Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 12-11-2018, 10:46 AM   #11
Mallen the dark

Default Re: Waterslide transfer question

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky00 View Post
A good way to make water slides blend in is first do a gloss coat to get a perfectly smooth surface, apply the decal, then dull coat the entire mini. The decal will blend right in.
Sounds easy. I hope to start painting again this weekend. Will keep this in mind.
Mallen the dark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 11:29 AM   #12
ColBosch

The two-coat method will also give you super-durable paint jobs. It's recommended by many professional painters. The key is to practice! Experiment with a few extra pieces until you get the feel of how the varnishes work. I actually recommend practicing with metal minis at first, since they're easy to strip with a little acetone.
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 03:52 PM   #13
Mallen the dark

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColBosch View Post
The two-coat method will also give you super-durable paint jobs. It's recommended by many professional painters. The key is to practice! Experiment with a few extra pieces until you get the feel of how the varnishes work. I actually recommend practicing with metal minis at first, since they're easy to strip with a little acetone.
That works, my son wants me to paint his metal army.
Old 12-31-2018, 05:21 AM   #14
Mallen the dark

Wild alternate idea from my wife. Instead of using transfers, make a rubber stamp. Has anyone done this before? I know we are talking tiny to fit on a light tank. Just curious if this is not as crazy as it sounds.

For ogres and bigger models from other companies, I like this idea.
Old 12-31-2018, 08:15 AM   #15
Mack_JB

I tried this long ago (around the late 80s) for lettering model railroad stuff, and even the nicest quality rubber stamp you could get left me wanting. You really have to experiment with the paint (o ink) to thinner ratio to get coverage without 'splooshing' the ink or paint all over -- but for a simple logo (PE helmet, NAC hourglass) you might be able to get good results.

That said, 'tampo' decorations have been used forever in professional manufacture of toys, but that requires much better application machinery. ISTR "Micro-Mark" had a sort of tampo kit at one time.
Mack_JB is offline   Reply With Quote