Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-02-2017, 07:30 PM   #11
GilliganIII

Default Re: ADHD in Gurps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
Well, when I proposed Absent-Mindedness, I wasn't proposing to have it take the place of Single-Minded; I was just proposing it as a better way to represent the failure of attention side. I sort of assumed you would combine the two. I'm afraid it didn't occur to me that that might not be obvious!
You're right, it works exactly as you stated it would and is an excellent replacement for "short attention span". I should've gone back to re-read your post, but I was in a rush and for that I apologize.

Thank you all, for your input, as it has helped me reevaluate the disadvantage, and given me some more ideas to work with. It is appreciated. I will consider any future comments a boon as well.

Last edited by GilliganIII; 02-08-2018 at 10:03 PM.
GilliganIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 08:09 PM   #12
draxdeveloper

Ok, there two things that I think need to be added.
1) hyperactivity
2) execution defict. People with ADHD have less fuel to do things and achieve objectives, also tend to have willpower issues. To a lot of us (i have ADHD) is a victory to end the day as planned, even if it was a common day (clean the house, go to work without being late and doing all the tasks there)
draxdeveloper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 09:00 PM   #13
Phantasm

Some of us are also Stubborn when we hit the hyper-focus. We'll stick with whatever it is that's got our attention, blocking out all external sources, and keep at it until we exhaust ourselves.

So common traits seem to be: Single-Minded (an advantage), Short Attention Span, Laziness, and Stubbornness (all three disadvantages). The Short Attention Span and Laziness often manifest together, as do the Single-Minded and Stubbornness.

I really can't think of an elegant way to combine the four. It might be suitable to just make a custom disadvantage that sometimes has beneficial side-effects.

YMMV, though.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 01:57 AM   #14
GilliganIII

I like the Hyperactivity addition.

I think it is important to note that although I myself have suffered from some of the additional suggestions, I have also found pharmaceuticals and herbal remedies that aid in overcoming these disadvantages, even if only temporarily.

So in a modern setting, I would say there should be at least 1 drug type Mitigation available for each of these disadvantages, if not more than one disadvantage.
There should also be downsides to some of these mitigators.
One downside would be that only certain rare or expensive mitigators are able to completely remove all the disadvantages of ADD/ADHD and keep it's benefits.
Otherwise, the more common a mitigator is, the more advantages are removed along with the removal of the disadvantages.
This would represent the difficulty most of our tribe have in finding a suitable remedy for the downsides that accompany our advantage.
Old 09-10-2017, 03:43 PM   #15
draxdeveloper

some toughts about new Disads that would add to ADHD disad

Hyperactivity, have no idea how create this one
Something related to the Execution Deficit. ADHD causes something called Execution Deficit. Who have ADHD are less propensity to do things (In general) unless are of it's interest AND have a short reward recompense. This could be represented by a reduction in willpower rolls, because it's fell that we have less "fuel" to do the things.
Emotional Instability, in some level. But not in a bipolar level.
Also the hyper-focus can't be a advantage with 5 as cost because there is some limitations.
And ADHD CANNOT control when or even what give him hyper-focus.
There is some things that generally activate an hyper-focus state (someone can say: programming is my hyper-focus or writing is my hyper-focus) but it's just it, and ADHD cannot sit and say: "ok, i will enter hyper-focus to write)
Thinking about it, hyper-focus could be something related to one to three skills, anything beside this have a lesser chance to activate the hyper-focus state.
Also, to activate the GM would have to do a roll to see if the state will be activate or not, if it's activated then the PC HAVE to enter in HF state
Old 09-10-2017, 05:12 PM   #16
whswhs

I think that hyperactivity is an Odious Personal Habit, probably worth -5 points for most people.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 06:14 PM   #17
draxdeveloper

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
I think that hyperactivity is an Odious Personal Habit, probably worth -5 points for most people.
hum... maybe it can fit.

