Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Old 05-13-2012, 10:50 AM   #21
Chris Goodwin

Default Re: Can kickstarter revive Car Wars minis

There's a huge community of people (Thingiverse) who create and share 3d files as open source, just for the joy of creating and sharing.

3d printers are also not really ideal for mass producing items, though they're quite usable for prototypes, one-offs, etc. They'd be great for creating a handful of minis for personal use.

I've started a subreddit for discussion of INWO and Illuminati. Check it out!

Last edited by Chris Goodwin; 05-13-2012 at 10:54 AM.
Chris Goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 11:52 AM   #22
Kenigma

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWScott View Post
...sell them for profit using someone else's intellectual property.

I think there's a lot of legal wranglings before selling and distributing 3D design files.
Who said anything about selling them? I'd just want to be able to fab my own as needed.

of course....

There other sites doing similar things, though with paper models. But that would be like me buying the paper outlines and then printing and assembling them... then selling them.... You could do that and I'm sure there would be a market... but I can't imagine it would be large.

In the case of the models if I have a 3D printer I suppose I could try to undersell someone, but unless I had a proper production house I doubt it would be profitable.
Kenigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 11:53 AM   #23
Kenigma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Goodwin View Post
There's a huge community of people (Thingiverse) who create and share 3d files as open source, just for the joy of creating and sharing.

3d printers are also not really ideal for mass producing items, though they're quite usable for prototypes, one-offs, etc. They'd be great for creating a handful of minis for personal use.
What he said.... =)
Kenigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 12:07 PM   #24
Aahz.

I'm betting if the promise of reviving Ogre Minis comes through that would certainly give inroads into making Car Wars minis when the time came.

Personally I want several car bodies with wheel and weapon sprues to customize them. I could happily fill my office with hundreds of pounds of something that flexible.
Aahz. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 04:59 AM   #25
terryocarroll

I'd be happy with gunz and bitz that I could glue onto Matchbox cars.
terryocarroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 06:24 AM   #26
Jeffr0

Hot Lead!

Old 05-14-2012, 09:30 AM   #27
The Gonk

Speaking as a primarily miniatures gamer-- it seems to me that the majority of people playing these sorts of games want to hack up Hot Wheels and play with them.

I think the best bet for SJG would to do 1/100 scale miniatures, as 15mm in general is probably the most popular non-GW game scale right now-- especially for Sci-Fi-- and it's also small enough for Car Wars games, being about 1.5-2x the counter scale.

So, do a full line of 15mm cars for play at ~2x, and a few packs of 1/60 accessories for Hot Wheels conversions at ~3x. Both of these would appeal to miniature wargamers in general.
Old 05-14-2012, 12:06 PM   #28
Aahz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gonk View Post
I think the best bet for SJG would to do 1/100 scale miniatures, as 15mm in general is probably the most popular non-GW game scale right now-- especially for Sci-Fi-- and it's also small enough for Car Wars games, being about 1.5-2x the counter scale.

So, do a full line of 15mm cars for play at ~2x, and a few packs of 1/60 accessories for Hot Wheels conversions at ~3x. Both of these would appeal to miniature wargamers in general.
I'd buy that but I wonder if two scales in the same line would just confuse people.
Aahz. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 12:40 PM   #29
Buzzardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aahz. View Post
I wonder if two scales in the same line would just confuse people.
That's definitely a concern. They'd have to be clearly marked as belong to go with one set or another. I think it would be better to go with one scale, though I like the idea of having options.

Want a random dungeon? How about some tables for that? How about a random encounter?
Buzzardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 12:51 PM   #30
kjamma4

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gonk View Post
Still too big for the kitchen table. At best, the smallest official scale probably shouldn't be larger than 1.5X.
kjamma4 is offline   Reply With Quote