt from disadvantages (to facilitate group cohesion and fun at the game table) is in effect.
CeeDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 06:32 AM   #2
simply Nathan
formerly known as 'Kenneth Latrans'

Default Re: Kleptomania - how have you handled / roleplayed it?

This is one I simply don't allow on heroic characters. I would never take it as a thief archetype (Honesty fits my usual interpretation thereof much better anyway).
Old 05-01-2016, 09:54 AM   #3
DataPacRat

How large would a (Digital) Limitation on Kleptomania be, for a character who has trouble resisting torrenting or otherwise pirating data that's technically not legal for them to access?
"Then again, maybe I'm wrong."
DataPacRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 10:01 AM   #4
chandley

I have a Kelptomaniac character, and basically, I try to steal something from SOMEONE once per session. I dont steal something from everyone I meet, or every store I enter.

I try to pick times that add a little spice to a scene. So if we're in a long conversation with a boss or something, pass a note to the GM and a quick slight of hand roll. Nothing to disrupt the spotlight, almost "off screen" even. But its great to pull out something later that you stole and solve a problem with it. Maps, keys, books, weird artifacts... nothing so crude as money.
Old 05-01-2016, 11:06 AM   #5
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeDub View Post
Salutations!

The description says you feel compelled to steal "anything you can get away with" and to make a self-control roll whenever you have "a chance to steal". Which could be interpreted as "any time no one's looking and there's stuff around what ain't nailed down". That's a lot of SCRs; but I think that's a too-literal interpretation of the wording.

As far as I know, real-life kleptomaniacs experience a sense of relief after stealing something that often lasts several days. Some might say that this is quirk-level Kleptomania, but the social and legal consequences of getting caught are quite serious. Then again, it has a base cost of a hefty -15.

So, players, what do you consider "an opportunity"? How have you played Kleptomania? GMs, would you allow players to not feel compelled to steal from their favourite restaurant? How much petty theft do you "require" of players?Let's assume Kromm's "house rule" about other PC's being largely exempt from disadvantages (to facilitate group cohesion and fun at the game table) is in effect.
I don't assume that Kleptomania triggers more than once a day even with plenty of opportunities. The only reason it isn't a Compulsion is it came before Compulsions. And an opportunity is "I'm not being watched so far as I know and there's something small and concealable within arms reach.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 02:46 PM   #6
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataPacRat View Post
How large would a (Digital) Limitation on Kleptomania be, for a character who has trouble resisting torrenting or otherwise pirating data that's technically not legal for them to access?
-80% or a quirk. Limiting Disadvantages typically gives very little points.
Old 05-01-2016, 07:05 PM   #7
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
I don't assume that Kleptomania triggers more than once a day even with plenty of opportunities. The only reason it isn't a Compulsion is it came before Compulsions. And an opportunity is "I'm not being watched so far as I know and there's something small and concealable within arms reach.
My sister in law is a klepto along with numerous other issues. If only she waited until unwatched she wouldn't get caught half as often.
Old 05-01-2016, 07:18 PM   #8
khorboth

I have played a klepto in one game. Through sheer luck, it never became a major issue. Several times, I was rolling filch when it would have been quite bad to get spotted, but I always made it.

This character didn't pick pockets, but stole from stores mostly. I stole a wide variety of things, including some which had no use to the character. I kept waiting for the PC to get caught, but it never panned out that way. Sheer luck kept it from being a major problem.

I don't think I rolled a single SCR the entire game. When there was an opportunity, I just went for it.
khorboth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 08:39 PM   #9
Warlockco

Classic example from literature is the Dragonlance setting, every single Kender is a Klepto.
Warlockco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 08:42 PM   #10
simply Nathan
formerly known as 'Kenneth Latrans'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlockco View Post
Classic example from literature is the Dragonlance setting, every single Kender is a Klepto.
Among many other problems that make them into horrible, horrible little monsters that need to be drowned in a lake of fire.

Tags
kleptomania