Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-19-2015, 11:58 AM   #11
DaltonS

Default Re: [Spaceships] Homebrew - Alternate Contragrav

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
That said, In a setting with this, I'd probably get a 1/3 or 1/10 one for my ship, because there is very little punishment for going undersized unless graviton beams are a dime a dozen. Its very effective at any size.
How about this then.

Commercial G-Screen: As above, but provides 1/10th the gravity shielding at 10% the cost for 1/3rd the power (use small energy points). Commercial vessels use this system in conjunction with underpowered reaction(less) drives (which would otherwise be unable to liftoff against local gravity) to save money. Provides no protection against Tractor Beams or Graviton Guns. Can be jammed by a G-Screen Damper (see below).
Code:
 System Size    SM+4 SM+5 SM+6 SM+7 SM+8 SM+9 SM+10 SM+11 SM+12 SM+13 SM+14 SM+15
Gravity Divisor
        TL11^    1.5  2    3    5    7    10    15   20    30    50     70   100
        TL12^     2   3    5    7    10   15    20   30    50    70    100   150
Cost ($)                                     
  Light screen   15k  50k 150k 500k 1.5M  5M   15M   50M  150M  500M  1.5B    5B
  Heavy screen   50k 150k 500k 1.5M  5M  15M   50M  150M  500M  1.5B   5B    15B
G-Screen Damper (TL11^) [Hull!]
Also known as a Landlock, this system is used by spaceports to prevent vessels using a commercial G-Screen and underpowered drives from leaving without paying their docking (and other) fees. It has no effect on standard (military) grade gravity screens. This system works by disrupting the G-Screen’s integrity and is typically located beneath the surface of the landing pad (or deck). Each system has a base radius of effect equal to range distance for its SM (see the table below) within which it can jam any number of G-Screens of equal or smaller size.
Code:
System Size SM+4 SM+5 SM+6 SM+7 SM+8 SM+9 SM+10 SM+11 SM+12 SM+13 SM+14 SM+15
Range (yds)  10   15   20   30   50   70   100   150   200   300   500   700
  Cost ($)  100k 300k  1M   3M  10M  30M  100M  300M    1B    3B   10B   30B
Or for something a little different.

Armor, Structural Field Variant

Gravity Armor: For double the price, the “unstable exotic matter” of Structural Field Armor (S7:p7) can also act as a commercial grade gravity screen. Use 1/10th the armor’s "dDR" as the divisor applied to a planet’s gravity to determine its effect on the ship. The ship’s mass remains the same however, so the rate of ascent in a vertical take-off would be A-10*G/dDR where A is the spacecraft’s drive acceleration in G, G is the world’s gravity and dDR is the armor’s dDR. To find the effective escape velocity of planet while using the armor, divide its natural escape velocity by the square root of 1/10th the dDR.

Example: An SM+10 (10,000 ton) streamlined ship with gravity armor installed has an effective weight of 666 2/3 tons on a 1G planet. If that planet is Earth, its effective Ve would be 6.96/sqrt(15)=1.797 mps or 6,469 mph.

Note: this assumes that one Grav Armor system is applied to each of the three hull sections.
Dalton “still looking for my Serenity” Spence

Last edited by DaltonS; 05-19-2015 at 12:08 PM.
DaltonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 08:48 AM   #12
DaltonS

Gravity Screen System (TL11^) [Hull!]
I decided to go back to first principles (AKA GURPS Vehicles Expansion 2); by analyzing the “Gravity Screen Table” on page 13, a weight reduction of n% requires n/(100-n) kW per square foot of vehicle surface area, with a cost of $100 per kw used. This makes the “Weight Multiplier” equal to 1/(E+1) where “E” is the number of kw/sf used. Using a standard energy point* (and vehicle density) of 100 kW (and cubic feet) per vehicle ton, and the old standard surface area equation Area(sf) = Volume(cf)^(2/3)×6 from GURPS Vehicles, Second Edition, I used a spreadsheet to calculate the table below. Use the “Weight Multiplier” to find the effective weight of the ship. When using a smaller SM system, use three times the “Weight Multiplier” of the larger system to reflect the reduced power of the screen. If multiple systems are used, consider the screens to be layered (ie. use M^n where “M” is the multiplier as a fraction and “n” is the number of systems). Note that this is NOT a force screen variant, and provides no protection against gravitic weapons. The G-Screen Damper described above may still be used against it.
Code:
  Size    Cost    Weight  |  Size    Cost    Weight  |  Size    Cost    Weight  
Modifier        Multiplier|Modifier        Multiplier|Modifier        Multiplier   
  SM+4     $1 k   37.50%  | SM+9.5  $600 k    6.64%  |  SM+15  $300 M    0.89%
 SM+4.5    $2 k   32.26%  |  SM+10    $1 M    5.66%  | SM+15.5 $600 M    0.71%
  SM+5     $3 k   29.38%  | SM+10.5   $2 M    4.55%  |  SM+16    $1 B    0.60%
 SM+5.5    $6 k   24.82%  |  SM+11    $3 M    3.99%  | SM+16.5   $2 B    0.47%
  SM+6    $10 k   21.78%  | SM+11.5   $6 M    3.20%  |  SM+17    $3 B    0.41%
 SM+6.5   $20 k   18.10%  |  SM+12   $10 M    2.71%  | SM+17.5   $6 B    0.33%
  SM+7    $30 k   16.18%  | SM+12.5  $20 M    2.16%  |  SM+18   $10 B    0.28%
 SM+7.5   $60 k   13.29%  |  SM+13   $30 M    1.89%  | SM+18.5  $20 B    0.22%
  SM+8   $100 k   11.45%  | SM+13.5  $60 M    1.51%  |  SM+19   $30 B    0.19%
 SM+8.5  $200 k    9.31%  |  SM+14  $100 M    1.28%  | SM+19.5  $60 B    0.15%
  SM+9   $300 k    8.23%  | SM+14.5 $200 M    1.02%  |  SM+20  $100 B    0.13%
* The size of a standard energy point I used came from here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaltonS View Post
That was the reason for my sig: an actual RW definition of a Power Point in kW/ton of ship would be very helpful.
We can derive it from two sources: power output of weapons, and power output of electric drives.
Overall, I'd assume 1 ep is somewhere around 100 kW/ton, which is on a par with a reasonable performance ground car (though said car probably isn't spending only 5% of its mass on its power plant).
Dalton “feeling nostalgic about GURPS 3rd Edition Spence

