Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Warehouse 23 > Warehouse 23 Digital

Old 01-31-2010, 06:58 AM   #81
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)
Default Re: E readers getting cheaper yay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
Agreed; as I said above, the LCD wins for fast searching. However, the amount of time I spend reading the book vastly outweighs the time I spend searching for most books, so for that purpose I would use the eInk reader. I agree, if I'm referring to a manual or a role-playing book, rather than simply reading it, then I'll use something with a faster interface.

With the current state of technology we really do need two devices. To ignore the benefits of eInk for reading just because the laptop (or iPad) performs better at searching and colour display would be a shame.

Graham
Agreed. The issue here, is that I don't have the cash for both an ereader and a laptop, and I went witht hte laptop (well, a 9 inch netbook) that offers wider functionality at the cost of not being optimal for certain tasks (such as reading novels)
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 07:08 AM   #82
Graham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroshima View Post
Agreed. The issue here, is that I don't have the cash for both an ereader and a laptop, and I went witht hte laptop (well, a 9 inch netbook) that offers wider functionality at the cost of not being optimal for certain tasks (such as reading novels)
I certainly wouldn't argue with the choice, if money is the issue. However, I suspect that you will never read a whole novel, in comfort, on the netbook. I've read eBooks on all sorts of other devices over the years (Psions, Palms, laptops, a netbook). You can do it, but it never gives the same effortless immersion as a real book or as an eInk reader.

Graham
Old 01-31-2010, 07:13 AM   #83
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
I certainly wouldn't argue with the choice, if money is the issue. However, I suspect that you will never read a whole novel, in comfort, on the netbook. I've read eBooks on all sorts of other devices over the years (Psions, Palms, laptops, a netbook). You can do it, but it never gives the same effortless immersion as a real book or as an eInk reader.

Graham
Nope, but I still have my old Palm m105 that I got for a nearly nothing, that serves that purpose perfectly (no backlit screen).
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 09:00 AM   #84
Ze'Manel Cunha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroshima View Post
Nope, but I still have my old Palm m105 that I got for a nearly nothing, that serves that purpose perfectly (no backlit screen).
Did you guys see the link I posted on the 3Qi LCD screens which will let us read without being backlit?

I'm thinking that's the best of both worlds...

http://www.popsci.com/gadgets/articl...forever?page=3
Ze'Manel Cunha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 09:09 AM   #85
Graham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze'Manel Cunha View Post
Did you guys see the link I posted on the 3Qi LCD screens which will let us read without being backlit?
Interesting. I'm looking forward to comparing the various solutions as they come through.

Graham
Old 02-01-2010, 10:57 AM   #86
Buzzardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze'Manel Cunha View Post

I'm thinking that's the best of both worlds...

http://www.popsci.com/gadgets/articl...forever?page=3
Yup. I've added it to the list of technologies I'm following, both personally and for work (we're going to develop a hand-held application near the end of the year, and the platform for it is a primary concern).

Thanks for the info.
Buzzardo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ereader, pdf