Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-18-2015, 05:17 AM   #481
ajardoor

Default Re: [RPM] Post your rituals here

Is it a Broad modifier for just rolls on a critical hit table (it doesn't effect attack or damage rolls)? That's only one relatively narrow category of rolls. I assume it's still a Lesser effect?

But, yeah, I can see why I was being too generous before.
Old 11-18-2015, 10:16 AM   #482
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajardoor View Post
Is it a Broad modifier for just rolls on a critical hit table (it doesn't effect attack or damage rolls)? That's only one relatively narrow category of rolls. I assume it's still a Lesser effect?

But, yeah, I can see why I was being too generous before.
I could see a Lesser effect for up to +5 or -5 I suppose, anything higher...no. That said, it's a broad effect because it covers ALL combat skills, even though all combat critical hits use the same table, you have a broad choice of skills to get there.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 07:31 AM   #483
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
You could use a Broad bonus/penalty to give a +1 or -1, I suppose. That actually may be more fair, honestly.
Fair enough. That's a 92 energy charm for +5, which is pricey, but makes any Critical Success into your choice of Maximum Damage or Double Damage (there are no rolls where these aren't options), and you've got around a 50% chance of having the option of Triple Damage. Heck, I'd be tempted to drop the Charm aspect (unless the bonus from a workshop is necessary) and pump that energy into Duration. That makes it last a full day, and you can spend a moment to renew it (for only 7 energy) every day to make it last indefinitely. If you want to keep it a Charm, consider pumping another 2 energy into it for Lesser Sense Chance, causing the Charm to activate when you land a critical hit (that way you're less likely to end up wasting the Charm on a battle where you fail to roll any crits).
Varyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 09:05 AM   #484
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
I could see a Lesser effect for up to +5 or -5 I suppose, anything higher...no. That said, it's a broad effect because it covers ALL combat skills, even though all combat critical hits use the same table, you have a broad choice of skills to get there.
But you only get there 2% of the time. I can see the argument for moderate, but broad seems a little extreme. Look at the opportunity cost. I could put that same bonus on the same effect to doing damage or making attacks.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 01:04 PM   #485
ajardoor

Lucky Hit Charm
Spell Effects:
Lesser Control Chance.
Inherent Modifiers: Duration + Bestows a Modifier, roll on Critical Hit Tables.
Greater Effects: 0 (x1).

Normally cast as a charm, this spell allows its holder to manually adjust their result on the Critical Hit Table or Critical Head Blow Table (B556) by plus or minus 3 - whenever a critical success is rolled on an attack roll - for the duration.

Typical Casting: Lesser Control Chance (5) + Lesser Control Magic (5) + Duration, 30 minutes (2) + Bestows a Modifier, +/-3 to roll on Critical Hit Tables. 32 energy (32x1).
---

Like this?
Old 11-19-2015, 01:42 PM   #486
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
But you only get there 2% of the time. I can see the argument for moderate, but broad seems a little extreme. Look at the opportunity cost. I could put that same bonus on the same effect to doing damage or making attacks.
There is no way to triple or double your base damage for any attack you make, unless you literally take your damage and figure out what double or tripling it would cost as a bonus to attack rolls - even then it's going to get more expensive. Like I said, I can see a case for moderate, but...man, it's just so useful, I don't see why anyone wouldn't have it up.

Become a Patron!
Old 11-19-2015, 01:44 PM   #487
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajardoor View Post
Lucky Hit Charm
Spell Effects:
Lesser Control Chance.
Inherent Modifiers: Duration + Bestows a Modifier, roll on Critical Hit Tables.

Normally cast as a charm, this spell allows its holder to manually adjust their result on the Critical Hit Table or Critical Head Blow Table (B556) by plus or minus 3 - whenever a critical success is rolled on an attack roll - for the duration.

Typical Casting: Lesser Control Chance (5) + Lesser Control Magic (5) + Duration, 30 minutes (2) + Bestows a Modifier, +/-3 to roll on Critical Hit Tables. 32 energy (32x1).
---

Like this?
You'd need to add Bestows a Bonus and Bestows a Penalty. That said, I'd totally allow them to be used for a single effect. Vampiric spells are like that (you have to buy both damage die and healing die) so I don't see why you couldn't here.

Become a Patron!
Old 11-19-2015, 02:02 PM   #488
Varyon

Quote:
There is no way to triple or double your base damage for any attack you make, unless you literally take your damage and figure out what double or tripling it would cost as a bonus to attack rolls - even then it's going to get more expensive. Like I said, I can see a case for moderate, but...man, it's just so useful, I don't see why anyone wouldn't have it up.
Something based on Power Blow could work, but would likely end up quite expensive.

Quote:
You'd need to add Bestows a Bonus and Bestows a Penalty. That said, I'd totally allow them to be used for a single effect. Vampiric spells are like that (you have to buy both damage die and healing die) so I don't see why you couldn't here.
I (and apparently ajardoor) assumed your statement was that a Broad bonus would be sufficient to justify a variable +1 on its own, not that "Critical Hit Table" was itself Broad. Moderate is probably the worst I can see Critical Hit Table being, and honestly there's good reason to call it Narrow - a +3 to hit using Broadsword would be Narrow and would be far more useful roughly 90%+ of the time in combat (assuming you use a Broadsword-class weapon).
Varyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 02:11 PM   #489
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
Something based on Power Blow could work, but would likely end up quite expensive.
True.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
I (and apparently ajardoor) assumed your statement was that a Broad bonus would be sufficient to justify a variable +1 on its own, not that "Critical Hit Table" was itself Broad. Moderate is probably the worst I can see Critical Hit Table being, and honestly there's good reason to call it Narrow - a +3 to hit using Broadsword would be Narrow and would be far more useful roughly 90%+ of the time in combat (assuming you use a Broadsword-class weapon).
The more I think of this, the more I think that medium for all attacks works, while narrow would fit a *single* skill.

Become a Patron!
Old 11-19-2015, 02:16 PM   #490
ajardoor

Lucky Hit Charm
Spell Effects: Lesser Control Chance.
Inherent Modifiers: Duration + Bestows a Bonus and Penalty, roll on Critical Hit Tables.

Typical Casting: Lesser Control Chance (5) + Lesser Control Magic (5) + Duration, 30 minutes (2) + Bestows a Bonus, +3 to roll on Critical Hit Tables (20) + Bestows a Penalty, -3 to roll on Critical Hit Tables (20). 52 energy (52x1).

Tags
ghostly movement, magic, ritual path magic, rpm, thaumatology