Last edited by DaltonS; 08-01-2015 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Added links to GURPS Vehicles books.
Old 02-16-2017, 11:48 AM   #13
DaltonS

Design Feature: Gravity Proof Paint (TL^)

This esoteric hull coating blocks any external gravity fields, and may be magical, alchemical or super-science in nature. It has much the same lifting ability as etherwood or skystone (1/3 per hull section) but has no effective mass and requires no power. Any hull section covered will be weightless inside without a form of artificial gravity. This does not cancel the effects of other forms of acceleration or the vessel's inertia. I have no idea what it should cost, except it should follow the standard 1-2-5-10 SM price progression.

Dalton “this may be a dead horse, but it's my dead horse” Spence
Old 02-16-2017, 12:28 PM   #14
Flyndaran
Untagged

Thus making turpentine a terrorist weapon?
Old 02-16-2017, 01:33 PM   #15
DaltonS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Thus making turpentine a terrorist weapon?
Well, a weapon at any rate. (How would one model paint damage in GURPS Spaceships anyway? ;) )

Dalton “who'd feel stupid saying "Turpentine Gunner! Fire!"” Spence
Old 02-16-2017, 01:45 PM   #16
Flyndaran
Untagged

I would think simple contact of anything capable of scuffing paint would count. It wouldn't have to be vehicle damage by any Gurps or even common language definition.
But defining what percentage is lost over time scuffed, as that would likely matter greatly for anti-gravity purposes, I have no clue.

On a more serious note, I'd imagine anyone above TL 5 or so would try to laminate or cover up the active paint with some kind of ablative material even if it acts as dead weight.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:08 AM   #17
DaltonS

Quote:
I would think simple contact of anything capable of scuffing paint would count. It wouldn't have to be vehicle damage by any Gurps or even common language definition.
But defining what percentage is lost over time scuffed, as that would likely matter greatly for anti-gravity purposes, I have no clue.
Sounds like a GM decision to me. Probably quarterly touch-ups at 10% standard cost as part of the standard maintenance cycle to keep full effectiveness (with a 10% reduction for each month touch-ups are missed) with a full strip and re-paint every five years at full cost as part of a regular major overhaul and re-certification effort. Note that this assumes the paint is exposed to the elements (such as they are); paint layers under armor systems (see below) or stealth hull options (SS1. p.30) can be considered maintenance free unless major hull damage has occurred.

Quote:
On a more serious note, I'd imagine anyone above TL 5 or so would try to laminate or cover up the active paint with some kind of ablative material even if it acts as dead weight.
An interesting point. If the GPP layer is "protected" by an armor system, the "weight" of that hull section would be reduced by the mass of the other systems in that section. Thus lift-off thrust would only need to exceed 15% of the ship's mass times local gravity if each hull section has an armor system protecting the paint. As always, net acceleration = (total thrust - lift off thrust)/(ship mass). To find the effective escape velocity from a planet for this ship, multiply the planet's natural escape velocity by the square root of 0.15 (0.3873 approx.). Because this isn't a force field, I'm not sure if the G-Screen Damper mentioned above would work. Maybe a big electro-magnet could hold an iron/steel armored ship in place. This would be a "magnetic tractor beam" system (SS7 p.20).

Dalton “isn't re-painting the ship a crew function?” Spence

Last edited by DaltonS; 02-17-2017 at 10:33 AM. Reason: Found "magnetic tractor beam" reference.

Tags
spaceships