Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Old 05-18-2012, 02:20 AM   #41
Too Bo Coo

Default Re: Can kickstarter revive Car Wars minis

Thanks! I play a few different games right now that all use more or less the same vehicles. So they are equally good for Dark Future road matches to 5e arena fights.

I really enjoy the modeling! I am finishing an old Dark Future model that will be perfect for Car Wars.
Too Bo Coo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 01:45 PM   #42
ARBco

I have no idea how practical it is as an idea, but I'd love to see 1:64 toy cars (perhaps without working wheels, so they aren't rolling around the board). Other than that, I'd be more excited to see papercraft cars than the old minis.
ARBco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 10:29 PM   #43
LokRobster

Your Road Warrior V8-interceptor is the best conversion I've seen!
Old 05-19-2012, 05:50 AM   #44
tstone

Eh...minis, ok. I'm just glad the old girl is going to be back for Sunday Driving as a BOARD GAME.
tstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 11:00 AM   #45
MongolHorde

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARBco View Post
I have no idea how practical it is as an idea, but I'd love to see 1:64 toy cars (perhaps without working wheels, so they aren't rolling around the board). Other than that, I'd be more excited to see papercraft cars than the old minis.
I would think, if you don't mind them never rolling, you could put a blob of hot glue or white glue between one or two of the wheels and the body of the toy car.

Papercraft cars might not be that bad to do, as you're looking at (mostly) a box shape. If you don't mind completely flat roofs, it be relatively easy I would think to do this...
MongolHorde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 01:15 PM   #46
Too Bo Coo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LokRobster View Post
Your Road Warrior V8-interceptor is the best conversion I've seen!
Cheers! :)
Old 05-19-2012, 01:16 PM   #47
Too Bo Coo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MongolHorde View Post
I would think, if you don't mind them never rolling, you could put a blob of hot glue or white glue between one or two of the wheels and the body of the toy car.

Papercraft cars might not be that bad to do, as you're looking at (mostly) a box shape. If you don't mind completely flat roofs, it be relatively easy I would think to do this...
I use a hot glue gun to disable the wheels and to do final assembly. Matchbox/Hotwheels, etc are stupidly easy to convert.....
Old 05-20-2012, 10:15 AM   #48
tikiphantom

I think the game should have 3X scale paper miniatures. Players can make their own minis with HW/MB cars. The idea of minis from Steve Jackson would make the game too expensive! I would rather have maps and rules made by the publisher. Minis can be made cheaper by me.
tikiphantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 01:49 PM   #49
Angrytubist

I would prefer the game come with heavy cardboard flat counters, in both 1x and 3x scaleshttp://forums.sjgames.com/showthread...=91077&page=17 my rationale is in the thread linked.

However, I would love to see weapon and armor sprues scaled to be glued to 3x-1/64 toy cars. cycles, trikes, pedestrians, and debris counters would be useful as well.

I would buy mini's in 1x scale though as long as they were reasonably priced. I believe that they would be pretty close to N model railroading scale for terrain as well.
Angrytubist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 05:54 PM   #50
GrauGeist
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjamma4 View Post
If 2X is the smallest scale you use, you will probably lose sales.

Based upon complaints about the 3X scale in 5e and the increased playing area needed,

I'm going to stand by my assertion that 1.5X is about as large as you can use for the smallest scale.
Agree. 2X is a an in-between which has neither the 3-D variety and finish of a Hot Wheels car, nor the smallness to allow for intricate City / Arena maps.

3X is OK for low-speed Arena / demo combat, but it strongly limits strategies and play. After all - an Arena on a 6' x 4' play area is only about as large as a NFL football field, including the end zones (117 scale yards end to end).

At 3X, speeds are pretty tight - if you convert a 6' x 4' board to an "oval" racetrack, it's only about 1/8 mile long. - half the size of a typical 1/4 mile "short track".

For reference, the 2.5-mile Daytona's back straight is approximately 1 km, whereas smaller ovals may be only about 1/2 mile long (so the straights would be around 200-250 yards).

At 1X, a 6' x 4' board supports a legitmate 3/8-mile "short track", while 1.5X produces a common 1/4-mile "short track".
GrauGeist is offline   Reply With Quote