Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-24-2013, 06:13 AM   #11
Mathulhu

Default Re: Starting a new campaign, setting, genre. I could use some major help!

Gun Fu is for cinematic gun play.
Tactical Shooting is for more realistic campaigns.

Guns are pretty similar to bows. They both hurt things from a distance, guns are much better at it though.
What are the problems you are envisioning?

Hmm...guns do a lot of damage, multiple hits quickly rack up damage. I have seen diffuse demon monsters be shredded disturbingly fast by hands guns loaded with duplex ammunition.
Aimed full auto assault rifles can decimate almost anything I have come up with in my Monster Hunters game that is not specifically not taking damage for some reason.

Aiming is important, part of the awesome of guns is how far they can reach and aiming is what lets that happen without incredibly high skill.

Move and attack becomes for acceptable at -bulk or -2 whichever is more, instead of the -4 and capped at 9 for melee.
Old 04-24-2013, 04:35 PM   #12
Snaps

Default Re: Starting a new campaign, setting, genre. I could use some major help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekai View Post
I am absolutely certain that I want to run it with GURPS. There isn't a shred of doubt in my mind. It's what we all have experience in, and we all decided that it could be done through GURPS.

On another note, I really just need help with guns. How can I teach myself how to play with them? Where are the best, clearest, easiest or whatever rules? I do like the sound of that Tactical Shooting book though.
The gun rules can get complicated because there are lots of different ways to shoot different sorts of things at stuff.

But in a nutshell they are pretty much just like using a Bow and Arrow. Here is the basic differences:

Guns usually let you shoot more than once per round. Roll your attack and if you make it, you hit with one bullet. Look at how well you made you attack roll, divide this by the RCL of your weapon and that's how many extra bullets, up to the amount fired, that you hit with.

The other guy can usually only dodge, and he's at -1 per extra bullet that hit.

You can also get tricky and try to hit more than one target. If you have a rate of fire of 10, you can divide those shots between more than one target.

So you could shoot 3 bullets at one guy, 3 and another, and 4 at the last guy. You add +1 to the RCL for each target after the first though and you roll separately for each target. You lose 1 bullet per 1 yard between targets.

So to hit three guys with a ROF 10 weapon like above, you'd roll 3 times. The first guy will probably be RCL 2, then 2nd guy RCL 3, and the last RCL 4.

To hit the first guy with all 3 bullets you'd need to make your roll by 6. Meaning, if you had a 16 skill you'd need to roll a 10 or less. To hit the 2nd guy with all 3 bullets you'd need to make the roll by 9. Finally, to hit the last guy with all 4 bullets, you'd need to make the roll by 16.

There are lots of other rules that can come into play, but those are the stripped down basics.
Snaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:27 PM   #13
Raekai
World's Worst Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaps View Post
--SNIP--
Thanks! That was a lot of help! What about hitting a moving target? I've always been shaky on those rules, but they're definitely extra important this time around.
Raekai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:02 PM   #14
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aneirin View Post
If your players want to be normal, they can still live.

One book you should really have a look at is tactical shooting.
Bringing Tactical Shooting to the Gun Fu fight is a good way to get killed. He needs less realism, not more. Use Gun Fu in this campaign.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:07 PM   #15
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Thanks! That was a lot of help! What about hitting a moving target? I've always been shaky on those rules, but they're definitely extra important this time around.
If Move is less than 10 just ignore the Speed Modifier (B373), otherwise add the Range and Speed together and then look up the sum on the Size and Range/Speed Table (see B372 for this rule and an example; the table is B550).
Old 04-24-2013, 08:16 PM   #16
wgahnagl

For purchases, I would recommend Bio-Tech since you seem to be having a Cyberpunk vibe. Gun Fu as mentioned would also be great. Also think about the Psionic PDFs from e23 that takes what you need from GURPS Powers and turns into awesome stuff without your head exploding from trying to do so yourself. The Action series will also be useful, less for the genre, but more for the Dungeon Fantasy style modifications that I think would work better for what you are envisioning.

There are some nice Pyramid issues that would also help, including a easy Mecha building system, if you were going to go in that direction.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:28 PM   #17
Raekai
World's Worst Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgahnagl View Post
For purchases, I would recommend Bio-Tech since you seem to be having a Cyberpunk vibe. Gun Fu as mentioned would also be great. Also think about the Psionic PDFs from e23 that takes what you need from GURPS Powers and turns into awesome stuff without your head exploding from trying to do so yourself. The Action series will also be useful, less for the genre, but more for the Dungeon Fantasy style modifications that I think would work better for what you are envisioning.

There are some nice Pyramid issues that would also help, including a easy Mecha building system, if you were going to go in that direction.
What's this about an easy Mecha building system? Where? Where?!
Old 04-24-2013, 08:37 PM   #18
Snaps

If you want a really easy system for building Mecha's, just make them as characters. If they are for PC's just use Alternate forms.

So you just build them like a normal character, with whatever DR, Strength, Hit points, etc you see them having.

Fair warning though, most Anime Mecha type builds are going to be thousands of points. To give you an idea, a Tank has something like 1200 DR on the front. If you want Mecha that are in that class, then right there that's at least 1200 points just for the DR, probably a lot more than that.

A mecha with 100 DR everywhere would get blown to bits by something like a tank shell, and you're looking at 500 points for the DR alone.

Could you give us an example of what kind of characters you'd want? Give us specifics.

Do you want your characters to be able to take on things like that big Scorpion Robot by themselves? Can each character take on a squad of guys in combat armor with chainguns? Do you want them to be able to dodge bullets, etc?
Snaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:07 PM   #19
Raekai
World's Worst Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaps View Post
If you want a really easy system for building Mecha's, just make them as characters. If they are for PC's just use Alternate forms.

So you just build them like a normal character, with whatever DR, Strength, Hit points, etc you see them having.

Fair warning though, most Anime Mecha type builds are going to be thousands of points. To give you an idea, a Tank has something like 1200 DR on the front. If you want Mecha that are in that class, then right there that's at least 1200 points just for the DR, probably a lot more than that.

A mecha with 100 DR everywhere would get blown to bits by something like a tank shell, and you're looking at 500 points for the DR alone.

Could you give us an example of what kind of characters you'd want? Give us specifics.

Do you want your characters to be able to take on things like that big Scorpion Robot by themselves? Can each character take on a squad of guys in combat armor with chainguns? Do you want them to be able to dodge bullets, etc?
There are going to be around six characters-ish. While I don't think ONE of them should be able to take those obstacles out alone... I think three or four of them should be enough.

The characters aren't really specified yet... Although I do plan on having mechas somewhere in the mix. Who doesn't like them? Raise your hand, I dare you! If you really boil it down... You're either a psi, an alien, or have access to some very impressive technology. Either that or you're the damn best gunslinger around!
Old 04-24-2013, 11:26 PM   #20
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
What's this about an easy Mecha building system? Where? Where?!
Pyramid 3/40, I believe.

Tags
campaign, high-tech, japan, powers, psionics