Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-11-2018, 03:07 PM   #1
JanMikal

Default Limiting a Disadvantage

I have a character in my game who is 19 years old, but she's 4'8" and about 80lbs. We want to apply the 'Social Stigma - Minor' to her, because she *looks* young, but she could whip out her ID or driver's license to prove that she really is of age, depending on the scenario.

But how to work it. I thought modifying Social Stigma with something like Unreliable might work - on a roll of X or less, she's taken for a child, and maybe on a FURTHER roll, the beholder might not even believe that her ID is real. Any ideas?
JanMikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 03:51 PM   #2
Maz

Default Re: Limiting a Disadvantage

Could simply put a mitigator (ID card) on it. Not sure how much it should be worth. Maybe -60% ?

For comparison, glasses for Nearsightened is a -60% mitigator. And an ID card fits the "is vulnerable, and easily stolen, broken, or misplaced" (see p.112). And like glasses you could always get a new ID card, but it can be a lot of trouble.
Maz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 04:20 PM   #3
AlexanderHowl

My fiancee has similar problems in real life (she is 5' and age 24), which means that I have problems when people call the cops on me for being with her. From our experiences, I would suggest that it is much more problematic than a -2 point disadvantage would represent. It prevents us from going out to a lot of restaurants, as we have had police called on us at our apartment, on birthday parties, during anniversaries celebrations, after getting hotel rooms while traveling, etc.

I would represent it as a form of Mistaken Identity, just mistaken for a group rather than an individual, with the ID just giving you a bonus to convince people you are the age that you say you are. The ID is not a mitigator as it does not prevent the initial reaction penalty because fake IDs exist. For example, my fiancee has been accused by cops of trying to give them a fake ID until they checked it in their computers.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 03:11 PM   #4
Pursuivant

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanMikal View Post
I have a character in my game who is 19 years old, but she's 4'8" and about 80lbs. We want to apply the 'Social Stigma - Minor' to her, because she *looks* young, but she could whip out her ID or driver's license to prove that she really is of age, depending on the scenario.
Quirk: Distinctive Appearance (Jailbait/Appears to be Underage).

Functionally the same as Social Stigma 1 with -60% Mitigator limitation, but with the "Perk" that she can pass as a teenager when she needs to.

And don't think that the players won't game the hell out of the upside of her Quirk and make her carry 3 types of high-quality ID at all times so she can deal with the inevitable hassles!

OTOH, in a game setting where you can't just whip out a passport or military ID card to prove your age, she has a full-blown Social Stigma.

Last edited by Pursuivant; 06-13-2018 at 03:21 PM.
Pursuivant is online now   Reply With Quote