Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-05-2016, 12:08 AM   #1
lachimba

Default Far too early speculation for the Next GURPS Kickstarter

Ok, a couple years from now there's another GURPS Kickstarter.

What do I think its likely to be versus what I would want?

I'd say most likely is DFRPG The next level (pity the name is taken its so appropriate) Taking DF3, DF11 and some bits from the over books and putting it together.

The first DFRPG product 'will' have sold well enough to justify another and DF type games are well and truly the majority of the market. Those books are by a GURPS author so its just re editing them and putting them together differently.

Also you can actually make DFRPG expected/compulsory reading which does limit your sales, but gives you a chance to sell your outstanding stock/reprint if there's enough demand to sell new copies.

Action, Monster Hunting variations are less likely, but possible options. I'd be happy to see something riffing off Jagged Alliance or Xcom, but they are much more limited markets.
lachimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 08:05 AM   #2
Nemoricus

Default Re: Far too early speculation for the Next GURPS Kickstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lachimba View Post
Also you can actually make DFRPG expected/compulsory reading which does limit your sales, but gives you a chance to sell your outstanding stock/reprint if there's enough demand to sell new copies.
This is the part that I'm most curious about re: further Dungeon Fantasy support. Are they going to develop for both the original line and the boxed set, or focus on the boxed set? After all, there's enough differences that a product written for one set of rules is going to be a little off when used with the other.

As far as the next Kickstarter goes, I expect that it would be for a space opera type game. I've seen them mention interest in doing so, and would it target a different market than Dungeon Fantasy.
Nemoricus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 03:36 PM   #3
lachimba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemoricus View Post
As far as the next Kickstarter goes, I expect that it would be for a space opera type game. I've seen them mention interest in doing so, and would it target a different market than Dungeon Fantasy.
Never seen this interest and anything DF will outsell anything space opera. To switch over that without at least one test PDF first would be risky.

Fantasy has tropes and scifi has setting. That will make it hard to do a generic space opera game too.
Old 11-05-2016, 03:51 PM   #4
Nemoricus

Quote:
Originally Posted by lachimba View Post
Never seen this interest and anything DF will outsell anything space opera. To switch over that without at least one test PDF first would be risky.

Fantasy has tropes and scifi has setting. That will make it hard to do a generic space opera game too.
It was mentioned sporadically throughout the DF RPG Kickstarter thread in this forum.
Nemoricus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 10:58 PM   #5
lachimba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemoricus View Post
This is the part that I'm most curious about re: further Dungeon Fantasy support. Are they going to develop for both the original line and the boxed set, or focus on the boxed set? After all, there's enough differences that a product written for one set of rules is going to be a little off when used with the other.

I'm not sure how new customers will react to buying PDFs after DFRPG. The financially most profitable option and most likely to boost GURPS PDFs is that they spend their $$$ on existing PDFs, but most PDFs (especially non DF) more or less require the Basic Set or some knowledge of it.

If DFRPG sells exceptionally well and there isn't an equal increase in PDF sales it might be a justification for more printed work. So that's the stand alone Discworld RPG or you start with the Basic Set which will likely cost you as much or more than you spent on DFRPG.

Or you release a second boxed set/standalone book, DFRPG or otherwise, that they can buy.
Old 11-05-2016, 11:54 PM   #6
Anthony

Anything that's a near future kickstarter would be something that we've already seen hints of in electronic versions. Vehicles is an obvious candidate. Other than that, maybe monster hunters?
Old 11-06-2016, 03:05 AM   #7
Anders

GURPS Teletubbies!!!
Old 11-06-2016, 03:44 AM   #8
Sam Baughn

Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and some other bits.

Apart from a sequel to Dungeon Fantasy, the obvious options seem to be a different kind of fantasy (possibly fairy story style fantasy or an epic fantasy setting), horror (I think this is the second most popular genre, either Monster Hunters or more Lovecraftian style) and the space opera they mentioned.

What I'd personally like to see is a boxed-set which contains a stripped-down version of the generic rules in the style of the Action series. I use basically everything from Action 2 in every game I run and it would be really nice to have a lightweight, fairly generic version of GURPS which offers more than GURPS lite in a convenient package.

The other thing I'd like SJG to do on kickstarter is to raise funds for new hardback print runs of older books or collections of stuff like Power-Ups. I really regret not buying High-Tech and Martial Arts when they were available and I suspect there are quite a few people who feel the same. I understand that SJG can't chance a print on that basis though, so kickstarter seems like the best solution.
Sam Baughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 09:40 AM   #9
clu2415

I hope it's sgood merging tangential to Ultra-Tech so the gun stats can get reworked. *shudder*
clu2415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 12:27 PM   #10
Joseph Paul
Custom User Title

That space opera option - thoughts on the following ideas-

1) Reuse as much of the existing settings as possible for it i.e., the 3e Mars book, Terradyne, RoS, Ogre, the Space Atlases and Aliens write ups, and make a setting with all of that material.

2) Completely new and original work with:

2a)Very little metaplot and supplements are generic SF tropes for inclusion.

2b) Lots of metaplot and supplements expand the setting with specific SF tropes.

What are the pros and cons for SJGames?