Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-17-2017, 11:05 AM   #181
adm

Default Re: Alternate Crosstime Organizations

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkelk View Post
You did choose to make that contribution in the middle of the discussion of Coventry...
Given the number of posts the Coventry discussion has generated, perhaps it could be spun off as its own thread?
Old 08-17-2017, 11:25 AM   #182
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adm View Post
Given the number of posts the Coventry discussion has generated, perhaps it could be spun off as its own thread?
If we could get a mod to cleanly move all those posts, that's probably the best idea.
Mark Skarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 11:49 AM   #183
David Johnston2

The limitation on investiture is that in the absence of a population of the faithful you can't do much better than low sanctity except in a few "holy" places where the power source in question has manifested directly.

But actually these guys remind me of one of my magical styles a curious lot known as the Pure Ones. They were mages vowed to only use magic to reduce "Chaos", which as they saw it limited their use of magic to spells of healing, repair, buffs, and counter magic with their ultimate goal being to reduce virtually the entire world to zero mana save for a few oases of normal mana under their exclusive control where they would provide healing. If they discovered a network of interplanar Portals...
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 12:00 PM   #184
Flyndaran
Untagged

I see Paladins from World Of Warcraft channeling the light.

One somewhat inexplicable character that has yet to be given a backstory in the recent expansion is the one holy dreadlord; a type of "upper middle management" demon. A single golden demon fighting for the light despite no other evidence of that even being possible.

Could this army of light also have such a weird character?
Old 08-17-2017, 12:09 PM   #185
LoneWolf23k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post

One somewhat inexplicable character that has yet to be given a backstory in the recent expansion is the one holy dreadlord; a type of "upper middle management" demon. A single golden demon fighting for the light despite no other evidence of that even being possible.

Don't see why not. Some factions of the Knights might reject any creature with "demon taint", but others might welcome any willing to fight the spread of the Abyss.
LoneWolf23k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 12:12 PM   #186
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post

I don't see why not, though I don't doubt he'd either be proof of a redeemed demon (which could send some local religions into a frenzy) and/or distrusted because of his demonic nature.

As for the Investiture, if using Magic-as-Powers it'd probably be more akin to a Pact limitation as or in addition to the Divine power modifier. It'd also probably work best if "all good religions have a grain of truth" is a setting conceit, making most places that aren't demon-infested hellholes normal sanctity for their purposes.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 05:08 PM   #187
starslayer

The Abyss- expansion

The thing about the abyss is that, it's not a unified government, its not a singular body. Demon's don't like each other, and the only reason they follow another is because they have been dominated, curtailed, or fear such again.

As such there are almost as many demons attempting to retard the spread of the abyss as there are those trying to spread it. Make no mistake, very few of these demons are 'noble', 'good' or even 'not sociopath mass murderers'; what they are is SELFISH- the longer they can keep a world from falling apart the longer they can get exclusive or semi-exclusive 'feeding rights'.

Even the demon lords don't act in concert, there warped natures prevents them from directly visiting worlds until they are more abyss than separate world-line- and they are forever hatching schemes to have followers on those worlds enact great rituals that transform the world enough to admit them (and only THEM not the other demon lords).

It is the damage from those attempts and scheming and kidnapping missions to feed the various demon lords that eventually plummets a world into the abyss. Even with the eventuality of getting SOME of the souls once the world falls, demon lords will routinely work to 'shore up' a world that they have a strong presence in to keep it more exclusively in their domain.

Thus while it can be argued that it is an eventuality that every world will eventually fall to the abyss, it is more practically like talking about the heat death or cold death of a universe.

Ironically worlds with low manna, or no manna (which the demons arrive to via other means) are generally plummeted to the abyss sooner, as the difficulty of operating there tends to lead to a 'feeding frenzy' by whoever found it first, and without ambient manna the demons cannot 'shore up' the world.
starslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 08:45 PM   #188
Jasonft

Of course Demon Lords that do not like the one dominating world xy work to make it fall all the quicker. Incessant civil wars and assassinations would be the normal 'order' of things in the Abyss.

I suspect that creatures born to the Abyssal worlds, such as demons, cannot be Resurrected without immense and immediate effort.

Edit: Non Demons can be resurrected if they have not been on one of the Abyssal planes long enough to be corrupted just from being there.
Jasonft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 02:44 AM   #189
Flyndaran
Untagged

I just saw something that could fit a breakdown of reality in a Lovecraftian way if it hit a universe like sitcoms and 80s/90s TV. I'm often prone to hyperbole, but this is without a doubt, literally the weirdest thing I have ever seen in my life.
Too Many Cooks from Adult Swim.
I'm not going to link it for fear... I'm not even sure why, but it feels like speaking the name of Nyarlathotep, or Beatlejuice.
Old 08-18-2017, 08:20 AM   #190
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

I variant on the idea of the abyss has been sitting in my "unplayed campaigns" folder for a while. In order to transform a world, Rulers that had the allegiance of a total of 50% of the world's population have to be sacrificed to a demon lord within 7 days of each other to transform a world into a "demon world". The world didn't unite with the others: it just gave the demon who obtained it the ability to portal spam between other demon worlds, and the world-warping power so common to that type of realm. The demon lord also gained knowledge of any fact on that world he cared to ask about. He isn't alerted when an enemy team enters his realm, but if notices something odd and wonders if someone entered his realm from the outside, he'll know instantly.

So similar in many ways, but different in a lot of others.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campaign design, infinite worlds, infinity unlimited, worldlines