Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 11-22-2018, 07:38 PM   #11
wolf90

Default Re: Blood makes the grass grow... but nukes don't

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsteel View Post
What's wrong with a little eye candy? If we didn't want a new, better, visual experience, then nobody would have purchased ODE (or the followups) that already owned the originals. :) If just for visual impact the terrain effects already exist. Craters, rubble, rivers and streams, forests, roads, etc wouldn't change or require any new rules.
Hmmmm . . .

D.
Proud sponsor of Ogre KS $4.5k Sheet #3 - Bringing the Vatican Guard, a Tiger-striped mercenary unit, and of course pink GEVs, to a game near you! Orders may be placed here.
wolf90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 12:31 AM   #12
Tim Kauffman

SHELL SHOCK has Paneurope and Combine fighting in a deadly stalemate with Infantry and Mobile Howitzers:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/128248...57695327406850

FanMade Scenario and printable map for the STEAM game and about as brutal as a battlefield gets in the LAST WAR...

SMOKE ON THE WATER has GEVs fighting for control of the shipping lanes:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/128248...57699573837821

QUAGMIRE is a battlefield created by hydro-mitigation systems being purposely destroyed to give the defenders a desperate edge.
Inspired by Drew's Dam Buster rules:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/128248...57675543846558

...then The NIGHTFALL and Factory States...

Last edited by Tim Kauffman; 11-27-2018 at 10:01 PM.
Tim Kauffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 08:10 AM   #13
Mack_JB

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf90 View Post
Hmmmm . . .

D.
That's the sound of Drew putting on his lab coat and steampunk goggles ...
Mack_JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 09:01 PM   #14
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsteel View Post
What's wrong with a little eye candy? If we didn't want a new, better, visual experience, then nobody would have purchased ODE (or the followups) that already owned the originals. :)
Nothing, except I have zero interest in buying a G<whatever> map reprint in brown just because someone doesn't like green. That's enough of a waste of money that even my completionist nature could resist.

Supporting ODE was more about showing the fans were still out here willing to buy new stuff. It's not like it was "just" a retread of the old works; the larger format stands on its own for a number of reasons; opening the door to some of the first original content in quite a while. It's not necessarily a direct relationship between "buy ODE" and "want eye-candy." With the baseline reestablished in the new size, we can look forward to genuinely new stuff.

Now, a *new* map in "nuke-brown" with new scenarios... that's a whole different story.
Old 11-24-2018, 01:30 AM   #15
Izzy_B

Just a thought but anyone who wants mega maps of mostly destroyed terrain can grab OgreMap 2, make the map they want and get it printed out from their local friendly print shop.

Place near me did one in the traditional full size O1 on this nice hybrid paper thats kinda like a fedex envelope but more "cottony" for about US$18.
Izzy_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 02:37 PM   #16
alsteel

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranitePenguin View Post
Now, a *new* map in "nuke-brown" with new scenarios... that's a whole different story.
Exactly.. A series of new maps that build off the O1 nuke wasteland style but the same size as the G/S-maps and with ruins of towns, forests, roads, bridges, etc.

I know SJG has their own set of priorities and the juice probably isn't worth the squeeze on a new map series, but I can dream. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy_B View Post
Just a thought but anyone who wants mega maps of mostly destroyed terrain can grab OgreMap 2...
Liked it but never used it in print. Have used it for terrain layouts in OM. Nothing quite like an "official" print version though.
alsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 03:18 PM   #17
TheAmishStig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack_JB View Post
That's the sound of Drew putting on his lab coat and steampunk goggles ...
And now I'm picturing Drew wide-eyed and yelling "Great Scott!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranitePenguin View Post
Agreed. I'm not against using an orange palette instead of green palette for new maps, or for that matter, an O2 or O3 with a sufficiently different layout...but I don't need G1-3, S1-3, or M1-3 in both Spring and Fall colors.
MIB Agent #0460
Ogre 134th Battalion

Lancaster, PA
Imgur: https://agent0460.imgur.com/
TheAmishStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 09:30 PM   #18
Tankboy

I for one would love to see a couple mounted, fold out board variations on the original orange map, with or without towns and rivers, but probably in a similar style as the original.

I do enjoy the pace of the game on the simpler terrain; it's still useful, allows for a different tactical style, and provides a change of tempo if you get board of the green maps from time to time.
Tankboy is offline   Reply With Quote