Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-28-2008, 02:12 AM   #1
RedMattis

Default Hellspawn

In Bio-Tech there is a spell called Hellspawn. It summons a demon to possess an unborn creature, such as a human fetus. The description talks about giving the child "lots of supernatural disadvantages", but how would you people at the GURPS forum handle Hellspawn?
Old 02-28-2008, 08:34 AM   #2
Not another shrubbery

Default Re: Hellspawn

It's based directly on the Summon Demon spell, so you could assume that the resultant demonic chimera will grow up to resemble something like the template on Magic p155. Demons are highly variable, so you're free to change things around as desrired... although, I'd guess that the Features are actual racial traits, and the Disadvantage list is probably pretty typical.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 09:36 AM   #3
Bruno

Well, the kid's supposed to be some kind of monstrous hybrid, but he only gets the negative part of the equation.

I'd look at assigning him some disads from the following list (Which I just made up):
  • Supernatural Features (just about all of them are appropriate, and some extra ones besides)
  • Unnatural Features (hornlets, unusual skin colour, barbed tail that is useless for combat, useless stubs of wings)
  • Disturbing Voice (not supernatural, but appropriate)
  • Frightens Animals
  • Lifebane
  • Sadism (not supernatural, but appropriate)
  • Weakness (Holy ground)
  • Dread (various holy or blessed items, or holy ground, or various folk items said to repel the Evil Eye)
  • Low Appearance (not supernatural, but appropriate)
  • Various crippling deformities, if you go with REALLY traditional medieval "touched by evil" signs. Hunchback, One Eye representing a blind wall eye, One Arm representing a palsied or shrivled arm, etc.
  • Unlucky or even Cursed
  • A bad Destiny
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 07:28 AM   #4
RedMattis

Ouch!

Only disadvantages sound a bit harsh, even for me. When I went about creating these half-demons I tried to do something like a toned down demon with a higher ratio of disadvantages than usual, and less advantages, but only disadvantages, ouchies, talk about miserable offspring!

My idea is that if magicians and demons would actually do this sort of thing they would probably want to at least get a decent puppet out of it.

Well, here is two half-demons I came up with.
- - -

Half-Demon Meta-trait:
[80 points]
Attribute Modifier ST+3 DX+1, HT+2 [70p]
Dependency: Mana (Daily) [-15p]
Magery 0 [5p]
Regeneration (Slow)
Resistant +3 (Metabolic Hazards) [10p]

Half-Demon Grunt
[-30 points]
Appearance (Ugly) [-8p]
Bad Temper [-10p]
Blood lust (CR: 15) [-5p]
Claws (Sharp) [5p]
Damage Resistance (TS) [3p]
Decreased Intelligence [-20p]
Increased Strength 2 [20p]
Night Vision 2 [2p]
Sadism (CR: 15) [-7p]
Supernatural Features (@Features@) [-10p]

Description: A Hellspawn created with the soul of a lesser demon-grunt. Naturally violent, and often rather simple minded.

Half-Demon Succubus
[10 points]
Appearance Attractive [4p]
Charisma 1 [5p]
Lecherousness (CR: 15) [-7p]
Night Vision 2 [2p]
Sanitized Metabolism 1 [1p]
Talent (Allure) 1 [5p]

Description: a Hellspawn created with the soul of a lesser succubus(/Incubus). Tends to take a role similar to that of their full demon kin.
They often have supernatural features, but it is not unheard of several of them ending up with no directly obvious signs of their heritage

These Hellspawns assume that the Hellspawn spell replaces (at least partially) the soul of the unborn child, but that they depending on the environment and their half-human bodies take up many human traits, and gain a quite human-like personality. They are evil by the nature of their souls, and so they tend to end up rather evil themselves, or at least somewhat selfish.

- - -
So, does this look like a somewhat reasonable example of a hellspawn suitable in a setting where these "half-demons" exist?
Should they have less power and more disadvantages in your opinions?

Edit: There is of course no disadvantages like "Likely to develop a bunch of evil or disturbed disadvantages", but if there were the Half-demons would probably have it ;)

Edit: Changed the Dependency Mana into daily instead of constantly.

Last edited by RedMattis; 03-02-2008 at 03:12 AM.
RedMattis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 04:55 PM   #5
Rupert

I think it depends on who you see as the true target of the 'curse'. If it's the child, then Bruno's list is right on. However, if it's really the parents (as you see in many horror movies), lots of Early Maturation (a zero point feature) and things like claws, useful wings, tail strikers, as well as Bloodlust, and all the usual other stuff, would seem reasonable.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 05:16 PM   #6
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno
Well, the kid's supposed to be some kind of monstrous hybrid, but he only gets the negative part of the equation.
It doesn't say that. I'd assume that not only does it get the supernatural disadvantages, but it actually gets the points for those disads. Why else would you cast it to get a "demonic familiar"?

Last edited by David Johnston2; 03-01-2008 at 05:51 PM.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 06:01 PM   #7
Gold & Appel Inc

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMattis
Dependency: Mana (Constantly) [-25p][snip]

So, does this look like a somewhat reasonable example of a hellspawn suitable in a setting where these "half-demons" exist?
I'd tone this down, personally. Maybe their supernatural strength and toughness depends on Mana, but if they need it for their physical body to live in the 'real world' what's the point of creating them from the demon's perspective really?
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 08:56 PM   #8
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2
It doesn't say that. I'd assume that not only does it get the supernatural disadvantages, but it actually gets the points for those disads. Why else would you cast it to get a "demonic familiar"?
I don't see why it should "get points" from it. Bunnies must be negative something ridiculous for a point total. They don't get to be super-bunnies with 150 character points though, out side of some specialized campaigns.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 09:15 PM   #9
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno
I don't see why it should "get points" from it.
Because otherwise there would be no reason to cast the spell.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 12:19 PM   #10
RedMattis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold & Appel Inc
I'd tone this down, personally. Maybe their supernatural strength and toughness depends on Mana, but if they need it for their physical body to live in the 'real world' what's the point of creating them from the demon's perspective really?
Good point. I lowered the Dependency of mana to Daily. Adding a need for mana to their strength and such seems a bit to specific for a generic half-demon of <type>, but I might consider doing it in my own fantasy setting.

Anyway, what do you think about the templates otherwise? Is there anything you would do differently (Assuming you go with the "point of creating them from a demons perspective)

Tags
character creation, chargen, demon, hellspawn, templates