About hyperfocus here is a idea

The character have hyperfocus, he can act as single-minded but don't have control on it.
The player can choose up to 3 skills to be they "hyperfocus"
Each time the player have to use one of this skills the GM can make a secret roll (don't know against what, maybe a fixed value?). If it's succeed then the character HAVE to enter in hyperfocus.
The GM can roll at times that are not the char hyperfocus (but it's a rare occasion)
If the character enter in hyperfocus, treat as single-minded for a period of time.
The char can try to leave the hyperfocus each half hour, and have to roll self control to do it (he can roll in the begging to avoid it)

Also something that is related to the "lack of willpower" or execution disorder:
The character have difficulty in getting motivated. Any task that is not interesting and have a short-term reward will suffer a -1 penalty unless the char succeeds a self control roll.
If the task is related to willpower the penalty is -2
Old 09-11-2017, 01:44 AM   #18
GilliganIII

ADD
Absent-minded+ single-minded + short attention span +laziness +stuborness + Odious Personal Habit
-15+5-10-10-(5 to 15)= -35 to -45 points

Short Attention Span
Make a self-control roll whenever you must maintain interest in something for an extended period of time,
or whenever a distraction is offered.
If you fail,
you automatically fail at the task at hand.

Absent-Minded
You have -5 on all IQ and IQ-based skill rolls, save those for the task you are currently concentrating on.
Once adrift in your own thoughts,
you must roll against Perception-5 in order to notice any event short of personal physical injury.
You may attempt to rivet your attention on a boring topic through sheer strength of will,
make a Will-5 roll once every five minutes.

Singl-Minded
If you Succeed Single Minded kicks in.
You get +3 to success rolls for any lengthy mental task you concentrate on to the exclusion of other activities,
if the GM feels such focus would be beneficial.
You tend to ignore everything else while obsessed
(roll vs. Will to avoid this),
and have -5 to all rolls to notice interruptions.

Absent-Minded
Absent-minded individuals also tend to forget trivial tasks or items,
and if it becomes important that you have performed a task or brought an item,
the GM should call for a roll against IQ-2.

Laziness
Your chances of getting a raise or promotion in any job are halved.
If you are self-employed,
halve your monthly pay (see Jobs, p. 516).
You must avoid work – especially hard work – at all costs.

You always want your own way and are at a constant high level of energy.
Your friends may have to make a lot of Fast-Talk rolls to get you to go along with perfectly reasonable plans.
Others react to you at -2-4(w/oph)
An Odious Personal Habit (OPH) is worth -5 points for every -1 to reaction rolls made by people who notice your problem.

Personally I think Laziness, and Stubborness are more individual disadvantages,
but Odious Personality Habit is almost perfect for hyperactivity.
I think the only thing it's missing is the high energy/activity levels.
Short Attention Span is a little simple,
but it could work for Games where everybody wants to roll less every time a certain character wants to do something.

Sorta like this
-10+5-( 5to 15)= -10 to -25 Point Disadvantage

Short Attention Span
Make a self-control roll whenever you must maintain interest in something for an extended period of time,
or whenever a distraction is offered.
If you fail,
you automatically fail at the task at hand.

Singl-Minded
If you Succeed Single Minded kicks in.
You get +3 to success rolls for any lengthy mental task you concentrate on to the exclusion of other activities,
if the GM feels such focus would be beneficial.
You tend to ignore everything else while obsessed (roll vs. Will to avoid this),
and have -5 to all rolls to notice interruptions.

Hyperactive
An Odious Personal Habit (OPH) is worth -5 points for every -1 to reaction rolls made by people who notice your problem.

This is what I think should be the Template for ADHD,
but if left unchecked the first Disadvantage could quickly become a reality.
I'm beginning to see more and more why our tribe is misunderstood as a simple case of having trouble paying attention.

Last edited by GilliganIII; 09-11-2017 at 04:47 PM. Reason: Word spacing
Old 09-11-2017, 04:52 PM   #19
GilliganIII

I made an edit to the previous post; I do not think Short Attention Span is an Individual Disadvantage separate from ADD. I was including the disadvantages I thought would be best left out of the overall premise of ADD or replaced with better Disadvantages. I think Absent-Minded is better than Short Attention Span, and I've met ADHDers who are definitely neither Lazy nor Stubborn.
Old 02-08-2018, 10:42 PM   #20
GilliganIII

Thank you to all who have commented on this post. As I reread them and learn more about our tribe I realize that all of your suggestions are valid. Some are ADD symptoms and some are side effects.

However, I was wondering what would be the advantages that reflect the symptoms of Inattention, Hyperactivity, and Impulsivity?