Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 08-07-2012, 10:23 PM   #1
ghuqu

Default Question about items

I've just bought the game and I am not clear on what cards I can put on the table as carried items as opposed to cards that I hold in my hand.

Curse, monster, and one-shot items etc...are held in my hand, correct?

Items I've equipped are laid out in front of me, while cards I am carrying are turned sideways on the table? I guess my confusion is what cards are acceptable to lay sideways.

Exampe: If I am an elf, can some of the cards that are turned sideways be items that only wizards can use? Is this a good way to accumulate enough cards to sell and level up, or barter with in case I need help with a monster? Also, if I have equipped a big item, I cannot carry a big item too, just a lot of small items?

I hope my questions make sense, I'm just trying to figure out the difference between cards facing the game, and cards that are turned sideways.
ghuqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 11:17 PM   #2
Clipper

Default Re: Question about items

You've got most of it correct, but here's the complete situation:

You have a hand of hidden cards and a set of cards in play which represent your current character. These include your Race, Class, Items and some other Special cards like Really Impressive Title.

Of the cards you have in play, you are carrying all of the Items. Items are cards that have a value in Gold Pieces (including the text "No Value").

You can choose to use or not use any of the Items you carry. Those that you are not using are the ones you turn sideways.

As for your example with the Wizard cards, yes, that's fine. You don't need to play them that way to sell them for levels, as you are allowed to sell from your hand as well, but you do need to play them for trading as that can only be done from the table. Playing cards you can't use that way is also good to avoid Charity at the end of your turn. As for the Big Item question, it doesn't matter if you are using the Big Item or not, you can only carry one of them.

Last edited by Clipper; 08-07-2012 at 11:22 PM.
Clipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 11:20 PM   #3
bonetm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghuqu View Post
I've just bought the game and I am not clear on what cards I can put on the table as carried items as opposed to cards that I hold in my hand.

Curse, monster, and one-shot items etc...are held in my hand, correct?

Items I've equipped are laid out in front of me, while cards I am carrying are turned sideways on the table? I guess my confusion is what cards are acceptable to lay sideways.

Exampe: If I am an elf, can some of the cards that are turned sideways be items that only wizards can use? Is this a good way to accumulate enough cards to sell and level up, or barter with in case I need help with a monster? Also, if I have equipped a big item, I cannot carry a big item too, just a lot of small items?

I hope my questions make sense, I'm just trying to figure out the difference between cards facing the game, and cards that are turned sideways.
The rules define an Item as anything that has a gold piece value (even if it is "No Value").

Any Itens on the table are being carried. You can carry as many Small Itens you want, but only one Big Item.

If an Item is on the table and you are able to use its powers than you are also wearing it. You have a limit of Itens you can wear: one Headgear, one Footgear, one Armor, one 2-Handed or two 1-Handed. Also, you can't wear something that is against your Class/Race/sex/whatever written on the card.

If you have any Item you are carrying but not wearing, you can turn it sideways. You can choose to change what's turned if you are not in combat (as long as the new Item being worn doesn't break a rule, obviously).

The advantages of having Itens being carried but not worn are that you can trade them, you can lose them to Curses instead of the Itens that gives you a bonus sometimes. And you may put them on the table instead of giving them away in the Charity phase.

The disadvantages are a Thief can steal them, you lose the element of surprise if it's a one-shot Item.
MiB: #1602
bonetm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 07:22 AM   #4
MunchkinMan

Hmmm. To avoid some confusion: You use Items, not necessarily wear. If there is concern about what Items are worn, those would be Armor, Headgear, Footgear and anything that looks like clothing. With one notable exception that I can recall so early, pre-caffeine, which I won't discuss here, I think almost all Items that require at least one Hand would not be considered worn. So, replace "wear" with "use" in Igor's post above, and I'll endorse that answer.

It's also worth noting that Elf and Wizard are not exclusive. A player may have one Class (e.g., Wizard) and one Race (e.g., Elf) simultaneously. However, if you are not a Wizard, Elf or no, you may play the Wizard-only Items to the table but they must be turned sideways.
MiB #1029

Last edited by MunchkinMan; 08-08-2012 at 07:25 AM.
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 10:55 AM   #5
ghuqu

Thank you for clarifying everyone. I believe I understand now. This game is fun!
ghuqu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
items, noob