Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 03-26-2014, 07:52 AM   #1
naraht

Default Intention to get dissonance...

I'm imagining the end of a battle... The Seraph and Ofanite of War are in Trauma, the Soldier of War has only a few weeks to live (and will be on significant machine support for that amoung of time) and the Cherub of the Wind is able to walk around. The Cherub of the Wind *wants* to be there for the Soldier of War (they've worked together for several decades), but that would mean dissonance for staying in one place. Could the Cherub request that Janus allow him to take this dissonance and then after the Soldier passes away, work it off somehow?

(Note, I find the idea of Angels of the Wind working off word dissonance by working in tethers to be sort of paradoxical.)

Last edited by naraht; 03-26-2014 at 08:07 AM.
naraht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 09:12 AM   #2
William

Default Re: Intention to get dissonance...

Several [I]weeks[I] of this is enough for several levels of Discord, if the angel converts it all to Discord rather than possibly becoming Outcast or Fallen. That's an extreme request. Assuming the guy is beyond the saving of Corporeal Healing, here are some more creative options:

Is there a Dreams Tether nearby, or another means by which to enter the Marches? The angel can spend three days at a time with his friend in the real world (of course, the Soldier is asleep some of the time), and then three days at a time in the Marches with him as he dreams. That way he's with the guy at least part of every day.

Is the guy's equipment mobile? It might be expensive to make mobile, but if it's doable, maybe the guy could follow the Cherub.

Dissonance isn't a casual thing to be scrubbed for the sake of staying with a friend. I think any Superior would find this request extremely dubious. Imagine if an angel of Jean asked to spend a few weeks with a friend even though it meant releasing several bits of Heavenly technology to humanity at large, or if a Novaline wanted to do so even though it meant engaging in regular violence.
William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 03:35 PM   #3
Jason

In general, I (as GM) see most Archangels as pretty lenient with dissonance earned for understandable reasons in the line of duty. (Michael is particularly understanding, IIRC from Superiors 1.)

That said, another way to look at this is: Would a Servitor of the Wind even be capable of just sitting at a bedside for that long? Remember, dissonance conditions aren't just traditional or symbolic rules that angels choose to follow, like a modern religious person forsaking eating pork or giving up something for Lent. Their Superior's Word is part of their own very nature, and the dissonance condition is part of how that nature is present in all Servitors serving that Word.

So, personally, I see Servitors of the Wind in this situation spending as much time as they can by the Soldier's bedside, but feeling compelled to pace around the room, take a long walk or a short drive every now and then, or climb up the nearest mountaintop to scream out their pain and frustration into the wind. They want to be there for their friend, but they are what they are, and Soldiers who've been in the game for any appreciable length of time know that angels are just a bit alien in that way.
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 04:41 PM   #4
Elberon

A windy asking that kind of question would I imagine be asked if this event is a trigger for some deeper issue around working for the right Archangel (and a spring board to exciting fun new things to explore, like Destiny.....)
Elberon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 05:00 PM   #5
robkelk
Untitled

There is a way around the intent of the Dissonance Condition: the "ping pong" (spend one day here, one day elsewhere, one day here, one day elsewhere, one day here, one day elsewhere, and so on). It's even listed (in the APG, if I recall correctly) as being permitted.

But I'd be hesitant to allow it, if I was the GM. Is the angel getting too attached to a particular human and losing touch with humanity? (That's usually accepted behaviour for Cherubim, but even a Cherub has to let go some time. Members of other Choirs should be getting some pointed questions asked about motives.)
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 05:39 PM   #6
Elberon

Quote:
Originally Posted by naraht View Post
The Cherub of the Wind *wants* to be there for the Soldier of War
Perhaps a Lilim can show him how if that want is needy enough....
Elberon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 07:46 AM   #7
Omegonthesane

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkelk View Post
There is a way around the intent of the Dissonance Condition: the "ping pong" (spend one day here, one day elsewhere, one day here, one day elsewhere, one day here, one day elsewhere, and so on). It's even listed (in the APG, if I recall correctly) as being permitted.

But I'd be hesitant to allow it, if I was the GM. Is the angel getting too attached to a particular human and losing touch with humanity? (That's usually accepted behaviour for Cherubim, but even a Cherub has to let go some time. Members of other Choirs should be getting some pointed questions asked about motives.)
Ping-pong is a simple necessity if you want Wind (or Theft!) servitors to actually continually contribute to a campaign in a set location. Forbidding it under any circumstances directly makes Windies less playable without any material thematic improvement.

Honestly though, what was done to the Soldier to make it impossible to undo with the Corporeal Song of Healing? The Song explicitly regrows recently severed limbs, it seems a natural extension for it to regrow any body part that has recently been wholly or partially removed. Cut out the defunct spine and grow a new one with the Song, Soldiers are worth it. Merely being there for your old friend is laudable if it's all you can do, but it's cowardly and lazy if you could instead bring them back to health.
Omegonthesane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 03:10 PM   #8
alexondria

If they can't be saved (old age, someone's destiny has to do with how they handle said soldier's death, ect...) you may be looking at a windy about to commit murder. Think about it a soldier that has a windy that attached to them probably doesn't want to stay in one place either. It would be a mercy you see...
alexondria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 05:01 PM   #9
Omegonthesane

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexondria View Post
If they can't be saved (old age, someone's destiny has to do with how they handle said soldier's death, ect...) you may be looking at a windy about to commit murder. Think about it a soldier that has a windy that attached to them probably doesn't want to stay in one place either. It would be a mercy you see...
Plus, it's at most two point of dissonance (a Cherub assaulting & murdering their attuned) vs. countless points (a Windy staying still).

I'm still in favour of Corporea Healing based regenerative surgery but simple slaughter is also an option.
Omegonthesane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 06:30 PM   #10
William

Generally speaking, I doubt killing a helpless human -- for any purpose -- is likely to be an idea that occurs to most angels.
William is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cherubim, janus