Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 03-20-2015, 08:21 AM   #1
OdeToSpot

Default Asking for Help / If you cannot win combat on your own

Hello -

First of all, I think the instructions that came with my Munchkin Deluxe set are written pretty well. I enjoy the fact that they aren't so "procedural," and offer some good humor throughout. I could easily enjoy the game with the included instructions, using my own interpretation where necessary. But, I think it is really cool when a designer cares enough about his game, that he is willing to offer official answers to questions any of his fans may have. Keep up the great work!

My question:

The asking for help rules say "If you cannot win a combat on your own..."

Let's say I'm a warrior with an effective combat level of 10 (ie, Level + my equipped weapons). But, I also have several other one-shot items that could potentially provide combat bonus in play (turned sideways).

I kick in the door and get a level 13 monster. Now, if I add in my one-shot items that are in play, I could easily beat the monster. Or, I could use my warrior ability to discard any three cards for +3 and defeat the monster.

So, being that my effective combat level is less than the monster's, I assume that means "I cannot beat the monster on my own," and so I can ask for help, even though my potential level, based on my visible cards in play and class ability, could be greater. Is this a correct interpretation of the "asking for help" rules?

And further, if my effective combat level IS greater than the monster's, can I legally throw in one of my own one-shot items to benefit the monster, allowing me to ask for help? (The best reason I can think of to do this would be to ensure victory for my Elfish wife so I don't have to sleep in the dog house...).

Keep up the great work on the forum!
OdeToSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 09:03 AM   #2
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Default Re: Asking for Help / If you cannot win combat on your own

You are never required to play cards, so if you're currently losing, you may ask for help even if you have unplayed cards.

Yes, you are allowed to play cards to help the monsters even against your own munchkin's interest.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 09:35 AM   #3
OdeToSpot

Awesome man! Thanks for the reply!

I think I get myself confused with the term "in play", which doesn't necessarily mean that an item's ability/bonus/etc is currently causing an affect.
OdeToSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 09:38 AM   #4
MunchkinMan

You are correct. In play Items (also referred to as carried Items) can be used or unused. Unused Items do not currently provide an effect, usually a bonus that adds to your combat strength.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
combat, helping, level