Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-26-2016, 12:48 AM   #401
JoelSammallahti

Default Re: Mailanka's Musings -- GURPS Content Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailanka View Post
This week, we return to martial arts one last time to look at unarmed techniques. Today, I focus on "practical" unarmed styles, the sort of thing that focuses on victory above all else.
These look nice! How about adding some Targeted Attack techniques, though? (Punch/Vitals) and (Punch/Face) for streetfighting and (Cut/Neck) for the commando style would make sense.

What's your thought process behind using thr damage for cutting the neck? I can see players with high sw complaining about that, even though from the point of view of simulating reality I get it that it's not really a chop. Maybe this could be a technique, thought? Martial Arts suggests +4 to the default for -2 or -1/die dmg, which is pretty close to replacing sw with thrust. Something like this might work:

Deathworld Smile (Hard)
Prerequisite: Knife, Style Familiarity: Commando Knife Tactics
Default: Knife; Cannot exceed Knife+4
Make a Committed Attack (Any) from a rear or side hex only (+1 default), in close combat only (+1 default), to cut the neck (-5 default), replacing swing damage with thrust (+4 default). You can retreat after this attack (-1 default). Often combined with Telegraphic Attack on unsuspecting targets.
JoelSammallahti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 02:29 AM   #402
Mailanka

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelSammallahti View Post
These look nice! How about adding some Targeted Attack techniques, though? (Punch/Vitals) and (Punch/Face) for streetfighting and (Cut/Neck) for the commando style would make sense.
The first two aren't bad. The commando style is just "fairbairn" style, though. It's not something I made up. I don't know if it already has that technique or not, and I'm leery of reposting the whole technique with just that one change. If we come up with more changes, I'm alright with that.

Quote:
What's your thought process behind using thr damage for cutting the neck? I can see players with high sw complaining about that, even though from the point of view of simulating reality I get it that it's not really a chop. Maybe this could be a technique, thought? Martial Arts suggests +4 to the default for -2 or -1/die dmg, which is pretty close to replacing sw with thrust. Something like this might work

Deathworld Smile (Hard)
Prerequisite: Knife, Style Familiarity: Commando Knife Tactics
Default: Knife; Cannot exceed Knife+4
Make a Committed Attack (Any) from a rear or side hex only (+1 default), in close combat only (+1 default), to cut the neck (-5 default), replacing swing damage with thrust (+4 default). You can retreat after this attack (-1 default). Often combined with Telegraphic Attack on unsuspecting targets.
:[/QUOTE]

You called it: It's because it doesn't use leverage to expand the wielders power. He just pushes the knife into the neck.

If we can come up with a few additional changes, I have no problem rewriting commando-style to be worthy of a complete posting (changing it to swing damage would also really help in getting past armor)
Old 09-27-2016, 12:29 AM   #403
Mailanka

Today, I have the last of my unarmed style posts: Fancy Styles. Sometimes, you need to be elegant, or showy, to get the job done!
Old 09-27-2016, 08:00 AM   #404
Kalzazz

Do combat fans actually have a karate entry?

My recollection from reading Low Tech is they do not

Which made me very sad as I have a character who I want to use one
Kalzazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 08:08 AM   #405
Mailanka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
Do combat fans actually have a karate entry?

My recollection from reading Low Tech is they do not

Which made me very sad as I have a character who I want to use one
MA215 and MA226. GURPS totally supports them, though they're not that impressive.
Old 09-27-2016, 08:46 AM   #406
Kalzazz

Huh. In Low Tech it lists 'Brawling or DX'

Didn't think to check MA
Old 09-27-2016, 05:28 PM   #407
Kalzazz

So it is in karate, wlseird . . . . I guess it is under Karate in MA and not in LT, bizarre

It occurs to me also that Vibro Neuro Bladed Hands would be nifty cool
Old 09-27-2016, 11:56 PM   #408
Mailanka

Alright, enough with the unarmed styles. Today, I have psionic martial arts, which involve a deeper look into Third Eye Fighting, Inshin-Denshin, and a new style which blends psychokinesis with force swordsmanship, inspired in part by the Way of the Cerulean Blade, Niman, and those ridiculous Jedi fighting suggestions you can find floating on the internet, called Psionic Force Swordsmanship.
Old 09-28-2016, 11:51 PM   #409
Mailanka

I ran out of martial arts to discuss, so I took the opportunity, instead, to write up some Starfighter "styles," complete with new maneuver and revisted perks.
Old 09-29-2016, 10:42 AM   #410
Humabout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailanka View Post
I ran out of martial arts to discuss, so I took the opportunity, instead, to write up some Starfighter "styles," complete with new maneuver and revisted perks.
Sweet! I was considering doing somehing like this.

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

My Blog: Above the Flatline.
Humabout is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blog, blogs, determined attack, telegraphic attack