Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 12-06-2018, 11:54 AM   #1
cephalopagus

Default Infantry Power?

I had one of those oh wait a minute moments. If Ogres have BPC armor that can only be damaged by a tactical nuke what the hell are the infantry using during attacks? I looked at GURPS and it mentioned satchel nukes but is that what is happening every time? Every other weapon mentioned doesn't seem to have the necessary punch to do anything to several inches/ feet of BPC. I can see using satchels in overruns but on hex away I don't get it. So what are they using that would have any effect on Ogres?
cephalopagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 12:10 PM   #2
Desert Scribe

Default Re: Infantry Power?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cephalopagus View Post
So what are they using that would have any effect on Ogres?
Rocket propelled tacnukes.
Old 12-06-2018, 12:28 PM   #3
cephalopagus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Scribe View Post
Rocket propelled tacnukes.
Cool thanks I must have missed that. Let me know where it's listed, but what are the HWT using?
Old 12-06-2018, 12:38 PM   #4
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Cool thanks I must have missed that. Let me know where it's listed, but what are the HWT using?
BIGGER rocket-propelled tacnukes
Old 12-06-2018, 01:04 PM   #5
offsides

I've always assumed that INF used a rifle-type railgun against "soft" targets, and essentially a micronuke RPG vs. hard ones. It's not like they need to carry that many of them anyway, since once they get close enough to an Ogre they rarely get many shots before dying... :)

HWT as a squad carry a single missile tank round in addition to their normal loadout. How, I have no idea, but that's what the stats say! :P
Joshua Megerman, SJGames MIB #5273 - Ogre AI Testing Division
offsides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 01:41 PM   #6
cephalopagus

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranitePenguin View Post
BIGGER rocket-propelled tacnukes
"But these goto eleven."
Old 12-06-2018, 01:43 PM   #7
cephalopagus

Quote:
Originally Posted by offsides View Post
I've always assumed that INF used a rifle-type railgun against "soft" targets, and essentially a micronuke RPG vs. hard ones. It's not like they need to carry that many of them anyway, since once they get close enough to an Ogre they rarely get many shots before dying... :)

HWT as a squad carry a single missile tank round in addition to their normal loadout. How, I have no idea, but that's what the stats say! :P
JM Glad to see your response I just wanted to make sure I wasn't overlooking somewhere that actually states what the hell the troops are using against Ogres. So I'm guessing I didn't overlook anything.
Old 12-06-2018, 03:30 PM   #8
offsides

Quote:
JM Glad to see your response I just wanted to make sure I wasn't overlooking somewhere that actually states what the hell the troops are using against Ogres. So I'm guessing I didn't overlook anything.
The closest I can remember seeing actually comes from the story 'G.E.V.' by J. D. Bell in The Ogre Book. The GEV in the story uses 'hiveloc' rounds (high velocity railgun?) against armor, only switching to nukes when firing on an Ogre proper. I just extrapolated from there given how the INF are visualized with their rifles, figuring that they'd need to go bigger than that for anything stronger than a D1 or D2 unit...
Joshua Megerman, SJGames MIB #5273 - Ogre AI Testing Division
offsides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 04:19 PM   #9
cephalopagus

Quote:
Originally Posted by offsides View Post
The closest I can remember seeing actually comes from the story 'G.E.V.' by J. D. Bell in The Ogre Book. The GEV in the story uses 'hiveloc' rounds (high velocity railgun?) against armor, only switching to nukes when firing on an Ogre proper. I just extrapolated from there given how the INF are visualized with their rifles, figuring that they'd need to go bigger than that for anything stronger than a D1 or D2 unit...
Wow I didn't remember that one at all. Thanks but again this is a lot of extrapolation. So I guess I'm right it that this is nothing official that states what the troops are using gains Ogres.
Old 12-06-2018, 04:28 PM   #10
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Wow I didn't remember that one at all. Thanks but again this is a lot of extrapolation. So I guess I'm right it that this is nothing official that states what the troops are using gains Ogres.
Nope, not even remotely. It's all "irrelevant fluff." What it is doesn't matter; what it does, matters.

The closest you'd get to "official what does a battlesuit INF use?" would be the GURPS:Ogre battlesuit weapons list
  • 3mm Gauss Gun
  • 5mm Heavy Gauss Gun
  • 40mm EMGL
  • 100mm HEAT Launcher Personal Gauss Cannon M-LAWS
  • Splat Gun
Hardly anything to really compare against the generalized Attack Factor abstraction layer

Last edited by GranitePenguin; 12-06-2018 at 04:40 PM.
GranitePenguin is offline   Reply With Quote